Friday, October 31, 2014

Tortilla Flat on Saturday

Earlier this week I promised you pictures of Tortilla Flat, AZ (not to be confused with John Steinbeck's Tortilla Flat).  If you click on the AZ TF, you will get a brief description of this little stopping place with 6 inhabitants.  This is not the same as the ghost town I presented on Tuesday of this week.  This place actually started out in the early 1900s as a stage stop.

We drove out of Chandler on a windy Rt. 88 to find this little strip of fun.  It sits below Superstition Mountain and boasts the Superstition Restaurant and Bar.  There is a shopping area and an ice cream shop and lots of rusty old stuff laying around.  That will show up on a Tuesday with Rubbish by Roan.  Needless to say, there were lots of motorcycles parked here.  Only a couple of miles away is the Canyon Lake.



The bathrooms are very entertaining, as you can see.  The dancehall girls are depicted on each door.  But the doors were mounted a little high, so had to be on my very tippy toes to be seen. I could only dream.....










This is the front of the buildings that show the ice cream shop and the hanging guy.


This view is from the other end looking toward the restaurant along the boardwalk.


Inside the restaurant are saddles for bar stools.  Along the other side of the L-shaped bar are a series of carved horses butts with tails.


And this is my entry for Saturday Critters - a Javelina (havelina) with a severed arm in its mouth.  Ugh!  Note the dollar bills plastered all over the walls.  The sandwiches were delicious and a fun time was had by all!

Hope y'all have a fabulous weekend!

Linda Kay

27 comments:

Romi C said...

All the photos are interesting, and I especially like that of the bathroom door. :-)

Mike said...

This place actually has its own post office. Sounds like a boring job.

Gosia k said...

For me as a European person is interesting but strange place.

whiteangel said...

Looks as if you had a good time.
Interesting are the photos.

biebkriebels said...

A bit weird place with the hanging man. The dancing costume suits you very well!

Saucy Kodz said...

Just like the olde western movies set - kinda neat to visit a place like this and I would really be on my tippy toes to fit way up there for photo as dancing girl. ha,ha It would be neat to see all this olde stuff. Cool Money signed on the wall.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

An interesting place to visit. Nice pictures.

Michelle F said...

LOL...interesting!

Have a fun Saturday!

John's Island said...

Hi Linda Kay, This is a cool place. They are definitely into history in an interesting way. The dancehall girl photo gives a big smile! I wonder if the restaurant actually serves any tortillas? Too bad I didn’t see this post yesterday … I could have used it for what I’m afraid of … a Javelina! May I return your “Southwestern” closing … Hope y'all have a fabulous weekend! John

TexWisGirl said...

cute place. i like the old boardwalk. there used to be a bar in cowtown (ft. worth) that had saddles for stools, too.

Big Sky Heidi said...

It looks like it's a swell place!

Lin Floyd said...

looks like a place I've visited-how fun!

Margaret Adamson said...

Not to sure about that arm in the animals mouth! Have a great weekend.

DeniseinVA said...

A great place and fun photos! I remember a place we went into in Jackson that had saddles for stools. I had a hard time sitting on them so I guess I will never be a cowgirl :)

eileeninmd said...

Looks like a cool place to visit. I love the bathroom door! The restaurant has a lot of southwest charm, I love it.. And the Javelina looks like a mean critter, is like a wild pig? Great post! Thank you so much for sharing your post and linking up. Have a happy weekend!

Janie Junebug said...

Why do people leave the dollar bills? Is it a way of saying "We've been here"?

Love,
Janie

Mage said...

Sounds like this trip was a roaring success. :)

Mage said...

Sounds like this trip was a roaring success. :)

Hannah said...

They really developed the Old West theme to the hilt! I'm trying to imagine sitting at the bar on a saddle! They did their best to make it a fun place. Did you know more people die from pig attacks than from rattlesnake bites? Heh heh. They are fierce critters.

Janice C said...

This place looks like so much fun!

Marie said...

I've heard of Tortilla Flat and the Lost Dutchman Mine, of course. Need to go! Loved your photos! What fun!

The Yum List said...

This place sure has character!

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I hear that place costs an arm and a leg. Or at least an arm!

;-)

Pat said...

Looks like a fun place. I do like the saddle bar stools.

William Kendall said...

One of my friends living in Arizona occasionally has javalinas go through her yard. They're a curious critter.

This one's head looks decidedly fierce!

bettyl-NZ said...

What a fun place! Thanks for sharing the laughs and giggles.

Cynthia said...

A fun place. I love the bathroom photo!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...