Monday, October 6, 2014

Old Barn Rubbish

We are always looking for interesting shots to share on the blog, and I actually took this one with my IPhone camera.  This barn is on the edge of a farm homestead, where new buildings have taken it's place.  I thought it was particularly interesting because of the tree that has also seen its better days.  But the owners have chosen to take neither of them down.  I wrote a little ditty reflecting on this picture.




Old Barn

Old barn, your wood is worn and gray,
Your roof is rusting too.
You’re leaning to your left a bit
With passageways askew.

Old tree, your trunk is black with age,
Your limbs now have no leaves.
There are no longer branches swaying
With whispers from the breeze.

We share sweet memories we do,
Of many years gone by.
When livestock grazed and sheltered here
Under the Texas sky.

I’m old and weak with worn out bones,
The three of us as one.
Someday they’ll put us all to rest
Beneath the Texas sun.

Linking today with Rubbish by Roan Good Fences and Two Shoes Tuesday.  Josie's words for Tuesday are whisper and sweet. Thanks for hosting, Ladies!

Linda Kay

27 comments:

Bethany Carson said...

Beautiful little poem! We often wonder about the stories the old buildings in area could tell if they could only talk!

Mike said...

Found this out from some old farmers. If you take the barn down it costs the farmer. If the barn falls down, insurance pays for it.

Linley S said...

A great capture and I just love your little ditty

Diana said...

A great snap and I enjoyed your ditty as well.

Diana

Tom said...

I like the remains of the old tree against the barn...very nice. Tom The Backroads Traveller

whiteangel said...

Lovely old bar and tree. Your words fit the photo well...well done :)

Saucy Kodz said...

Great Photo and lovely words to describe it all. Really very, very nice.

Amy at love made my home said...

Lovely poem! xx

biebkriebels said...

You got very inspired by the barn I see. Nice picture.

W. Latane Barton said...

That poem fits the picture to a tee.. which is what you intended, I am sure. You have quite the knack for writing.

Anvilcloud said...

It's amazing how good iphone pics can be. Whoever predicted of being able to take pictures with phones? I like the setting and the poem.

McGuffy Ann Morris said...

Linda, these are both great offerings. They compliment each other perfectly. Very well done, my friend.

Lin Floyd said...

great photo and poem...

TexWisGirl said...

beautiful image and poignant poem!

retired not tired said...

Love the poem. This is my husband's kind of picture. I have started a new meme - http://retired-not-tired.blogspot.com/2014/10/memory-monday.html and would love to have you join in sometime.

DeniseinVA said...

Lovely poem to go with your pretty barn photo.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Oh, I DO like your poem and when I look at your beautiful photo, I see lots and lots of wood flooring!

Janie Junebug said...

I would not take it down. Your poem is great.

Love,
Janie

Janice C said...

Great photo amd poem.

Zoe Byrd said...

lovely poem... isnt the quality from phone cameras amazing now? That is a great photo!

oldegg said...

This really is a delightful read and so pertinent for the prompt.

Felicia said...

this is a great image Linda. I call trees like that, character trees.

Love you ditty too.

Josie Two Shoes said...

I love the composition of your photograph and I loved your accompanying poem even more... especially the last verse which rings so true for those of us with advancing years. I often look at old abandoned building such as this and ponder on the families that once resided there and the lives they must have lived. I wonder if buildings and trees retain memories of their grander past, just as we do. Excellent writing, great TST endeavor!

Val said...

Your poem is delightful and the photo so inspiring. It speaks of days gone by and older, simpler times.

Rory Bore said...

I have a thing for old barns too! I just love to shoot them. And there are lots around me since I live more out in the country.
the poem is perfect!

Rose said...

Oh, I love the poem...sure fits the photo.

Amy Burzese said...

A great old barn and I like the dead tree too. Go figure. lol

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...