Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Wednesday Wit and Wisdom #4

Here's your challenge for Wednesday Wit and Wisdom #4 for October 1st.  Have you set out to prepare a dinner and have it go completely wrong?  Share a story and a recipe with us.  Check out the instructions for linking in on Wednesday here and join the fun.  Just write up your story on your blog, then come back here to link up!

Here's my story for a dinner disaster:

Many years ago we had invited my boss to dinner, since we knew his wife was out of town.  I decided to fry some chicken and make the usual side dishes...mashed potatoes, green beans, etc.....typical Midwestern fare.  To fry chicken one has to have a pretty good level of grease, and I used a heavy stainless electric frying pan.  The tradition is always to drain off the grease after frying, leaving the cracklin's in the pan to make the gravy.  For many years I had watched my mother put a spoon in a heavy canning jar, and pour in the grease, which is what I did on this evening.  However, the jar broke, pouring the grease directly onto my thigh, the floor, the cabinets, etc.  

I was wearing some knit pants, so the grease sort of melted the pants onto my thigh.  With my husband's help, I made it to the bathroom to remove the pants and he got me a new pair to put on.  My quick remedy was cold water, then some ointment on the burn, but I wanted to get immediately back to my dinner.  Needless to say, I braved through the dinner, my boss was served and happy, and I saved the evening out of shear determination, choking back tears from the shock. 

The next day I went to the doctor with an enormous  blister on the front of my thigh.  For the next several days, I bandaged the burn.  I had to peel off the bandage twice a day to keep it from getting infected, then rebandage it.  I still have a big scar from the whole disaster.  


In the cookbook my mother and I co-wrote, Memoirs and Recipes of Wilma Weiland Diekhoff, (it's available in digital format) I found this recipe to share with you:

Baked Chicken and Dressing (as an alternative to frying chicken) ;-)

Clean chicken, leave whole, removing only the internal organs and feet.  Cook giblets in boiling water until done.  Dice these to add to the stuffing.  Mix stuffing according to directions.  Lightly stuff the chicken with the dressing.  Do not pack!  Excess stuffing can be baked in a separate pan, as the stuffing in the bird may not be adequate for all servings.  Place the chicken in a small roaster, salt and pepper (or other seasonings) to taste, and place in a 350 degree oven for approximately one hour, or until well-browned, piercing the breast, the juices run clear.

Stuffing:
2 cups cubed bread
4 tablespoons butter
1/2 tsp sage
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp thyme
Stock for moistening

Toast day-old bread until brown.  Cut up into cubes to make 2 cups.  Melt the butter and blend with all ingredients.  Stuff loosely into chicken.

Celery dressing:
3 cups cubed bread
1 1/2 cups chopped celery
1 small chopped onion
6 tablespoons butter, melted
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp sage
1/3 cup stock

Toast day-old bread until brown. Cut up into cubes to make three cups.  Fry celery and onion in butter for three minutes.  Add to bread and seasonings.  Stuff into bird.  Bake according to poultry directions.

All the recipes in this book were taken from old recipe cards my mother kept from her mother and herself over the years.  Note that the book is available through B & N and Amazon and includes Mother's story of her first eighteen years growing up in Central Illinois.  There are also over 200 family and friend's recipes.

Happy cooking!  I can't wait to hear your stories!

Linda Kay

18 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

oh, my word. that's awful!

Janie Junebug said...

You are a brave woman. That must have been so painful. Most people would go to bed and tell the guest, Make yourself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich or go away. Here's my story: I designed a house about twenty years ago, and then we had it constructed. Early in December, we had an open house so our friends could visit us in our new abode. I made hot chicken salad and put it in a chafing dish. X poured denatured alcohol in the container that went under the chafing dish. He spilled some of the alcohol on the table cloth. He lit a match and the table cloth went up in flames. He was so upset that all he could say was, Oh, no! Oh, no! Never said, HELP, get the fire extinguisher. So there we were with dozens of guests set to arrive in about ten minutes. I opened a window to let out the smoke. We took the ruined tablecloth off the table (heartbreaking because it was a beautiful Christmas tablecloth I had embroidered and it couldn't be saved). We put on a different tablecloth. I closed the window. The guests arrived and no one knew we'd had a fire moments before. I still miss that house. It was the only time I got to design a house to my specifications. You'd better believe that house had lots of closets and a great kitchen.

Love,
Janie

Big Sky Heidi said...

That's a real misfortune.

Mike said...

Q - "How did you get that scar on your leg?"

A - "My platoon and I were in a firefight with the Taliban when...."

The Yum List said...

Ooh, burns are the worst! The pain continues for days!

whiteangel said...

That sounds like a nasty burn you had. Pleased it wasn't too bad that you didn't have to go to Dr. Right after it happened.

Lady Lilith said...

Oooh, a dinner disaster. Now this sounds like it can be really fun.
Well looking back it might be funny. I am sure in the moment it was really terrifying.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

How unfortunate!

Michelle F said...

Hi, Linda Kay!

I can feel your pain.

My cooking story is when hubby & I were dating. I cooked Thanksgiving dinner. I had never cooked a turkey before. I followed the directions to a T, except I didn't know about the bag of giblets so it got cooked too...inside the turkey. I made some sweet tea and when I poured the hot tea into the plastic pitcher the pitcher melted. Not sure what else happened. I guess I impressed him as he did marry me. LOL

skookumtimes said...

Wow! I don't think I could have done that...continuing on with dinner.

I once lifted out a casserole from the oven and the oven door started to closed--and touching my arm. I couldn't drop the heavy casserole so had to carefully set it on top of the stove before I could get away from the oven door.

I also had a large blister on the inside of my arm. I was single and living alone at the time and all I remember of that night was keeping ice on it and pacing the floor! Not fun at all.

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

Wow, what a story. So sorry to hear about your burn and now a scar. Things can happen in a kitchen...I have done a few blunders myself.

Amy at love made my home said...

Oh my goodness, you poor thing!! That is such a scary thing to have happened, and the fact that you just carried on is amazing. I don't think that I will be frying any chicken any time soon, but if I do I will take great care! xx

McGuffy Ann Morris said...

Oh my! I am glad this wasn't any worse! It had to be horrible, though!
The recipes sound wonderful!

Grantham Lynn said...

Oh I love the end with the alternative recipe! Is this a new meme/linky party or have I just missed it? I would love to join! I have some stories to share! I thought of one concerning mashed potatoes as I was reading yours! I have to get into the sewing room for a little while tonight but I'll definitely come back and join you! Thanks for sharing this. And thanks for coming by my 'Close' post and leaving such a sweet comment! Smiles,Sherry

John's Island said...

Hi Linda, What a story about the hot grease! My goodness, I am amazed that you made it through that dinner! You are a strong lady! Your cookbook looks great. The baked chicken and dressing sounds delicious ... I will have to give it a try. Thanks for sharing and for your kind comments on my blog. John

Grantham Lynn said...

Hi, thanks so much for coming by my Trail class post. I always enjoy a horse show! You'd would enjoy it too!

HOOTIN ANNI said...

Tho it turned out badly, I'm still VERY impressed that you and your mother authored a cookbook!!!

And, ps....I don't even know what PicMonkey is. Those cloud photos of the sunrise came directly from the camera....thanks for the compliment!!

Rose said...

Oh, how that had to hurt! I don't know how you stood to go on and serve the meal. I cannot think of a dinner disaster, though I know I have had a few!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...