Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Welcome to the Fair Parade



As I mentioned before, this is County Fair weekend.  Our first involvement with the fair this week is the creation of our float for the parade.  Note that we have a bench that has a quilt draped over it.  It's kind of hard to see the wire framing on the wagon, but it's meant to be a buckboard of sorts.  We have bales of hay and various colorful plants and what nots.  Our plan was to look like an old fashioned fair entry and we won a blue ribbon in our category.  Those who rode on the parade wore coveralls and boots to complete the look.



Every parade needs a band, and we had two marching bands and a band that rode on their float.




This float was especially colorful from the local grocery store chain, HEB.  They really put a lot of work into this one.














How about the Watermelon Queen and her court??  Really?

In Texas, you have to have the cowboys and their horses, ten gallon hats are part of the show.
I thought this pirate ship idea was pretty unique.  It's a float from a bar.

I should explain that the parade goes down one side of the street, then turns around and comes back up the street on the other side.  That's why you see a float with a bunch of high school football players and cheerleaders behind this Shotgun Weddings float (or pickup truck, actually).  Pretty cute.

As we were getting ready to leave, grandson Carson suggested that we had to go to Mr. Gatti's Pizza, so he could play the games to get the points he still needed to earn a football. With the funding we have done on his game card, Grandpa and I decided it would have been cheaper to buy the football outright.  But I guess it wouldn't have been nearly so much fun.  He has discovered which games produce the most points.

We went out to the fair for a while, but it was really very hot.  I love to go visit the animals. Watch for an upcoming blog on the animals. ;-)

Linking up with Josie 2 Shoes for the words "bench" and "leave".  Thanks for hosting!


Two Shoes Tuesdsay

20 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

cute floats for a small-town feel. :)

DeniseinVA said...

That's a fun parade and I enjoyed the videos. The one with the horses reminds me of a similar scene in my father-in-law's home town in North Dakota. They have a horse festival every year and we have been to three over the years.

whiteangel said...

Congratulations on winning the blue ribbon.
The floats are good and I bet you all had such fun :)

Brenda Gladden said...

I really like the pirate ship!

Michelle F said...

My favorite is the bands.
However, We usually happen to stand where the bands are not performing.
I have been in a parade and I think that is just as exciting.

Mage said...

Hi Linda Kay.....It's taken me a while to figure out how your blog link through Google works, but here I am. Nope, SDSU means San Diego State University....where I am an alumni. Or that's what my license plate frame tells me. :)

Amy at love made my home said...

It looks as though you had great fun. Congratulations on the blue ribbon!!! I love the watermelon float too. xx

Janie Junebug said...

I would love to be The Watermelon Queen. Maybe I can pretend that's who I am. I love small-town parades. Congratulations on your win.

Love,
Janie

Anvilcloud said...

That actually looks like a pretty good parade. Nice floats really.

Lin Floyd said...

fun end of summer activity!

Lady Lilith said...

Looks like a fun way to end the summer. I love a good fair.

orchid Miyako said...

OMG! I truly enjoyed the different types of the carriages ( hope the right word) in the parade, Linda. The Watermelon Queen and her court is lovely♡♡♡

Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Great floats! I love a parade!

Eloquent Obi said...

hello new friend! i like parades and i am always impressed by the floats, so creative and so pretty.

Josie Two Shoes said...

This brought back wonderful memories of the small town parades I grew up with! A lot of work was put into these floats, and they were awesome. Your was great!! I like that the parade goes up one side of the street and then back down the other, giving everyone a chance for a good look, and the opportunity to see their favorites twice. This looks like a very fun day! I love the fair animals best too, I always want to visit them first!

oldegg said...

It is always a delight to be involved in a town parade (even only as s spectator). I suppose it that feeling of community pride in working for each other.

biebkriebels said...

What a nice parade and such beautiful floats, a joy to watch and to be part of it.

McGuffy Ann Morris said...

Everyone loves parades and fairs! This was fun! Thanks for taking us along.

Romi C said...

The floats are beautiful. The parade must have been fun.

Mary Hill said...

What a great time. Love the Watermelon Queen too. :)

Mary-andering Creatively

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...