Friday, July 18, 2014

Beach Blanket Books






As I was reading through the AARP Bulletin, I found an article on Beach Blanket Books, and it brought back some memories.  When I think of the beach, I can't help but think of Annette Funicello.  I've included a link to both the magazine and Annette to refresh your memory.  Also, the listing of books in this article was for "50 years of hot summer reads".  Here are some of the highlights:





1965 - Up the Down Staircase by Bel Kaufman
1969 - The Godfather by Mario Puzo
1970 - Love Story by Erich Segal
1974 - Jaws by Peter Benchley
1979 - Sophie's Choice by William Styron
1985 - Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry
1989 - The Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan
1992 - Waiting to Exhale by Terry McMillan
1993 - The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller
1998 - Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom
1999 - Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K.Rowling
2003 - The DeVinci Code by Dan Brown
2006 - Marley and Me by John Grogan
2007 - Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
2009 - The Shack by William P. Young

And the list goes on and on....check out the Bulletin for a complete list.  I think I'll get a couple of these that I haven't  downloaded.

A friend sent me some pictures with a caption, Pictures that need no caption.  I think some of these came from PInterest, but I think it's OK to share them with you here on the blog:








Hope you enjoy these as I did.  Have a great weekend!
Linda

10 comments:

Margaret Adamson said...

Love the beach shot and the orange and blue compliment each other so well. I had a real laugh when I watch the other shots. thanks and have a great weekend.I have justread on the side bar that you have published your first book. Well done.

eileeninmd said...

Love the beach shot, I wish I was there! I am not sure if I would want to read Jaws at the beach... I love the last shot of the dog and fireman.. Happy Friday!

Lin Floyd said...

interesting most of those books became movies also...liked the photos-great prompt for writing a story!

Linda Kay Christensen said...

That picture is really awesome, and so shows how hard the fireman's work is, right?

Linda Kay Christensen said...

Lin, each one of those pictures could generate a poem or a story, right? Love that little owl!

eViL pOp TaRt said...

I love the cute little owl wearing a bonnet!
Lonesome Dove is available also on DVD. The book is an excellent read.

Amy at love made my home said...

Marley and Me is definitely well worth a read, it is a lovely book and will make you laugh a lot which is ideal in a summer read isn't it! xx

Revrunner said...

Hmm, nothing more relaxing than good history.

Saucy Kodz said...

You are right - no caption needed - I am sure we could all fill a journal with thoughts in reference to each photo. Read most of the books, and would love to read them again. There are many times, when a favourite book is a best second or more read. Very nice post and have a lovely weekend :)

Linda Kay said...

You are definitely right about the reread...we have some older books here in the house, but I never pick them up to read through them. Time just runs out! Thanks for stopping by...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...