Thursday, November 6, 2014

Fragments for a Friday

This will be my first time joining Friday Fragments at Half Past Kissin Time, although I think that many times my posts are kind of fragmented!  Where to start.....

1.  The election is over, and we have to just move on, right?  The ad slogan I heard so frequently during the pre-election was "I'll FIGHT for you!"  Really.  I think we have quite enough fighting going on, and fighting is not the way I would approach anything.  Just really turns me off, and every single candidate uses it.  I suppose they think it makes them sound tough and dependable.

2.  Had some friends over for dinner.  It was fun to decorate the table with chargers, pumpkins, golden flowers and leaves and glassware.  What do you think?




I found this cute little floating candle in Chandler AZ in a gift shop.  It was really nice to see it lit and floating near the appetizers.














My Sister in Law Judy Lynn makes the most scrumptious pies, and this one was from her recipe for Raspberry Apple Pie.  It is basically apples in a pie shell with a box of raspberry jello sprinkled over them, then a flour, sugar and butter crust over the top.  It's pretty sweet, but such a lovely dessert to serve.

3.  The San Antonio Express News had an article on Sunday about Helena TX, which was once a notorious outlaw town.  They had a reenactment of a gun fight at their Summer Heritage Festival.  The article goes on to say that the town is now a ghost town in the middle of the Eagle Ford Shale and lots of oil.  It seems the oil boom is adding new life to this little town.  The Shale covers some 20,000 square miles across 26 counties.  Isn't it interesting how time changes things as some things that were once deserted suddenly find new life.  Many small towns have found ways to bring new life through investments in various venues.  We owe that to lots of ingenuity and confidence.  Or just to fate.

4.  Tonight my two daughters and I get to go to the Majestic Theater in San Antonio to see "Dirty Dancing" on stage.  This is our second year of season tickets.  Last year my older daughter suggested this as she loves the theater and has been exposed to it in New York and all over the world, basically.  My younger daughter had never been.  So we are now enjoying our joint adventure.  We'll have dinner out, then head for the theater.  I'll let you know how it goes.

5.  And finally from our local paper The Fredericksburg Standard an article describes the concern for affordable housing for the huge growth in and around the city.  Fortunately, we have lots of tourists here, but that tends to drive up some of the housing prices for rentals, etc., especially when some come here for the winter months from the North.  We have many new facilities opening up, but some of them will be hiring workers in the lower wage brackets.  With low pay, the housing is becoming a challenge.  Check out the article for how the city is looking at how to assist private builders to provide options.  Hmmm.

Well I'm out of fragments for this Friday.  Just sharing with you some things on my mind.  Thanks for hosting the Friday Fragments.

Linda Kay

23 comments:

William Kendall said...

Raspberry apple pie sounds tempting!

Bethany Carson said...

Enjoyed your post, Linda!
The table is set gorgeously, and that pie looks *so* scrumptious! I dearly wish I could have a piece...and I just ate supper 2 hours ago; why am I suddenly so hungry again? If I ever start putting on extra pounds I will have my favorite bloggers who post photos of delicious food to blame!

The part I dislike about "I'll fight for you" is that it's for the most part just an empty campaign promise. I've tried writing to several politicians about issues that are important to me; most of them couldn't seem to care less.

In any case, I'm glad the election is over; no more survey calls and political junk-mail (I hope)!

eViL pOp TaRt said...

You set a beautiful table, Linda Kay!

TexWisGirl said...

the pie looks AWESOME! i think someone in my family made that kind, too.

nice tablescape. :)

Rory Bore said...

You set a very nice table!!
I love candles on the table and floating candles are especially nice, the way they reflect on the water.
I actually saw Dirty Dancing at Radio City Musical Hall many years ago. It was fantastic. I love to see live plays. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Janie Junebug said...

My favorite is #1. Your table is beautiful.

Love,
Janie

Linda said...

That is a lovely tablescape, Linda!

Romi C said...

Your table looks gorgeous.

Saucy Kodz said...

Your dinner table looks fabulous - lovely colours and I do like the floating candle. Colours are most lovely for the fall - everything most charming.

orchid Miyako said...

Wow; I ADMIRE your fantastic and gorgeous tablescape, Linda♡♡♡ So different from our style and your arrangement is really beautiful♪♪♪
Oh, I wished to try the pie your sister in law made :-)

As you know I'm away from PC for more than a week, see you in two weeks, my friend.
Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan, xoxo Mi

whiteangel said...

Your dinner table does look delightful. I can eat pumpkin, but it hates me so i avoid it...but i like it!
Hope you enjoyed your movie.

Mage said...

Nice fragments. Did you know that a starter studio apartment in San Francisco is $2000.00?

Revrunner said...

Very fancy. I'd be afraid to eat. :-)

HOOTIN ANNI said...

I would still love to drive up to S A to see "Wicked"....missed it last time it was there. Maybe some time soon it will come down here. Enjoy your night out with your daughters!

As for the outcome of the elections...I too think campaigning has turned into a fight for a job instead of working FOR the people. Sadly, it's been too much fighting and not accomplishing anything but disaster. Time will tell.

That pie looks scrumptious as does your table setting.

Michelle F said...

I like your table-setting.
Reminds me of our Thanksgiving meal, yesterday.
We had about 20 - 30 people and quite a spread.

I love to hear of once booming towns booming once again. I can remember hearing the concept of booming towns when I was a child and couldn't yet grasp the meaning.

Mike said...

I think housing problems are going to get a lot worse before they start getting better.

McGuffy Ann Morris said...

Beautiful table setting! What a great time you must have had.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lea said...

Lovely table setting!
I'm glad the election is over. There were a lot of accusations about wrongdoings here.
Thanks for your visit and comment on my blog
Have a great week-end!
Lea

Amy at love made my home said...

Interesting fragments. I think that your dinner table looks lovely, I hope that you had a great time with your friends. xx

Marie said...

Love your Autumn table! I plan a decorative table for Thanksgiving myself. So interested in Helena as a rejuvenated ghost town...ghost towns are always wonderful little postcards of the past! Of course, I know I have told you before how much I love Fredricksburg...we always enjoyed driving through there on our way west, plus we made a couple of excursions there.I can imagine it would be expensive to live there. The entire Hill Country is bound to be. I always regretted not seeing Lady Bird Johnson's wildflower park when we lived close enough to go. I bet you will enjoy the play! My daughter and I are considering going to see Wuthering Heights at U of A...not sure if that should be her first exposure to the story, though. If they don;'t do a great job, it could ruin it for her. She and I went to see Steel Magnolias together by that wonderful little theatre group in Brenham, TX.

Fancy Ranci said...

Love your table setting! And the pie sounds delicious! Maybe she would let you post her recipe.

Hannah said...

Such a beautiful table setting! I like the crystal dishes set on the china. The high cost of housing is a worrisome thing for the young people just getting started and trying to make it on the lower wages so prevalent today. I hope there is a solution.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...