Thursday, August 28, 2014

Ghost Town Cemetery Fence

It's Thursday, and time to link up with Theresa at The Run A Around Ranch Report for Thursday's Fences.  I have some pictures from a miner's ghost town in Garnet, Montana, to share with you.  It's way up in the mountains, as this first picture shows.


As we were travelling up the mountain on a very winding and dusty road, we came upon the Sandpark Cemetery, where there were only these four tombstones in the background still standing, probably from the miners who were residents of the ghost town.



Some of the buildings still standing.


This picture is an indication of the prosperity that was once the town.


An ad for the One Stop Shopping.



The hotel and the dining room inside the hotel. Note the wallpaper still there.


The tree grew around this wagon wheel.


I guess when you live in less than ideal conditions, you don't mind sharing a toilet space with someone.  My daughter says that her desert assignment in the military during Desert Storm didn't offer much privacy either.


And my final pictures from on our way back from the mountain and a stop at the resort of Paws Up.

Thanks for hosting the fences, Theresa!

Linda Kay

24 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

You found a neat place. I understand that multiseat toilets were once a thing.

TexWisGirl said...

neat place! i love the tree grown through the wagon wheel! great couple of fences, too! thanks, linda!

Cranberry Morning said...

Interesting place! And that tree through the wagon wheel. Wow. And after seeing that next-to-last photo, I am grateful for my one-holer. LOL

Lin Floyd said...

wow-a three seater! lol...

eViL pOp TaRt said...

A fascinating find! Nothing like an old mining town for a photogenic opportunity. That wagon wheel must have been there for a long time!

Amy at love made my home said...

I don't remember when I last saw an A frame fence like those in your first picture, they are so simple and effective though. I do like fences like that with a rustic utilitarian feel. I know, I'm mad!!! A very interesting post though and an interesting place to visit too no doubt. xx

whiteangel said...

The Dunny is neat, haven't seen one with several seats. The photos are interesting.

LV said...

A nice trip and glad you shared with us. You can always find a fence no matter where you go.

Big Sky Heidi said...

Garnet is a beautiful place. Since I'm in MT, I might give it a visit.

Elkhorn is another old mining town to see.

DeniseinVA said...

This is my kind of place to explore. Beautiful scenery out there and a very interesting area well captured with your lens.

Michelle F said...

I love exploring old places.
To date my most favorite place is Cades Cove in Tn.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cades_Cove

Mary Hill said...

Hi, looks like a great trip. The photos are pretty. :)

Mary-andering Creatively

Felicia said...

I would love to visit a place like this. gorgeous images of gorgeous scenery and great fences.

eileeninmd said...

What a neat place to visit! I love the first scenic shot and view! Great captures and fences!

Janie Junebug said...

I'd like to visit a ghost town. I've never seen a three holer before. My aunt's lake cottage had a two holer, though.

Love,
Janie

Ida said...

This looks like a very interesting place to visit. I enjoyed all your photos. PS My brother served in Desert Storm.

janiceadcock said...

Interesting photos of the ghost town.

Friko said...

This pictures are so evocative of a bygone age.
I particularly like the ‘Donnerbalken’. I remember one from my grandfather’s house which was a two seater.

Grantham Lynn said...

Great post. Looks like a fun place to visit. I really like old fences too! Thanks for coming by my Outdoor Wednesday post. Have a great Friday.

doodles n daydreams said...

Loved this post, so interesting. Thanks for sharing all that history...as well as the fences.

Diana

Meanqueen said...

What a lovely place, miles and miles of trees, heaven. I can't imagine sharing a toilet with anyone, yuk :o(

Hilary said...

how beautiful!

Revrunner said...

Like that first fence. Very unusual.

Cynthia said...

The three-sweater reminds me of family camping trips. I liked them because my sister and I could then go in this scary place together and face the spiders, dark, and odor!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...