Saturday, July 19, 2014

...How Does Your Garden Grow???

This morning I took some pictures of our beautiful back yard and the flowers that are growing there.  Many of my fellow bloggers have taken some lovely shots of flowers on walks or hikes with some very fine cameras, like maybe a Nikon with a fancy lens that my husband uses.  I just grabbed my cell phone and focused in on a few things to share with you.  The first is the cactus garden at the far end of the yard.  The cacti are actually having babies, as you might see in the photo.  These are usually about two feet away from the mother plant in any direction.  The flowering one is a Russian sage, not really a cactus, but needs little water and sandy soil.


This is the view on the North side of the yard.  There is Turk's cap on the far end next to the wall with the red blooms, the light blue flower is Plumbago,then red roses.  In front is the ever healthy lantana, which grows abundantly in the south.


The flowers along the South fence start with the blooming hostas on the far end.  The purple flowers are Verbena, then the Black-eyed susans.  The gardenia bush is not in bloom.  Next is the Mexican Petunia (purple flower), then the tiny white Mexican Petunia.  The huge red flowers are the dinner plate hibiscus.  We planted the tree last year, a Chinese Pistachio, and it has grown at least three feet this year.


Here's a better picture of the dinner plate hibiscus and the yellow bell esperanza.  A Mexican heather is in the foreground, and it has some lovely tiny purple flowers on it.


Behind the cactus garden is a new red crepe myrtle we planted last fall and the red roses.  The vine along the fence is a coral vine...it just keeps growing and trailing.  We cut it down to the ground every winter.


I have included my puppy Polly in photos before on the blog, but never have included Izzy.  Izzy is a yorkie/maltese mix (actually Isabella), and will be 12 years old this October.  She is really doing well, except for gaining some weight and not walking as well as she used to.  She has been a very fun and loving dog and tolerates her new roommate until she has had quite enough.

Have a wonderful day...
Linda

13 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Your gardens are lovely. The red blooms are pretty all around. Some of my favorites are the roses and the dinner plate hibiscus.. Your puppy dog is a cutie. Enjoy your weekend!

Amy at love made my home said...

Your garden is beautiful!! xx

Friko said...

That’s a gorgeous garden. You must be fairly South where you are because some of the plants you mention don’t do well for me at all. It’s too cold here in winter and they don’t survive.
And how tidy and well-kept your plot is. Mine is wild and woolly one plant leans into another.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Such a beautiful garden! I love your hibiscus and crepe myrtle!

Linda Kay said...

My hubby gets at least most of the credit... I pull a few weeds now and then. It's a great place to have my morning coffee and watch the hummingbirds and bees work in the flowers.

orchid Miyako said...

Wow, how GORGEOUS your western style garden is, and with slight tropical atmosphere♡♡♡ Dinner plate hibiscus is pretty I enjoyed all the pictures enlarged version♪ I LOVE your sweet doggies(*^_^*) Hope Izzy will stay health and enjoy her new company puppy Polly. I wish I had a dog :-)

PS> Thank you SO much for your heartfelt comment,Linda. I sometimes regret that I hadn't learned to play any musical instrument. I might have been able to enjoy session with my husband(^^;)

Wishing you a wonderful Sunday. Sending you Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

Saucy Kodz said...

The romp around your garden was most delightful and very beautiful. Now there is a small lizard on a rock in the first photo - is that real? Really nice photo. I am also wondering if in the 4th photo that you have a chimera or is it just a decoration - we have a similar one we use for small fires at nite, just sitting round watching the stars and feeling the warmth of the fire at our feet. Just lovely shots - much enjoyed :)

Birdman said...

Always enjoy the different flowers that bloom around the world. Never would see them w/o blogging. Pretty cool.

TexWisGirl said...

such beautiful blooms!

Linda Kay said...

You are right! I've seen some on the blogs that I had to look up on Google.

Wandering Wren said...

I love the way you can name all your plants, it looks like a garden that has had a lot of love and attention and I can tell it gives you a great deal of pleasure as it would me. It is indeed beautiful and your dog is gorgeous!
Wren x

Abelle | The Wows! And Oops! Of Life said...

The red flowers in the 3rd and 4th photos with the petunia are called Gumamela here in the Philippines. We have both in our garden, as well as the roses in different colors.

What a beautiful garden you have! ;o)

Lin Floyd said...

fun back yard...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...