Saturday, August 2, 2014

First Friday Art Walk




Last night in Fredericksburg was the First Friday Art Walk. There are a number of art shops in town, as you can see from the article in the Fredericksburg Standard.  Our friends Betty and Cloyd started out with us in the Larry Jackson Antiques and Art shop, where there are some really wonderful paintings, prints, art work, furniture and jewelry. 

One of our favorite shops is the Artisans at Rocky Hill.  We stopped at a few others along the way.  This picture at the left is a framed gemstone portrait.  All the pieces are put together to create a 3-D flower vase, surrounded by inlaid pieces of glass tile.  the picture doesn't do it justice.  Most of the shops furnished a glass of wine and some munchies while your browse.



This second picture is of a fabulous piece of ceramic, lined with jewels.  Great piece!

This artwork (note the blue ribbon for "best of show") is done by an artist who was on hand to describe to us his work over 20 years, with never an art class! 
It measures about 4' by 18".

Some of my blogger buddies like the unusual insects, so I thought I had to put up this sculpture of a dragonfly.


In true Texas style, a bejeweled skull.  Everyone should have one of these.


This is an inlay of wood on this clock.  The wood in the frame appears to be cherry or maybe walnut?  Not an expert on wood, but very pretty.

Now for just a bit of fun...my daughters are both out of town, and we were elected to keep the dogs.  One daughter has two, the other just one.  So with our two, we now have five dogs to come home to.  They really are doing pretty well.  All are cuddled up in various chairs near us in the family room.


Pretty hard to get all five to pose for the picture.  All are yorkie or yorkie maltese mix.  From left to right: Biff (male), our Izzy and Polly, Abby, and Sadie.  Biff is a bit outnumbered!
Have a lovely weekend. I'll be tending to the doggies, and celebrating my birthday on Sunday.
Linda

19 comments:

Saucy Kodz said...

I like your dragonfly, the clock and especially the pooches.

Lin Floyd said...

what cute little dogs, I pictured five large dogs all over the place....

whiteangel said...

My goodness, you are having a busy time with all those sweet dogs :)

Anvilcloud said...

The blue ribbon winner looks worthy to me.

TexWisGirl said...

oh my gosh, you have a pack! at least they're all similar in size and 'kin'. :) the first jewel art is really neat! but that blue ribbon one is fantastic! the light he created! wow!

biebkriebels said...

Had to laugh you had to struggle to get all the dogs together for the photo. The pieces of art are very nice.

eileeninmd said...

Happy Birthday to you! I love all the art pieces. The first one and the dragonfly sculpture are my favorites.. And I love the last shot of all the doggies.. What fun to dog sit them all.. Happy weekend!

Linda Kay said...

The artist has never had an art class, and all of his work on display was wonderful. His father was a sign artist and taught him colors etc. Nice work.

Linda Kay said...

I'm surviving the doggies. They have actually all been pretty good. The troubles are between my two and my daughters two, who are always sisters.

Linda Kay said...

One goes home this afternoon, the other two stay through next Sunday. We'll make it!

Linda Kay said...

Thank heaven they are not that big!

Linda Kay said...

They really are sweet. Biff is blind and walks stiff...he was a runt of the litter that my daughter couldn't resist, and my grandson has loved him since Carson was a baby.

Linda Kay said...

I have a picture from Montana of a real dragonfly...will try to include it in a post.

Linda Kay said...

Kind of like herding cats!

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Those were wonderful and amazing art finds on your art walk! Sounds like some interesting stores!

Gail said...

Quite a variety of art and dogs.

Amy at love made my home said...

Some beautiful and amazingly crafted pieces! xx

orchid Miyako said...

OMG!!! What FANTASTIC artworks they are♡♡♡ My favorite is the framed gemstone portrait and my husband said that he said he likes the dragonfly sculpture :-)
Sending you Lots of Love and Hugs to from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

Tanya Breese said...

i love that picture/frame!! and oh my, what a cute pack of pups you are watching!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...