Sunday, July 20, 2014

Forgiveness by Lucado



You'll Get Through This: Hope and Help in Turbulent Times

My Sunday School class is working through this book by Max Lucado. 

Many times we could just about fall asleep, or do drift off when we are listening to a discussion that doesn't really effect us, but other times we become engaged and inspired during the discussion.  Today our class focused on Chapter 10, "Now About Those Family Scandals and Scoundrels". The story is in the Bible, Genesis 41 and 42.   Max's writes in this chapter about Joseph as the Prime Minister of Egypt, gold around his neck and such, when his brothers came to try to obtain food in the time of Joseph's predicted famine in the area.  These are the same brothers who traded him off for a few coins to be then sold into slavery in Egypt.   They did not recognize him, but he knew them right away.  The drama that ensues is very interesting.  We had quite a discussion on the effects of forgiveness, and not only forgiveness but the "forgetting" that goes along with that.  

Most families (or other relationships) have some dysfunction that may or may not be addressed, leaving hurt feelings, resentment, and a tendency to avoid any discussion.  

So I just wanted to share this information with you today, so that we could think on how forgiveness in our relationships might change things for us as well.  Today I am sending you a big hug and hopes that you might find peace in addressing any unresolved issues in your life.  

Have a restful, peaceful Sunday.

Linda

8 comments:

Lin Floyd said...

I wrote a book about this topic: Discover Your Voice After Divorce: Writing Exercises for Healing and Recovery. See http://www.amazon.com/kindle/dp/B00GQ0OV8U/

Linda Kay said...

Excellent! Having been there, I will get your book and enjoy it, I'm sure. It's been a long time since I passed that way, but forgiveness is totally applicable.

orchid Miyako said...

Hello, Linda; So sorry that I'm not familiar with the book or Bible but I sure agree with you that 'Forgiveness' is important to create good relationship♪ I was impressed by your last phrase, my dear new friend.

PS> I am so glad to hear that you have a good sleep at night and thank for reminding me the phrase :-)
Sending you Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

Saucy Kodz said...

What a happier, more content world we would have if people were only able to forgive and forget. . Good topic to talk about.

Gail said...

I forgive easier but forgetting in the harder part. I have much work to do.

Linda Kay said...

Lin, I have this on my list of books to read. Will be happy to write a review when I'm through it. Thanks!

Lynda R Young said...

Forgiveness is crucial :)

Abelle | The Wows! And Oops! Of Life said...

Hello Linda!

The moment I read your blog name from my comments list, I knew right then that this will be an interesting read. I love hearing from people who are, well, my senior. It's because I learn a lot from them and they give good advice!

Clicking on your link, I was surprised to see the title. This topic - 'Forgiveness' - is a big word for me. It's because it's the one thing I find very hard to give. As I always tell people, I don't forgive, I don't forget, I just move on'. This is particularly for those people I trusted so much but did me wrong, and there are only 2 in particular - my exes. Haha!

By the way, I love reading and writing. I also dream of writing a book someday, but with my current situation, I don't think it will come soon. I've been planning also to try drawing again. But do you know the feeling of you want to do so many things, you can't even start? Well, that's me now ;o)

Happy blogging from the Philippines! ;o)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...