Sunday, August 10, 2014

Native American Dress and a Book to Read


My friend Joanie W. had recommended a book for me to read, so I downloaded One Thousand White Women before going on our trip to Montana.  In my time sitting at the airport, flying to Montana, and taking a few minutes in the evenings, I was able to finish the book.  It's a great read.  I recommend it.  It is about a Cheyenne chief's request to the US Government to trade their tribe with 1000 white women for 1000 horses, all with the idea that these women would help integrate the Cheyenne people into the white man's culture.  In the story the woman who is writing in her journals (fiction) describes her dress and especially her wedding dress.

Well, to my surprise, on our way toward Big Fork in Montana, we stopped at the Nine Pipes Museum, where we found a huge array of dresses of various tribes of Native Americans.  I'll upload these pictures for your enjoyment, but be sure to follow to the end for my challenge to you.










These were all taken through the glass windows.  Using your imagination, which of these beautiful dresses would you select?  Keep in mind the beading, the weaving, and additional decorations on each dress. 


If you read the book, this last picture will help you visualize the Cheyenne campground described by the storyteller.


So, I'm inspired by the folklore of the Native Americans.  Which dress would you pick for your wedding, were you a Cheyenne bride to be?  

Joining in on


Have an enjoyable day sipping a cup or glass of tea, and reading something that fascinates and inspires you.

 
Linda

16 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

i'd pick the first for the sky blue.

Romi C said...

These are all beautiful. I would prefer the last one, which is mostly white. The dresses have two colors in common: white and blue. Do these colors have any special meanings to them?

Michelle F said...

I would pick the second one up from the bottom.

Linda Kay said...

That's a beautiful choice, and I think rather heavy with all that solid beading on the top.

Linda Kay said...

I'm definitely not an authority on the meanings of the colors, but I'll be there is something in the interpretation.

Linda Kay said...

I think that like the first one, this one would also be pretty heavy do to the amount of beading. But according to the book, the hides were very soft and comfortable.

whiteangel said...

I would choose the 3rd one from the top.

Amy at love made my home said...

It would be number 3 or 4 for me as I love the blue colours in both of them. They are all so amazingly intricate though it would be hard to chose I should think. The book sounds very interesting. xx

Lin Floyd said...

I'd pick the simplicity of the last one...sounds like an interesting idea. My husband from Texas has native American women who married into his family and one white woman who married a great uncle. Fascinating!

Linda Kay said...

I think the dresses are probably very heavy considering the buckskin and the amount of beading.

Linda Kay said...

Texas is really a melting pot of Native Americans and Mexicans mixing with the German whites.

DeniseinVA said...

This book sounds a fascinating read. I enjoyed your photos of traditional clothing. They are beautiful dresses. My choice would be the last one though I like them all.

Cranberry Morning said...

What an interesting museum - and beautiful Native American clothing!

eileeninmd said...

Sounds like an interesting book, great review.. I love the dresses, they are all pretty. Thanks for sharing your museum visit.. Have a happy week!

Far Side of Fifty said...

I would choose the last one, however they are all beautiful! Thanks for the trip to the museum:)

eViL pOp TaRt said...

I definitely like the first one best. It is so elegant. The chief had an interesting idea.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...