Monday, August 11, 2014

Tuesday Grade Reminiscing

Joining with Two Shoes Tuesday  for a discussion of the word "grade".
 
Two Shoes Tuesdsay
 
The first picture I'll share with you is my report card from 7th grade (yeah, I actually still have this).  The grading for our junior high grades was an S+, S, S-, and U (unsatisfactory).  You will note that I have earned almost all S+'s, which of course pleased my parents, but I really enjoyed Mr. Graff's class.  Note that is except for PE...always a challenge for me, skinny and not very athletic.
 Seventh grade is a time of big change, especially for a girl, as many of you will share.  Mr. Graff was a burly guy with a heavy beard shadow and dark brown thick hair.  He had a paddle in his room that was drilled with holes in it.  He didn't hesitate to take a misbehaving boy out into the hall for a bit of a whack!  But I remember to this day the poem I had to memorize (at least the first stanza) for class.  Since I was absolutely terrified of getting up in from of the class, that might have something to do with why I remembered it this long.  It is "The Village Smithy" by Longfellow (first stanza).
Under the spreading chestnut tree
The village smithy stands.
The smith, a mighty man is he,
With large and sinewy hands;
And the muscles of his brawny arms
Are strong as iron bands.
Mr. Graff may have been the teacher who most contributed to my interest in poetry, writing, etc.  For math class in 7th, we had Mrs. Erickson, who shuffled when she walked and threw erasers at anyone not paying attention. 

This picture is of my confirmation in 8th grade (I'm on the left with the glasses).  We all looked so young and thought we knew everything.  After all we had Elvis (who was off to war) and we had those boys who dared to rebel and look like James Dean.  Some wore "duck tails" in their greased hair, and others, including the girls, liked to wear white blouses with the collars turned up.  Mrs. Erickson would refer to this behavior as the "Stewart Gang" as there was one fellow in the class with that last name, wore both the duck tail and the collar turned up (ala the Fonz).  He also wore a leather jacket.  Such a fun time to reminisce.  Thanks to Josie for the word to get my memories going!
Have a great day under the spreading chestnut tree (although this is in the fall).
Linda

10 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

I was a bit of an imp in grade two. Not sure why as I wasn't in any other grade. It's odd how you say 2nd grade and we say grade 2. That imaginary line that separates us has some weird effects.

TexWisGirl said...

so cute - and such daring rebels! wish it were so simple today.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Where, oh where have the ducktails gone?

Linda Kay said...

Probably have gone to the same place as the bee-hives and the afros! ;-)

Zoe Byrd said...


This is the forest primeval. The murmuring pines and the hemlocks,
Bearded with moss, and in garments green, indistinct in the twilight,
Stand like Druids of eld, with voices sad and prophetic,
Stand like harpers hoar, with beards that rest on their bosoms.

I guess we all did our Longfellow time! Mine was with Evangeline!

Romi C said...

This is a great post inspired by the word 'grade.'
I've found your report card very interesting, because there are a large number of X's in it. I enlarged the photo and found that an X 'indicates performance is satisfactory.' --In my country, Japan, the symbol X means 'failure' or 'wrong.' -- Sometimes, cultural differences can confuse us.-- You were an excellent student.

Kay said...

Oh wow! Nowadays, if you hit a child or ... gracious! threw an eraser, yikes! You'd be fired, tenure or not. Things were different when we were young.

Josie Two Shoes said...

Ah yes, 7th Grade... the start of Jr. High for us, a different area of the building, changing classes and teachers, and horribly, being grouped into A,B, and C groups, which they assured us wasn't related to learning abilities, but we quickly realized it was, which was horribly embarrassing for the "C" group, and I hurt for them. That plan was thankfully abandoned the following year. I love that you still have your report card! PE wasn't my best subject either, awkward and uncoordinated with an ex-military female teacher who had high standards - UGH! But I loved language and writing classes, and can still remember a story I wrote, a story about a dream with a bit of a horror twist, which caused a stir. Personally, I thought it was pretty cool! :-) I was confirmed as a sophomore, and we looked every bit as young and innocent as in your photo above. Shortly thereafter I became the girl with maxi-dresses, wire glasses, and long hair... and I love all of those things still, 45 years later! :-) It's wonderfully fun to travel back and look at our lives in retrospect, and how very grown up we all thought we were! This was a truly fun read, and you know what, I remember that entire poem too!!!

oldegg said...

In Britain in the years after the war, the country was broke and there were no class photos! Reports yes, but with the recurring comment "Could do better" for me as I was obsessed with sport so excelled there instead. Punishment was common, the worst of which was to be sent to the headmaster for a caning. Luckily I went only the once! I really enjoyed your reminiscent piece.

Cynthia said...

Fun to read your memories of 7th grade. Definitely not my favorite grade in school!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...