Monday, November 17, 2014

It's Monday! at Random

Random-osity has a meme:  Good, Random, Fun.  So I'm joining that on this Monday morning to share a couple of thoughts with you. 
Join the fun.


Good 
My daughter Angel (she's the tall daughter for those of you who keep up with me) went to her OBGYN on Thursday, mainly to check on a small lump under her breast.  The good news is that it is merely a small gland that is swollen for some reason.  But she's having a mammo anyway, cuz she is 40!  Praise the Lord for relief from worry!

Random
This could also maybe qualify as fun.  I received my weekly issue of my hometown paper, The Delavan Times on Saturday.  Each week the editor includes some information that appeared in a paper many years ago.  They are celebrating 140 consecutive years of publishing.  In the Times on page eight from Wednesday, November 5, 2014, this article was from Saturday, November 21, 1874.

"Indicted" -"S.S.C, proprietor of the gin mill on Fifth Street has been indicted by the Grand Jury of Tazewell County on two counts, one for selling liquor to a minor and the other for keeping a tippling house open on Sunday. As a trial before a grand jury admits evidence for the prosecution only and an indictment is merely an accusation made by the grand jury and based by the evidence of one side only, of course, Mr C is yet to be proven guilty.  It has, however, for a long time been evident that the State laws prohibiting dealers from selling liquors to minors, and on Sunday, have been completely ignored by vendors of ardent spirits in this place; and as successful have they been, not only in the legalized part of their nefarious calling, but also in evading State laws and by litigation triumphing over town ordinances, that it would seem they have become permanent fixtures and all efforts to dislodge them must end in failure.  But every dog has its day and we believe the poison trade in Delavan is about defunct.  The temperance people of this place evince a strong determination to suppress the evil and we sincerely hope their efforts may result successfully.  But their enemies are men who are not to be frightened by pretense and parade; nor will they stop for any outlay of expense to further their cause.  The temperance people must meet money by money, nerve by nerve, and trade off their gloves while so engaged in suppressing the liquor traffic."

My, haven't things changed?  Some of the stories in these issues are very interesting.  And don't you just love the rhetoric?  

Fun

You remember my little Polly? She's a little yorkie/maltese and is now a year and a half.  Since I had my heavier slippers out with the cold spell in Texas, Polly confiscated this one from my closet.  I didn't record the sound, but she was growling a bit at me when I took the picture to warn me that she was now in control of the slipper.  Then her sister Izzy came over grumbling as well, protecting Polly's prey.  So funny.

1874, Temperence.....and no drinking on Sunday, for sure!

Have a great Monday
Linda Kay

25 comments:

John's Island said...

Hi Linda Kay, Neat idea for Monday: Good, Random, Fun. I especially like the old report on S.S.C. being indicted. Now, that's right up my alley with my collection of antique paper! Thanks for sharing. John

Revrunner said...

Step away from the slipper! :-)

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Polly is absolutely adorable!

It's interesting the language used in that 1874 newspaper: ardent spirits, gin mill.

Nonnie said...

Polly wants a slipper! What a cutie. Have a nice Monday.

Mike said...

"The temperance people" have been beaten!

Marie said...

Your Yorkie is adorable. Love the temperance article! Fun to see, as you say, how things have changed!

TexWisGirl said...

little slipper thief!

'tippling house'. ha!

DeniseinVA said...

Good news about your daughter, a big relief. Fascinating piece from the newspaper. And too cute the last shot. What a sweetie!

Linda said...

Polly is a sweetie, Linda! Wonderful post! :)

Friko said...

Don’t you dare to claim that slipper. It’s no longer yours!

Cheers!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What a fun post. I'm enjoying your blog and now I'm following you, too. I don't know why an old photo came up but you'll know who I am...I hope! lol Hugs, Diane

Gosia k said...

great dog..

Jeanne said...

Hi Linda Kay, I am so glad Angel did not have a serious report from the doctor. What a relief. Prayers are answered.

The newspaper issued so many years ago was very interesting. Temperance was a big issue back then. It was fun to read.

Your pup is sooooo cute with your slipper firmly in hold. Our pup would be growling too. Funny that your other pup entered into the scene with protection. Big smile here.
Jeanne

William Kendall said...

Polly's a cutie.

One of our papers used to do that, something like ten, fifty, and a hundred years back.

Tamar SB said...

Poly is so cute! Glad your daughter is ok!

Bethany Carson said...

Haha...Polly looks like a cutie! I think it is a common trait of dogs to steal slippers and shoes. Our dog Ginger went so far as to steal our neighbor's extra shoes...first we'd find a right, then a left, then another pair! We had an incredibly patient neighbor for all the capers she pulled, but we did have some serious payback when they got new puppies!

Cranberry Morning said...

Who knew a slipper could be such a prized possession! Cute! And yes I loved the article and it's 'ardent spirits.' :-)

Nicki said...

So glad it was just a swollen gland for your daughter and Polly is too cute - I'd probably just let her have the slipper.

Rory Bore said...

awww Polly is soo cute!!
Our cat seems to like my socks - I usually have a pair by where the computer is because my feet get cold if I am sitting long.

The Armchair Squid said...

Good news about your daughter. Must be a relief!

Far Side of Fifty said...

I bet Polly has lots of toys...but slippers are better!
Way cool article...I enjoyed reading about the evil liquor:)

Amy at love made my home said...

I am so very glad that all is well for your daughter, I hope that the mammogram is OK too. xx

Michelle F said...

Praise God!

I am so glad it was only a swollen gland.
I know that is a relief!

I enjoy reading about long ago times.
Through reviewing books I have actually found a love for historical novels. Yes, times sure have changed.

Btw, I would love to have you for Thanksgiving Dinner and a chat.

xoxo

Cynthia said...

What a tiny (and cute) dog to be so ferocious! Glad your daughter had a good report from the doctor. Those kind of things are so worrisome.

carol l mckenna said...

Adorable doggie and great photo!


Happy Week to you,
artmusedog and carol
www.acreativeharbor.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...