Thursday, October 30, 2014

What Are You Afraid Of?

Last Sunday in the USA Weekend there were three items listed that people might fear: Zombies, snakes and dolls.  It's Halloween, Reformation Day in the Lutheran Church (and others), but the time for ghosts and witches in the secular world.  Reformation is celebrated as the day Martin Luther hung his 95 theses for church reform on his church in Wittenberg on All Saints Day.  Someone identified him on a blog last week as the first real protester.  



Maybe he was, and he sure stirred up a lot of controversy.  If you click on his name, you will see more of this history, if you are interested.  On Sunday, I'll post pictures of Wittenberg and the Castle Church.



Enough of that, I digress - Here's what I'm most afraid of....darkness and basements, or dark basements.  When I was a little girl, I had an uncle who was about seven years older. He used to tell me ghost stories about ghosts in the basement.  We kept potatoes and canned goods in a room in the basement on the farm.  So he would say that a little girl went to the basement to get some fruit for her mother, when a ghost warned her not to tell anyone he was there.  The little girl grabbed the fruit and ran up the stairs to tell her mother that there was a ghost in the basement, but the mother just laughed at her.

That night, as the little girl slept, the ghost crept up the stairs from the basement, one step, two steps, three steps, four steps.  Then he climbed the stairs to the little girl's room....one step, two steps, three steps, four steps, five steps.  When he got to the little girl's room, he started removing the covers....one cover, two covers, three covers...then GOTCHA!  He would grab me.  To this day, I cannot walk up the stairs from that basement that I don't feel that the ghost is right behind me!

Okay, so what are you afraid of?  Let's have a little fun on Halloween!

Linda Kay

21 comments:

Linda said...

Large snakes and spiders! :)

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Hi Linda

You told that story well! I felt the suspense!

I usually don't believe in ghosts but I must have seen one recently when my husband and I celebrated our anniversary in the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, CO. When I downloaded my photos two ghostly figures appeared! I blogged about it earlier in the month.

Right now driving in the Rockies scares me...lol! The steep grades of mountain roads feels like a roller coaster!

Have a Happy Halloween!

Tanya Breese said...

hmmm i'm not afraid of ghosts but am more afraid of having something bad happen by real humans!

Mike said...

Extremist right wing haters taking over. Where are the centrist Dems and Repubs that used to get along.

whiteangel said...

Venomous snakes that come too close plus Crocks that come too close...though I don't show fear, I really wonder how close they will come when facing them.

That is not a nice thing for you to be told when a child. ..

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Clowns and enclosed places.

Bethany Carson said...

Oh no...what a scary story from your uncle!

It's good to remember Reformation Day, and I'm glad you mentioned it.

Dark basements were always a bit scary for me too...I even dreamt there were lions in ours!

John's Island said...

Hi Linda Kay, Great story! I am afraid of the traffic in Seattle! :-) Happy Halloween! John

Cranberry Morning said...

Okay, Linda, I'm not reading the story about the basement. My brothers used to scare me to death with spooky stories. Basements were always featured. I have no fear of ours, but I remember being so scared of ours when I was a kid. Martin Luther is a hero, after his amazing transformation when it finally dawned on him that he could stand before almighty God,, not because of what he had done, but because of what Jesus had done. Justified by faith. I was just this morning reflecting on a favorite hymn, A Mighty Fortress Is Our God.

TexWisGirl said...

we had one of those dark, dank basements in the wisconsin farmhouse, too. the darker areas were where we stored canned goods and the like. creepy and musty and spidery! :)

i don't like scary stuff that happens in real life. crazy people, murderers, rapists, etc.

Nonnie said...

Happy Reformation Day! I'm afraid of writing out my fears.

HOOTIN ANNI said...

...at such a young impressionistic age to be told stories like that of basements, I can understand why you have the fear today.

Me? I'm deathly afraid of snakes. My older brother had a garter snake and he put it down the back of my blouse, and the snake climbed out and wrapped itself around my neck...didn't squeeze or anything of course, but scared me. Yep, to this day...a snake phobia.

DeniseinVA said...

Scary stories, lol! My grandmother had a basement, you never found me in it. I once walked home at night and the moon came out. When I looked behind me up the lane I saw this misty shape drifting towards me. I screamed blue bloody murder and made it to my front door in 30 seconds. I was still a good long walk away from home and I truly did not think I could move that fast. A trick of the imagination I'm sure but good grief, did it scare me at the time.

Janice C said...

Large spiders!

Gosia k said...

I like Halloween. But the ghosts don't exist...Haaa

Mage said...

Oh linda. You have stirred us all up. I'm so mundane with my fears. The worst I think is height.

Michelle F said...

Hi, Linda!

I was terrified for years over the `boogie man` getting me in the dark.
Something else that gives me the heeby-geebies, when I think about it is a little something my mom kept in our attic for Halloween.
My mom loved to help out any way she could and Halloween was one of those times. So she kept a plastic skull in the attic just to serve its purpose when it was time. BOO...

Janie Junebug said...

Rodents. Snakes. The death of someone important to me. One year on Reformation we had a history teacher from a private school give the sermon in our Lutheran Church. He went on and on about Reformation forever. The Hurricane was the acolyte that day. The assistant pastor whispered to her, Isn't this the most interesting sermon you've ever heard? NOT! He whispered other comments, too, that indicated how bored he was. I thought that was hilarious. It was definitely the most boring sermon I've ever heard, so now I also fear boring sermons.

Love,
Janie,

orchid Miyako said...

Hi, Dearest Linda; Oh, we don't have basement much here in Japan. When little, I wished we had and able to play in there p;-)
When young girl, I was SO afraid of going bathroom while night. My naughty late bro told me that there is a ghost during the night(^^;)

So sorry for my recent absence, I finally started to catching up my friends' post:-)
Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend in America, xoxo Miyako*

Rory Bore said...

oh my!! this brought back jittery goosebump memories of my grandmother's cold cellar!! If her home-made pickles and jams were not SOOO good, I never would have went down there to fetch a jar.
For me -- it's corn fields at night. especially if you have to chase stupid cows out of them.

Cynthia said...

Heights! I was scared of the basement as a kid and when Mom would send me down there for canned fruit or vegetables, I would set records for running down and back up the stairs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...