Monday, September 29, 2014

A Push for a Tuesday

It's Tuesday and Josie 2 Shoes has given us the words Push or Pull for Two Shoes Tuesday.  I'm sharing with you an excerpt from my mother's memoirs.  Last week I told you they had dated for six years and then were married for 61.

In Wilma's words:
"There were homecomings.  In fact, Delmar and I met when I was just 15, and he was 18 (just out of high school), at the Hartsburg (IL) Homecoming.  I went home from school with my friend, Evelyn, the next week and told her I would really like to date Delmar. We went to  the Emden (IL) Homecoming, where Delmar pulled up in his car, next to where Evelyn and I had stopped to talk to a friend.  He asked me if I would like to go for a ride.  I agreed (and note that I did not ask permission from my parents!), and we proceeded to take a drive out into the country, where we got stuck in a soft, muddy country road.  As an aside, when I got into the car, he reached across to pull my door closed and gave me a kiss. I was really surprised, but he was very handsome, and I liked him a lot!  He was dressed in a suit with a starched white shirt and tie. 

Delmar rocked the car and pushed, while I drove, and we got the car out, but he got his shoes muddy.  He suggested we go to his house near Delavan (IL), where he could clean his shoes, and he could show me his graduation gifts.  Graduation gifts included a knife and a billfold, but that’s all we can remember.  No doubt, there was an obvious distraction from “graduation gifts”.    He delivered me safely back to my parents, and I introduced him.  He then told me he would come to my house on Sunday evening, as he had other plans for Saturday night.  (He actually had another date, but didn’t cancel it.  He says he didn’t enjoy the date at all.)"

Isn't that just a hoot???  Now how many parents would let their 15 year old daughters go for a ride in the country with an 18 year old?  Mother also mentioned that in the 6 years they dated, he never came for her in less than a white shirt, tie and suit.  She also said that on that first date he offered her a cigarette, which she refused, so he said, "Then I don't smoke either", and threw the rest of the pack out the window.

Mother's memoirs are available on the right side of my blog:  "Flavors from the Past: Memoirs and Recipes of Wilma Weiland Diekhoff."  You can also find it on B & N and Amazon for just $2.99.  We worked on this together, reminiscing about her years on the farm, and sold over 700 copies of the book back in 2000-2002, but it is now only available in digital.  The biggest joy for me was for her to have a book signing at Barnes and Nobel in Peoria at 82.  She passed in 2003, leaving a big hole in my heart.  

Have a good day!

Linda Kay

22 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

my, have times changed... so sweet.

Mike said...

My wifes mother was from central IL farm country and was married at 17.

Janie Junebug said...

That's adorable.

Love,
Janie

Betsy Adams said...

Oh I love reading the story about your Mom/Dad's dating years, etc... Amazing!!!! They obviously had a wonderful relationship together. AND your Dad obviously was taught some great manners (things you don't see much of these days though)...

Glad you and your Mom published her memoirs... That is SO special. I can imagine how much you miss her. I lost my Dad in 1969 and Mom in 1991... I still miss them both.

Great post.
Hugs,
Betsy

Linda said...

How sweet! Thank you so much for sharing, Linda.

The Yum List said...

Flavours from the Past - what a great title!

orchid Miyako said...

Well, reading this post I thought about my parents... In Japan, most of the marriage is arranged by the parents and so on at that time; my parents as well. How sweet to read your parents' lovely story and I thought a bit modern (it seems not so common then, though). How great they have been together such blessed time. My father died last year and early next month, we will hold his one year memorial service. Mother passed away in the year 2,000; I wished let them have 50th anniversary. Haha, so sorry if I have already mentioned something about this. Sweet to read, Linda;

Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend in America, xoxo Miyako*

Hilary said...

wow… what a great story….

eViL pOp TaRt said...

That's a great story!

W. Latane Barton said...

Oh my gosh, Linda, what memories your story dredged up for me. I was almost 14 when I first met my husband... we married just before my 17th birthday. yep, girls got their man pretty early back in those days and guess what... those marriages lasted!! I lost my husband after 60 years of marriage.

Lin Floyd said...

what a fun experience to have captured for all time...

DeniseinVA said...

How wonderful that your Mother wrote this down. It is a great story and a treasure for you and your family. The main reason I started blogging was for my son to read our family stories because I didn't have many from my own parents. This story of your moms will be priceless.

Jeanne said...

Hi Linda Kay, I missed commenting on blue Monday but I am so happy I was able to read your mother's memoirs. I loved her story about meeting your father. A joy to read.

Have a great week,
xo, Jeanne

Michelle F said...

Hi, Linda Kay!

I enjoyed reading this post. I love to hear the stories of others.
How nice he threw the cigarettes away because she didn't smoke.

Linda Kay said...

Wow! You need to write down your stories for your children and grandchildren.

Rory Bore said...

my heart just swelled reading this!! We forget sometimes that romance is not something new, or an idea our "young" generation invented. In fact, they did it so much better back in that day. A suit and tie!! I cannot even imagine - I would have married him on the spot probably. LOL
What a wonderful memory to share with us - Thank You!

Terri said...

What great memories- I hope you preserve those for the grands, and great grands!

oldegg said...

How stunning and personal this part biography is of your mother. I was a joy to read.

Josie Two Shoes said...

Such a sweet and wonderful memory shared, and how we would all like to have this kind of treasure from our own parents. Maybe that's part of the reason why we blog, for our own children and their children to know more of us some day. Dating has certainly changed over the years, now parents would be delighted just to have the boy showing up looking clean and neat and the girl adequately clothed! I loved this post, Linda Kay, and will have to download and read the memoir when I have time! What a lovely thing to do together!

Amy at love made my home said...

Wonderful memories for you to have recorded and to have shared with your Mom. xx

Val said...

A beautiful love story set in times bygone. Thank you for sharing this.

Kay said...

This is such a lovely story. How wonderful that you were able to document all her stories. It's beautiful!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...