Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Wednesday Wit and Wisdom #2

Tomorrowlady
Our topic for Wednesday Wit and Wisdom for September 17th is:  What is your experience with weight control; what works and what doesn't? Please share your thoughts on this subject with us.  You can't tell, with your advice, we might all be slim and trim by Christmas!

Remember that we are looking for wisdom and wit.  So see if you can give an example of your wisdom that also includes a bit of humor.  You can get full details here, a separate page of my blog.

My personal tip for today is:  Don't call it a diet! 

It is really hard to remember now those days when I was really slim and didn't think twice about my weight. I was working, running after kiddos and had a very busy life.  I walked with a friend for exercise, but cooked with lots of starch and fat, etc.  All of a sudden in my 40s life happened!  I gained some weight that put me from a size 10 to a size 14!  Looking at pictures of my very German ancestry, it occurred to me that I had inherited the pear shape of my paternal grandmothers.

At the time it was in vogue to do the Grapefruit diet...eat half a grapefruit in the morning to start off the day.  I don't remember the rest of the plan.  So I started buying grapefruits, lost a couple of pounds, then got tired of it, and gained them back.  The Adkins diet really worked, along with exercise, to drop quite a few pounds.  And I managed to keep them off for several years...back to size 10.  

As always, at least some of the weight comes back on without careful monitoring.  We get distracted from regular exercise and controlled eating.  After all, we are only human, and we love good food.  I've notice that many of my blogger friends are vegetarians, but I grew up eating meats, so that isn't a course of action for me.  So my next diversion into weight control was the smoothies with the protein power.  I went to the health food store and bought the protein powder, picked up some frozen fruits for the freezer (you know the ones you can open and close for freshness), and started fixing some smoothies for breakfast.  It didn't take long to also get tired of that.

So here is my theory.  Exercise, exercise...30 minutes minimum each day.  Walking is my favorite, as I can also take my puppy along and train her.  We have a pool in the subdivision, so that's a possibility.  The water weights and water aerobics are really good for strength building.  And with some friends, it's a good time to catch up on the latest news.  Then it's all about smaller portions.  When we go out, we split meals.  Eating at home, I control portions.  

Did I mention that my hubby is the victim of my various plans for dieting?  He is an apple shape guy, Type 2 diabetic, and has family history to contend with.  He just smiles and goes along with whatever plan I'm on, bless his heart.  But we keep working at weight control.  We just don't call it a diet!  

I found this article in AARP.  See what you think!

Share with us your experience with weight control!  Thanks!       Linda Kay


19 comments:

DeniseinVA said...

Well this is a good one. I'll have to try and get it next time but liked your advice. Being one who has tried every diet program going, I finally realized that - for me anyhow - I had to take charge of me. It is a long road but I have finally lost the most significant amount of weight in years, 19 lbs., by walking, eating healthy and portion control. It has taken a while but I am enjoying the journey and food is no longer the enemy.

bj said...

Mr. Sweet has fought his weight most of his life...the only thing that works for him is portion control. He works out 3 days a week at the hospital (heart trouble) which helps him maintain his weight loss.

Kristy Plotkin said...

I've found that the best recommendation I can make is not to try to "diet". It has to be a lifestyle change or the weight will zap back the moment you are done. You have to make an effort to change overall for the good. Exercise and staying active helps too.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

As I understand it, the best approach is to combine moderate amounts of food intake with exercise. It's good to varying forms of exercise: walking, running, swimming, yoga, zumba, or others you might find. But choose types you like to do. Rarely drink beer; and easy on the carbs.

oldegg said...

Being a mere man and chronically thin, weight problems never entered my head until now in my 70's where exercise is a little more difficult. So your advice is admirable.

Romi C said...

Eat less, and exercise more... It's so simple, and easier said than done.:-)

Abelle | The Wows! And Oops! Of Life said...

The word 'diet' is not in my dictionary. In fact, when someone mentions that word, I'd ask, 'Diet? What is diet?' Haha! But I'd like to lose some weight, especially on the tummy area (always a problem). I love to eat! And I eat just about anything that has meat on it. Yes, portion control and exercise are the answers. The thing is, I often forget the control part, and end up eating all the portions I can find. And exercise? It hurts! ;o)

The Yum List said...

I love your tip "Don't call it a diet". If you're going to make lifelong changes in your life you have to think more in terms of it's a healthy lifestyle. I love a quote from Steven Covey that he uses when considering junk food, "This tastes good, but slim feels better."

whiteangel said...

Never been on a diet, don't intend to either. Weight I believe for many of us comes with maturing. I accept me as I am, but of course if I was larger as in too large I would do something about it. Gosh I was so skinny when younger that I am happy to have a bit of fat on me :). Each to his own.

Hilary said...

I agree - whenever I think diet I want to eat everything bad. When I think about just watching what I eat I am fine

Anvilcloud said...

Wish I could diet again. I should diet again. Alas ...

TexWisGirl said...

i have to agree with you. eating anything in moderation along with plenty of regular exercise, is really the only thing that works for the long run.

Lin Floyd said...

up and down or yo yo dieting is the norm for must. your metabolism does slow down with the years. exercise is so important...who ever had a skinny grandma is the good old days????

HOOTIN ANNI said...

I go by the old adage...well, two of them actually....eat to live, don't live to eat. And the other is one word... moderation...

Hi, I see you leaving comments around the blog world and thought I'd stop by to send along a big Texas "Howdy"

Val said...

Oh. yes Linda. My before and after weight loss journey is more like before and after and again and again. It's all about the balance.

Michelle F said...

Hi Linda Kay,

I was in a great routine of exercising until I had my hammertoe surgery this summer. I was walking 30 minutes every morning with a couple of ladies. Seems as though we all stopped walking at about the same time. With less exercise comes more weight. I hope to get back into the routine soon.

That's a great tip about not calling `it` a diet. After all, it should be a way of life.

Blessings to you this day!

Cynthia said...

I am in London for awhile, and I just don't see the really overweight people that I see back home in the US. I think it is because they walk so much. While I'm here, I'm walking 5-9 miles a day while at home I think I'm virtuous when I get in my two mile walk every morning!

orchid Miyako said...

Oh, my husband gained A LOT of weight after he retired p:) As he has handicap with his legs, he got lazy physically; asking me fetching things, haha. Thank you so much for the great tip and I love having grape or grape juice in the morning♡♡♡

Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend in America, xoxo Miyako*

Rory Bore said...

I've never actually dieted --- and my workouts have been slack since babies arrived. but not that they are all grown and in school - I really want to start an exercise program that I can stick with.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...