Thursday, September 25, 2014

Friday - No Links, No Memes, Just Me

There are so many fun link-ups for bloggers, but today I thought I would just share some thoughts with you.  Feel free to comment and add your own perspectives and ideas.


On Tuesday mornings I volunteer with the Hill Country Community Needs Council here in Fredericksburg.  Take a couple of minutes to read the mission statement and about the work that is done with just a few paid employees and a lot of volunteers.  Donations to this organization are used to serve those who are less fortunate.  My work here on Tuesdays is as an advisor.  What that means is that I listen to the client(s) situation and the immediate need to determine the level of assistance we might consider.  This might be for rent, a utility bill, dental work, etc.  Folks who come to us are usually almost destitute.  On this weekend, take a look around you and give a hand to someone in need.....there are many.


I'm a little melancholy today thinking of my daddy, Delmar Diekhoff, who died thirteen years ago this month.  I remember when he was in the hospital during 9/11.  I had driven to the hospital and had heard the news of the tower, but at that moment they didn't know if it was terrorism.  The television was on in his room, but I turned it off so as not to upset him with the pictures that were on the screen.  This man was the kindest, gentlest man who could cry at an emotional scene on television.  He was a talented farmer and entrepreneur with innovative products for the farm.He loved his family and he and my mom were still crazy about each other after 67 years of being together, married 61.  I'd have to add mine together to even get to 50! ;-)


A couple of days ago, someone in our blogger world mentioned natural resource conservation.  This is a picture of a 30,000 gallon water catchment system installed with my daughter's new home.  It furnishes the entire house with water, drinking water included.  There is an ultra-violet system of purification.  The water flows from a very high roof on the house, down through a guttering system and into the tank.  An inch of rain can put 6,000 gallons of water in the tank.  After the entire summer, the tank is almost full.  When the house was completed, they put a fence around the tank that looks like a garden area from the outside, matching the house.


Last Friday I had a group of ladies over for our monthly "soup group" and made this cream of asparagus soup.  Most of you probably have access to a recipe for cream of asparagus soup, but this one has a little twist.  When preparing the asparagus, you set aside the tips to steam later in the process, then cut up the stems (without the woody part) to cook in the preparation of the soup.  When all the ingredients are in the pot, you run the soup through a food processor a bit at a time to pulverize it.  Then the tips are added just before serving.  What I really liked about it was that I could make it the day before and refrigerate it overnight.  It saved me lots of time the next day.  Note that this pot was used by my mother for as long as I can remember.  The soup was served with a salad and rye bread and I made an apple cheesecake for dessert.  We were stuffed!

Volunteer?  Love Soup?  Conserve Energy?  Share your perspective with us.

Have a special Friday and a great weekend!
Linda Kay

19 comments:

The Furry Gnome said...

We volunteer a lot around here. And I'm known to claim that my wife is the world's best home-made soup maker. We put in geothermal heating, so we don't have to buy any fuel at all.

The Yum List said...

I do love soup, like to conserve energy and see great value in volunteering and being of service to your community. Lovely post.

Rory Bore said...

Your dad sounds like a wonderful and amazing man! My grandparents were married over 65 years!!! It still amazes me to think of that. My husband and I would have to live to be 97 years of age to reach that goal! I suppose with medicine these days - maybe we could!
That water system is truly amazing!! why don't we all have this -- it should just be mandatory.
Mmmm soup! :)

Grantham Lynn said...

What a beautiful post! I loved this. I/we used to volunteer at the local food bank. I enjoyed it so much. I miss it. That was a sweet tribute to your dad! Thanks for coming by my Sweet Smiles post! Thanks for sharing yourself today. I enjoyed your post. Have a good weekend. Sherry

Janie Junebug said...

I love your description of your dad. As I make changes to my house when things wear out, my goal is to use energy conservation replacements.

Love,
Janie

Mike said...

It's good that people that need too are figuring out how to catch water and make good use of it. You can also get a UV system for your whole house HVAC system to kill the bugs in the air.

But as far as saving water goes for me, I'm right next to the Mississippi River. 4 million gallons per second worth of water flow. People water their grass in the rain around here.

whiteangel said...

Lovely to remember your dad. Gosh your parents were married for a long time, as were my mum & dad.
Tank water had a lovely taste.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

You wrote an excellent tribute to your dad.

Stephanie Faris said...

I wish I liked asparagus! Your dad sounds like an amazing man. 67 years together...wow!

Roan said...

Your dad sounds l ike a wonderful guy. Lucky you! Think I might try that asparagus soup this weekend. Haven't had that in a long time.

Rose said...

I do love soup...I thought for a moment you had made my version of broccoli soup! This looks delicious. Your dad sounds amazing.

Re the pictures at: http://picsandpiecing.blogspot.com/2014/09/the-latest.html

I have been having that problem a lot--the problem of pictures not showing up in blogs. Some of the time, if I just click to expand the view I can see them...other times not. Sometimes I have to go back and wait, or just wait till later. I do not know what the problem is, but it is blogger. Sometimes I will go to a blog, and pictures that showed up before will not show up later.

In fact, I have had several annoying things that happen with blogger, but it is free, and I like the templates available, and just in general like it better than others I have tried. So, I just try not to complain, because what we get for free is pretty darn good I think.

Lin Floyd said...

interesting ideas. Our women's church group does humanitarian work for the needy in our area. For Thanksgiving we do Dinner in a Bag which includes a frozen turkey and all the trimmings, clever water storage idea in these days of droughts for the west, love your soup recipe-sounds yummy!

TexWisGirl said...

thank you for giving your time to folks who need help. your father was a sweet man. that water tank is amazing!

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

I love soup, however I am not fond of asparagus soup. You are a lovely person for volunteering to help those less fortunate. Such a great tribute to your dad. Your parents are so special being married 67 years. Have a wonderful weekend.

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

There are so many people in need, volunteers are always needed. No doubt you inherited your willing spirit from your "daddy." That's what I called my father, too! He died 8 years ago, and I still miss him very much. It is such a blessing for a daughter to have a wonderful father. I so envy your daughter her water catchment system.

Betsy Adams said...

Love this post, Linda, since I am not a meme-person. These are the kind of posts I enjoy the most... I spent my life working for the church and depended on volunteers for everything. I think I had about 500 volunteers working for me during the course of a year in our fairly large church. We offered so many different ministries for all ages. I LOVED my job --but am retired now and do not volunteer these days...

I have never heard of have a huge water tank attached to one's home.. That is amazing and awesome. I do many things to help our environment (such as not using AC or furnace much up here, hanging clothes up rather than using the dryer, using our own bags at the grocery store, etc. etc. etc.....

Love all kinds of soups --and your Cream of Asparagus sounds terrific.
Hugs,
Betsy

Amy at love made my home said...

I always like your posts, but it was lovely to read "just you" talking as if we were having a conversation "just us". I hope that you have a wonderful weekend. xx

Marie said...

Very interesting about the water catchment system. I would look into that if we end up building! I want to use reclaimed water, but don't have anything set up here. Also, I know what's it's like to remember a well-loved Dad who is now gone. I think of mine often. Interesting post from many perspectives.

Kay said...

I love soup. We're all for conservation since my husband worked for EPA. But what I really love is the love story of your parents. Sigh...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...