Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Wednesday Wit and Wisdom #1, and contest

Tomorrowlady
Are you ready???

Our topic for Wednesday Wit and Wisdom for September 10th is:  Tips on being a good grandparent. To qualify for these tips you should be: a) a grandparent, b) a grandchild, c) or an observer of an example of good grandparenting skills.  So in other words, everyone qualifies!

Remember that we are looking for wisdom and wit.  So see if you can give an example of your wisdom that also includes a bit of humor.  You can get full details here, a separate page of my blog.

My personal tip for today is:  Create an event that only you and the grandchild(ren) can share. 

We have had some great feedback from our teenaged granddaughters when they talk about memories of us going to Steak 'n Shake with them as little kids.  They would order cheese fries and spaghetti, hamburgers and shakes.  We actually went to more than one of this chain of establishments.

Now we have our little guy, Carson, age 7.  Our mutual haunt is Gatti's Pizza.  When he comes to spend the night, our dinner outing is to Gatti's.  However, in keeping with the changing world, Gatti's has electronic games that result in points to win prizes.  They supply a magnetic card that you scan to load funds for the games, then scan the card into the games until your money runs out.  Then you get to pick something out or save your points for another time.  Jerry has so much fun with him, because he eats slowly, and Carson can't play until we are all finished eating.  From the buffet, Grandpa will start with a salad, then go back for a piece of pizza, then go back for some tapioca pudding.  All the time, Carson is moaning to get to the game room.  Picture him writhing in his chair, asking "Grandpa are you done yet?"

On the side of my blog you will notice there is a new book listed there.  Annie's Love is available now on Barnes and Noble, AuthorHouse, and Amazon sites as digital or print on demand.  This is my first novel of a series of five that I am working on, and these are based on an artist's rendition of the five stages of love.  Annie's Love addresses the first of these, Mother Love.  If you join me this week, starting with Wednesday, you will be entered into a drawing for a signed copy of the book.

Now it's your turn.  Post your wisdom and wit in your blog and come back and link up!  Don't forget to comment on this and other blogs you visit.




10 comments:

whiteangel said...

Good luck regarding your book, I will download a short preview to read..

Val said...

What is better than spending time with the people you love on a "date".

Anvilcloud said...

Seems like you have good memories of the grands, and vice versa.

TexWisGirl said...

i didn't know any of my grandparents (last one died when i was 1). i don't have kids or grandkids of my own and all my family lives 1100+ miles away, so i'm short on family stories. :)

eViL pOp TaRt said...

I remember going with my Mama and my Maw-Maw to Mardi Gras parades together. Still do when I go down there.

Cranberry Morning said...

That is a very good tip! Make a special event on a regular basis. I have a friend who started a swap journal with her granddaughter. She would write in it, add embellishments, and mail it to her granddaughter. Then her granddaughter would do the same and mail it back to her. It was a wonderful idea!

Lin Floyd said...

practice patience...

Rose said...

I enjoyed this...trying to think what Lorelei would consider special. She loves for me to make her biscuits and gravy....loves to go fishing but we don't get to do that too often....and loves to reload shells with her Papaw.

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

I have so many wonderful memories of my grandparents, but one that comes to mind this morning is of my English grandmother (I mention my grandmothers, one English and one Southern, a lot on my food blog). She would come to stay a month or so at a time, and when it was during summer vacation I was allowed to get up with her in the middle of the night. She got up in the middle of the night every night to drink tea. We would sit in the kitchen, just the two of us, drinking tea and talking about England.

orchid Miyako said...

Oh, I wish I had children and grands to make use of these tips :-) Well, I've been teaching English long. When my old students showed up with their children, I feel blessed in a different way(*^_^*)

Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...