Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Car Show, Texas History


Success!  Another car show (in Kerrville), where Jerry won a first place trophy.  I don't know if I have told you the history of the car.  Jerry 's grandfather bought him the car when he was sixteen.  We have hauled that car around with us in it's very rusted condition for a long time, then we finally bit the bullet and had it restored.  The restorer did a great job, so Jerry now gets to drive it around and enter it in some car shows.  










The weather is getting way too hot to sit with it for now, so we probably won't enter the car again until later this fall.  There is a local car club we are looking into.  We are thinking about joining the Fredericksburg Vintage Car Club , as they have a lot of fun going on tours and meeting together.  


Some of my friends and I were in charge of the ladies' coffee today at our Heritage Hill Country Club House.  I was in charge of sandwiches, so Jerry helped me cut out cute little sandwich parts.  We had cucumber on white (clover shaped), chicken salad on wheat (heart shaped), and salmon salad on rye (round).  Others on the committee brought an interesting mix of goodies.  I took this picture after everyone went through the line...the watermelon basket was full of fruit, and before it was over, there were only two sandwiches left...the salmon salad.

Our speaker for the day was my neighbor Carolyn.  Carolyn's family used to own a ranch on which our subdivision was built, so she has lots of memories of the Fredericksburg area.  Carolyn is 84, and she says she certainly would not want to go back to those old days.  She prefers our more modern conveniences.  The work was hard, but they had lots of fun times.
She brought along some pictures of the ranch and her ancestors that were priceless.

Going to be a hot one in Texas today.... how about where you live?
Linda


12 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

It looks like a beautiful, fun antique automobile. And congratulations on the trophy.

You have a nice blog. Thanks for joining mine.

Angel

Beth said...

It is going to be a lovely day here in central Illinois. Sunshine and high in the upper 70s.
Congrats to your husband on the trophy! Very nice and the car is beautiful. I enjoyed the video too!

Linda Kay Christensen said...

That car is so much fun to drive....takes me back to carefree days in my teens! I have a daughter named Angel, actually Angela.

Linda Kay Christensen said...

I can't imagine having the windows open for that nice cool breeze. Enjoy it Beth.

TexWisGirl said...

looks like a very pretty car! congrats! love the watermelon basket. :)

Cynthia said...

That's really special that your husband has the car his grandfather gave him and gets to display it. Cute sandwiches.

Wandering Wren said...

Hi Linda
I loved the U Tube video, it gave me a good feel of the area, and can now picture you all munching on your sarnie's and enjoying watermelon and an interesting talk from your neighbour.
The car story is wonderful the fact that you have kept it all these years and are now winning trophies and enjoying the car again, keep winning and you maybe able to afford to have the air con retrofitted - just joking!!
Glad you have enjoyed my Bangkok photos and for the words I add using an app called PicMonkey, it is easy but fellow blogger MaryDenman at blogspot has been running some post on how to use, check her out. You will find all the info there.
Wren x

Lin Floyd said...

It will be 102 today here in So. Utah desert country. Went for a walk at 6 am with a friend and it was 81 already with humidity from the monsoons....

Linda Kay Christensen said...

Thanks so much for the website. I was able to put some labels on some pictures, so feel like a real geek at the moment! My husband takes so many pictures that we put into albums, so I will love having this label to indicate the date and his name on the photograph.

Wandering Wren said...

Well done! I will look forward to seeing.
Wren x

Anonymous said...

Faith says: I prefer the one with the tree trunks.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Jerry. That is one beautiful car! I am sorry I missed Carolyn's talk I'm sure it was very interesting. The food goodies l look delicious.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...