Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Wednesday Wit and Wisdom #5 - Home Buying and Selling

Here's your challenge for Wednesday Wit and Wisdom #5 for October 8th.  Most of us have gone through some interesting times buying or selling a house. What's your experience? Good or Bad, Funny or Sad.  Check out the instructions for linking in on here and join the fun.


Tomorrowlady
Sharing with you one of our experiences in selling a house:


We had owned the house to your left for about four years.  It's a beautiful home, and it is on a hill up from a fishing lake.  When we bought the house, the lake was full, as it was in the late autumn.  Not being Texans, we had no idea of what the summer does to lakes in Texas.  We even considered building a house on the lot next to us and selling this one.  However, when the rains did not come down, the lake did go down until you could walk way out into the lake bottom and never get your feet wet.  We also had some issues with the HOA and the water resources, as well as the cost of the utilities.  We loved the house, but unfortunately could not move it to where we might want to be.

We have always loved the Hill Country, and when we were here we would go find our real estate agent (Rocky) and get him to show us around in our now subdivision.  Finally the house we wanted came up for sale.  Considering that we had not yet sold the one in the picture, we took out a bridge loan, said our prayers, and put it up for sale, buying our new home.  We took enough furniture to Fredericksburg to be able to spend some time there, and started packing as though we were going to sell the house on the lake.  



One day while we were in Fredericksburg our real estate agent for the lake house called and told us that she had an offer for a cash purchase for $xxx, and the buyer would pay all the selling costs.  Now when you put a house on the market, you have to consider the selling fees in your price.  So we had to get out our calculators to see what that would mean for us.  We countered with a bit higher offer, and the buyer came back with an offer to also include the lot next door.  When it was all said and done, we came out just fine, sold the lake house within six weeks.  It was an amazing leap of faith, but it all worked out.  I guess you could say it was meant to be.  We love our new home, our utilities are much less, we are close to some of our children and grandchild, and we have fabulous neighbors.  And we don't have to worry about whether there is water in the lake!

Have a great Day!

Linda Kay

Linky Tools subscription expired. List not available.Linky Tools subscription expired. List not available.Linky Tools subscription expired. List not available.Linky Tools subscription expired. List not available.

10 comments:

Lin Floyd said...

always a leap of faith to change locations, I understand that and hope to stay where we are forever-it's a retirement community and perfect for us.

TexWisGirl said...

leap of faith that worked really well for you! relocating homes is so stressful. :)

eViL pOp TaRt said...

I'm glad the leap of faith or daring came out so well! You found a nice place!

Janie Junebug said...

I'm so glad that worked out for you. I guess I'll tell you the story about moving to Florida, and I'll try not to get weepy (I don't get weepy about getting divorced; I get weepy over my son's kindness). I broke my back. My husband had me served with divorce papers the day I got home from the hospital. Favorite Young Man is not very communicative, but while I was in the hospital I sent him an email and said I wondered about moving to Jacksonville and living near him. I received an answer immediately: "I don't want you to live near me. I want you to live with me." A few weeks later my back brace and I were on a plane to Jacksonville to look for a house with Favorite Young Man. I had been in touch with a realtor who sent me listings. FYM met me at the gate, which he was allowed to do because of my back. He took over pushing my wheelchair. He helped me with my back brace when I needed it. The next morning was a Saturday, and I was going to call the realtor about looking at some houses. FYM said, "Mom, I don't think you should use that realtor. She sent you some houses that aren't in good places. Let's just get in the car and drive around and find a house." I agreed. We stopped at a house that was for sale by owner. It was too expensive, and the yard wasn't fenced. Then we saw a sign for an open house. "Do you want to look at it?" he asked. Looking was fine with me. We pulled up to the house and walked inside. We gave each other a thumbs up as we saw the foyer with two large closets and the cute living room. We went in the kitchen, which had been remodeled beautifully, and spoke with the realtors. How many bathrooms are there? I asked. Two, the realtors said. Yes. This was the house. I took a quick look around and said, I'll take it. One of the realtors gave me names of people who could arrange for my loan. FYM and I lived here together for eleven months. He helped me get settled in the area, and he comforted me when I cried. But a mom living with a son in his late twenties didn't really work. FYM always felt this was MY house. A girlfriend of his moved in with us, and the two of them nearly drove me insane. We were ready to kill each other, so he rented a house and moved out before either one of us committed murder. Now he lives two minutes away. He helps me when I need him, but the best thing he's done is encourage me to learn how to do things I need and want to do. I never knew I could be so self-sufficient. I like my little house. It's comfortable, and I'm happy living with the dogs and enjoying weekend visits from Willy Dunne Wooters. I've made a number of improvements to the house, and I shall continue to do so.

Love,
Janie

Michelle F said...

What a beautiful home. Pity the lake dried up with no rain and the utilities were high.
However, sure looks like God was in the buying and selling of the homes.

Mike said...

OK, now I get it. Your question on (Sunday)Monday was really about today, (Tuesday)Wednesday. Refer back to my answer on (Sunday)Monday.

Brenda @ Its A Beautiful Life said...

What a lovely home you lived in. Just lovely.

Not too many stories about buying or selling.

Wishing you a beautiful day...
Brenda

Amy at love made my home said...

I am glad that it went so well for you and that you like your new home! xx

Grantham Lynn said...

Oh I wanted to link. Is it already over? I guess I am confused about the date. I am sorry. I loved your story. It was great to hear how you stepped out on faith and God gave you a Fabulous Blessing. Enjoy your wonderful place.
Have a great Thursday,
Sherry

The Yum List said...

It's so important to not only see a property at different times of day and days of the week, but you've also shown the importance of looking at it in different seasons too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...