Friday, August 15, 2014

A Stand or a Stand???

Thursday is a good day to be Pondering with the link up to BYG Adventures.  Thanks for hosting, Brenda!

In our town, we have a Farmer’s Market on Thursday afternoon beginning at 4 PM and ending at 7 PM.  In addition to all the vegetables the farmers bring into town to display in their stands, we have a wine company or two represented.  Usually one of our local musicians will be on hand to offer some music while you shop.  One of Jerry’s favorites is a local farm that offers goat cheese in a variety of flavored oils and, his favorite, some lamb salami.  I have to admit it really is delicious.  The hospital chef usually offers some special item, often a soup or stew, prepared in the hospital kitchen. Now that's a brave one!

Along the highway is a small barbeque stand, where there is often a “sold out” sign on the building early in the day.  I’ve never made it there with a hankering for barbeque when they have not been “sold out”.  I can only assume the food is great!

True to Texas, we always have a stand that is selling whole and chopped pecans.  And during June and July, even into August, the stands all along the highway are selling peaches, tomatoes and squash.  The bounty of food is amazing, and all of them appear to do well, as long as the peach crop is good. 

As we approach another year of political campaigning, it is important that we each take a stand for those we think will do the best job in serving our country.  We also need to take a stand to get in touch with our current politicians to express our views on events in the town, county, state, and government.

Think about where you stand on everything that is going on around you, and then take action.  It might be in volunteering for some worthy cause, or it might be to help out someone in need. 

Have a fabulous day, as you ponder where you stand.

Linda Kay
 photo image13_zps64a48e1e.png

15 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

I love to visit farmer's markets for the excellent produce and conviviality.

Rose said...

I love the sound of fresh peaches!!!!!

RE your comment: ( There is a community in Southern Illinois (Arthur) where these buggies are still in wide use. And I am in no way missing the snow from Illinois. The last winter we lived there, we scooped snow all winter long! Thanks for the picture. )

I go there fairly often...it is one of my favorite places to go. I would not call it southern Illinois though....;-)

Lin Floyd said...

important stuff!

whiteangel said...

In some areas of Australia we have people selling fruit and vegetables along the side of the road in the small towns where they grow the produce.

Linda Kay said...

That produce is so fresh and delicious, although the prices here at the stands are a bit high!

Linda Kay said...

It's really fun to visit with those who are selling the produce. And they usually aren't pushy, just offering what they have.

Linda Kay said...

The peaches were delicious this year, so sweet.

McGuffy Ann Morris said...

Oh yum! Now I want some barbeque and some pecan pie! Great post!

DeniseinVA said...

A very interesting post, farmer's markets are such a lot of fun to go to, besides getting the freshest possible produce and giving our local farmers our business. Thought provoking post too.

Kay said...

Wonderful post! I'd be hankering for that barbecue. I haven't had farm fresh peaches in such a long time. I was shocked at how much sweeter they were than what we get at our grocery store.
You're right that we need to carefully think and take a stand for the cause that is important to us.

Romi C said...

The Farmer's Market you have described sounds wonderful.

Rory Bore said...

BBQ and peaches -- I wanna move to Texas!!
It sounds so yummy!
I am trying to get a better understanding of American politics these days - being a Canadian - and I would imagine it is a crucial time right now for many Americans to take a stand regarding what they would like their great nation to be. Naturally, Canada will always stand with you. :)

Saucy Kodz said...

We have a Farmers Market every Friday and just got a small new business that opened 3 days a week - a real live little store that sells local vegetables from the Maritimes. I really dislike going to the big supermarkets and finding vegetables that are not so appealing but now we have this brave girl that is striking out on her own to have an independent indoor "vegetable stand". Its wonderful - everything from home made breads, salves, honey and every vegetable and fresh meat from local butcher n eggs right fresh from the farm. She started with a few stands and standing orders and now has expanded the whole downstairs of the building she is renting. I stopped by on my way from a ride on my motorbike and arrived home with a 10 pound box of fresh blueberries, cleaned and already in a box for freezing strapped to the back of my bike. In the boot, I had fresh corn, tomatoes, strawberries, a loaf of bread and spinach. Aah, I love the roadside stands and I love our new little vegetable shop called "The Beet". I would rather buy local and support our farmers, many of whom I know than give my money to the big businessmen out to make a bigger buck off ya. Nice post and I am thinking about our own politics and know in the Fall Election our biggest embarrassement in the entire country Prime Minister Stephen Harper will be gone. I do also read about politics in your country and try to read several views - some good , some bad and honey, you can invite me to a BBQ anytime - cheers and have a lovely day.

Anvilcloud said...

I have recently experienced goat cheese for the first time -- in a salad. It was quite yummy.

Michelle F said...

I have a friend who drives 1 1/2 hours just to go to a Farmer's Market.
She claims the drive is worth it, and the produce lasts longer than from a conventional store.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...