Saturday, June 28, 2014

Flowers after the Rain


Remember my referring to the rain we have been having as our "monsoon season"?  I thought I'd share with you the beautiful flowers in my back yard since we have had the rain and the warm (not scorching) sunshine.  The caladiums and the coleus are practically dancing in the pots, they are so happy, happy, happy! 




The Black-eyed Susans have popped open, and you can see the gardenia bush (not blooming) and the hostas behind them. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 




The Verbena is still a lovely shade of purple and looks fabulous against the backdrop of the hostas.  We are also in the process of redoing our rocks and stones around the flower beds, so we can keep the grass out.  The grass just grows through the rock and up through the stones and into the mulch.  We spend lots of time pulling out the grass (Bermuda).  The grass is very lush and green right now and feels so good on your bare toes!


Next up is the Mexican petunia.  There are actually two kinds of Mexican petunias, some little short plants (we have white) and some very tall (ours are purple).  They also reproduce and spread.  We dug some up this year and moved them to another part of the yard, and those are also doing well.  These blooms will fall off overnight, and the new blooms will be there in the morning.


Note that the hostas are already shooting up their blooms!  These are all white, and are just starting.  I think they look a little weird against the hostas, kind of like they don't really belong there.


This red bloom (behind the red roses and the cactus) is our new crepe myrtle.  We planted this last year, and it is growing very well.  It has also just started to bloom.  The vines on the fence are a combination of clematis (now in it's second bloom) and the pink coral vine.  What a joy to see so much color! 

I snapped these pictures while my banana bread was baking.  I'll share the recipe tomorrow.
How does your garden grow?

Enjoy the day!
Linda


 




4 comments:

Wandering Wren said...

Hi Linda
I've just had a lovely time wandering round your blog. Of course I was gripped at the point of getting to know a woman who can garden and blog both with such style, whilst baking a banana bread, but then there was the Habitat for Humanity, (who we support) volunteering (my life is enriched by my volunteer work with Asylum Seekers) and your comments on Tiger Woods, we love all things sports related here, and I loved reading your opinion AND of course the cute Polly ^..^
I shall enjoy following you - have a great week!
Wren x

Linda Kay Christensen said...

Thanks so much for joining in, and for your kind thoughts! Hope to see you online again soon. Lots of exciting things happening in my life, and hope I can help others find excitement and fun as well. ;-)

Kay said...

Looks like the rain has done wonderful things to your garden. I'm afraid the abundant rains here has affected our mango crop this year. Sigh...

Linda Kay Christensen said...

Thanks for checking in on the blog. We have really enjoyed the flowers. My brother in Illinois is also in good shape with crops this year on the farm. Sorry about your mangos. Last year in Texas we lost peach crop to an early freeze.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...