Friday, August 29, 2014

Quilts and Covers

My first inspiration for quilting was to use some of my collection of old hankies, crocheted on the edges by my dad's mother (Grandma D).  I shaped the hankies like butterflies and hand stitched them onto squares with a little embroidery for the antenna.  This one went to my older daughter as a keepsake or to use as a cover or hanging.



I did take a quilting class and made a quilt in that class to give to my younger daughter.  I don't have a picture of that one.  Then the biggest project was a king quilt for our bed.  Because of the cost of the materials and the professional quilt stitching, there is probably more money in this than if we had purchased two covers!  I have decided to stay with small baby quilts and spend more time writing,



But the most phenomenal quilt for me is the one that will be raffled off this weekend by the Vereins Quilt Guild here in Fredericksburg.  Several of us went to the international quilt show in Houston last year, where this quilt one a first place prize in the category of entry.  A number of the ladies in the guild contributed to the quilting in end product, and it was stitched with a long-arm machine.  I have my raffle tickets purchased, but the chances are so slim.  Everyone wants this quilt, and I understand it has been appraised quite high.  We also have a great quilt shop in town called One Quilt Place, where the fabrics and ideas abound.



Sharing today with BYG Adventures pondering the word "cover"!  Thanks for hosting!
 photo image13_zps64a48e1e.png
Linda Kay

18 comments:

Lin Floyd said...

how fun, I tried quilting but it was too exact for me with matching corners, etc so I write!

Banana Oil said...

Those are such beautiful quilts!

Romi C said...

What gorgeous quilts!
Your butterfly pattern is ingenious.

TexWisGirl said...

i like your handkerchief butterflies! so clever! i admire those who can stitch so precisely with these quilts!

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Love those butterflies! I have collected a few handkerchiefs, two from England with tatted edges. Wish I were a quilter, but I'm just not. Have to buy mine.

DeniseinVA said...

I have long admired the quilts I have seen through blogging. What a marvelous idea to make one with your grandmother's hankies, a true family heirloom. It looks gorgeous and wouldn't she be proud? Though your second quilt on your bed was expensive, it also is gorgeous! And the third created by many, wow! I hope whoever will win it will appreciate the craftsmanship and all the hours it must have taken. Great post, thoroughly enjoyed seeing those beautiful quilts, thank you :)

Thank you also for visiting my blog and leaving such a nice comment. It must have been wonderful to go to Sundance for a wedding. Such a beautiful area! Have a great weekend!

Anvilcloud said...

It's quite an art, which I can appreciate from afar.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

I love your butterfly pattern. Such a creative tour de force

Janie Junebug said...

That quilt for the raffle is gorgeous. I love your quilt with the hankies. It's a beautiful design, and I am impressed by your talent.

Love,
Janie

Cranberry Morning said...

I started my comment and think it got lost. :-) Anyway, your quilts look lovely. I've never gotten into quilting. Maybe I could start with something smaller than I could carry around - like applique. I can see why everyone is wanting that gorgeous quilt that's being raffled off. Just stunning!

Michelle F said...

Love the quilt that's being auctioned off. Wish I lived close & had the money.

biebkriebels said...

I always admire people who make those beautiful quilts. I have several friends who make them too and so many!
They don't leave it by one, but make the one after the other, amazing.

Amy at love made my home said...

Your quilts are lovely!!! The raffle quilt is stunning isn't it. I hope that you win as I know that you will love and appreciate it so much! xx

eileeninmd said...

Oh my, they are all beautiful quilts.. You and ladies in the guild are very talented and creative. Have a happy weekend!

Big Sky Heidi said...

They are all incredible quilts; works of art.

Cynthia said...

The raffle one is just amazing. I love that you were able to incorporate your grandma's hankies into the one for your daughter. What a treasure!

Marie said...

Your butterfly quilt is very ingenious and very pretty! Great idea! I understand about a King-sized quilt...boy, quilting is a very expensive hobby! :-) I finished a Queen-sized quilt for my daughter and her husband several months ago. I am quilting one now that I put together a while ago. to use on my bed. Check out my quilting blog (access on my sidebar) if you get a chance. That raffle quilt is AMAZING! I lived in Texas for five years within easy driving distance of Houston and never made it to the big show. I really regret that! May I post your two photos of the raffle quilt on one of my quilt Boards on Pinterest. I never borrow without asking first. Have a GREAT weekend!

Kay said...

I am really impressed with that quilt you made. It is now a family heirloom.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...