Monday, November 17, 2014

A Short Story #1-Judy's New Life

As a writer, I enjoy a chance to create a story.  With the prompts from Josie 2 Shoes for this Tuesday, here begins a new story for your enjoyment.  My soap opera for the blog, if you will.  Look for the continuation of the story each Tuesday, using Josie's prompts.  Today the prompts are observe and omen.  The title of this short story is "Judy's New Life"

Judy's New Life Post # 1


Nightfall crept in on the sea of fog that covered the grounds in the old cemetery.  Judy came to visit the grave sites of her parents and grandparents on this gloomy, overcast day, seeking someone who would listen.  No interruptions, no accusations, and no judgments would emanate from these cold, inscribed marble slabs. At least one would hope not.  These people always loved her and wanted her to be happy.  Not so for many of the rest of the world. 

Judy sat on the damp ground, feeling the cold seep into her bones, as though those buried here were pulling her into their world.  Around her the trees rustled as the wind picked up.  With tears in her eyes she shared her deep sorrow with her family.  Her husband had left her.  The children were torn between them, each taking a side as to who was at fault.  She had no job or savings to pull from.  How would she survive on her own, supporting her children and keeping a roof over their heads?  The betrayal was unbearable.  How could she have been so blind that she didn't see that Duane was having an affair?

In the silence of the cemetery, Judy observed the lights of a car pulling into the narrow path that led into the grounds.  She watched its approach, temporarily distracted from her tears and lament.  The car came to a stop a short distance away, and a woman stepped out of the car.  She walked slowly toward Judy.  At a grave stone just ten feet away, the woman placed a bouquet of flowers on the grave and kissed the stone.  With a brief glance at Judy, she began to walk away.  Then she turned back.
           
“God bless you, my dear.  This too shall pass.”  With no other comment, she walked on to her car and drove away.  Judy watched her pull out onto the path and drive out onto the highway.

“This too shall pass?”  Judy contemplated the phrase for a moment.  Could this be an omen of good things to come or an omen of the sadness that would continue to haunt her existence?  She stood up, and after gently touching the surface of her parent’s headstone, Judy walked to her car.  As rain began to fall and the wind picked up, Judy wondered how she would face tomorrow.

To be continued next Tuesday......

Thanks for hosting!  
Two Shoes Tuesdsay
Linda Kay

29 comments:

Linda said...

This is wonderful, Linda!

Margaret Adamson said...

Great start to the story. True to real life also.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

A great beginning. It made me want to read what follows.

Saucy Kodz said...

Part II please - great start.

whiteangel said...

Oh i like that...well done.

Mary Hill said...

Hi, can't wait to see part two. Thanks for sharing.

W. Latane Barton said...

Now you have me intrigued. Come on next installment.

Cranberry Morning said...

Nice work! And you have us all waiting...

TexWisGirl said...

very nice intro! i think we've all been low like that at one time or another.

Amy at love made my home said...

I am intrigued now to know what happens next! xx

William Kendall said...

Well done!

John's Island said...

Hmmmm ... Looks like I'll be back next Tuesday. :-)

Lisa @ The Meaning of Me said...

Well done! I love the questions, the repetition of the word omen. Very reflective of how one's thoughts might run in that situation.

Gosia k said...

interesting you are a gifted person at writing

Revrunner said...

Carries me back to a creative writing class I once participated in. Never again! I'll leave that to obviously creative folks like you. :-)

Michelle F said...

I see only good things on the horizon.

xoxo

DeniseinVA said...

You've hooked me Linda Kay, I am looking forward to your next installment. Great story!

oldegg said...

As many have said this is such a great start to a serial. I can't wait until next week to see where you will take us.

Jim said...

A very nice start here, Linda. I will be around, at least to here, next week. You did it right. I hope a word or words Josie picks will fit in.
..

Rory Bore said...

This is great!! I am so intrigued... what did the woman mean??!!
Looking forward to more of the story.

Janie Junebug said...

Excellent, but I hate waiting!

Love,
Janie

Josie Two Shoes said...

Awesome intro to a story, Linda Kay! You have a gift for making them sound very real. I love the way you led us to wondering what the future will bring for Judy. I'll be eager for next week, I think you'll like the prompts I'm planning on! :-)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Val said...

Linda Kay, what a wonderful beginning to a story. I can't wait to read more. It is interesting how certain occurrences which seem like coincidence are not coincidence at all but omens, or messages or divine moments that will affect change.

McGuffy Ann Morris said...

Intriguing...I look forward to more of the story.

Jeanne said...

Hi Linda, Thanks for your comment about my turkey post. I am so late commenting this week.
Your story is a great read so far. Now I want to read the rest of the story. Smile!!!
Happy Thanksgiving,
xo, Jeanne

Brenda Gladden said...

Ok..you have my interest piqued!

Anita said...

I love the line 'this too shall pass'- I feel it's very hopeful.

Now interested to know what happens next. Hope for happy ending :)

i b arora said...

nice story

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...