Sunday, November 9, 2014

My Family - Veterans Day

Joining today with Retired-Not-Tired for Memory Monday.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Before I start with my family commentary, I want to first recognize anyone out there who has served in the military on this Veterans' Day to say Thank You for your Service!  My older daughter and son-in-law are veterans, so I am aware of the sacrifice made by those who have taken time out from themselves to serve their country.

100% of my ancestors came from Germany, from the farmlands around Emden.  They were farmers, cobblers and craftsmen.  We were able to visit these little towns of Rysum and Twixlun a couple of years ago.  My dad's parents came through Ellis Island, but my mother's parents were born here in the states.  My parents grew up on farms just less than ten miles apart and met at a local town homecoming.  I have three brothers; Dan a Lutheran Minister, Dave on the farm where I grew up, and Kevin who is deceased.  Now don't go thinking I'm spoiled because I'm the only girl!

From my first marriage, I have three wonderful children.  Heidi is married to Charlie and they have our grandson Carson, who you have seen on the blog.  They are in Boerne, TX.

Randy is married to Tracy and they have two children, Dalton and Grace.  They currently live in Auburn, IL, but are moving to Texas with us in the Spring/Summer.


Angel has three lovely girls.  She lives in Kerrville, TX...just down the road from us and is a representative for the Ranch Radio Station.

From the left is Kenze (17), Angel, Macy (18, college freshman) and Lexi (getting married in May to Tyler).  They are all as sweet as they are beautiful.


Here are the five of us at a recent family reunion with all the cousins, brothers, etc.

I consider myself very fortunate to have my children and my wonderful hubby, Jerry in my life.  We definitely have our moments like any others, but for the most part really enjoy living life together.  This next summer I will have all of my children (not the grands) here in Texas within an hours drive.  

Happy Veterans' Day to all the vets out there.  God Bless

Linda Kay
Retired Not Tired Memory Monday

30 comments:

Gosia k said...

You have a nice and a big family. You should be happy in that beautiful family. Interesting family history no as complicated as mine.

Mike said...

It's always good to have family close by.

Romi C said...

Thank you for sharing the photos of your beautiful family.

Amy at love made my home said...

A lovely way to remember and share your wonderful family and to remember their service too. xx

Saucy Kodz said...

It is so nice when family live not too far away and one can visit. You have a beautiful family . Thinking about Vets out there too, except our service is on Nov 11 - (11-11-11). Have a wonderful day.

whiteangel said...

Lovely family. Thanks for sharing and it will be wonderful all living not too far away.
Ellis Island, there is a lovely song sung by an Irishman, Tommy Fleming with the words Ellis Island in it, it's one of my favourite.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Such a lovely family you have; and it's a blessing that they're so close!

Bethany Carson said...

What a beautiful family! I think Heidi and Charlie did a great job naming their son!

Tabor said...

I have not moved to a warmer climate just to stay close to my children and grandchildren. While they could be moved any day, I still treasure this time so close.

TexWisGirl said...

wonderful family! congratulations on getting the kids close!

retired not tired said...

What a great tribute to the Veterans and your family is lovely.

Kathy said...

I enjoyed reading about your lovely family! I know you'll be thrilled to have most of them living closer, soon.

Fancy Ranci said...

I loved meeting your family! How lucky you are that all of them will be close soon. I live 15 min. from my mom and have one sister that's equally close and then another sister an hour away. I wouldn't want it any other way!

Nonnie said...

You have a beautiful family and it's wonderful that you will soon have all of them in close range. Until I moved to San Antonio many years ago, I never knew of all the German settlers in Texas. Very interesting history and how fun it is that you were able to visit those villages in Germany. Germany is such a great place to visit.

John's Island said...

Hi Linda Kay, You sure have a fine looking family. Thanks for sharing on your blog. John

William Kendall said...

It looks like a happy family!

Marie said...

A lovely Veteran's Day (and immigrant) tribute post! And you have a beautiful family!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Michelle F said...

You have a lovely family and how wonderful that you'll be a hour apart.
Blessings abound!

Cranberry Morning said...

Beautiful family! I bet you can hardly wait for next summer to get here. How lovely to have all your children within an hour's drive. That's wonderful! Now if we could only get our Texas daughter to move back to Wisconsin where she grew up. LOL (not happening, I know)

Cynthia said...

You have a beautiful family, and how wonderful they will soon all be living close to you. I count that as one if my biggest blessings -- that my children and grandchildren have not moved far away and I get to see them all the time.

HOOTIN ANNI said...

This is so wonderful to read. Having your children all in the same state. That will be super, I just know it.

Hey? Kerrville is one of my favorite little towns. I think the area is very pretty. If I were to relocate in Texas sometime in the future, it'd either be Kerrville or Marble Falls. lol

Great post....loved viewing your family photos.

The Yum List said...

What a beautiful family you have!

Mary said...

Beautiful family!

Rory Bore said...

A big, beautiful family!! That's a great blessing.. and how nice that they will all be close soon.

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderful post ~ beautiful family ~

Happy Week to you,
artmusedog and carol
A Creative Harbor

Tanya Breese said...

what a beautiful family you have...you have sure been blessed!!

Linda said...

Linda, what a great post! You have such a lovely family!

Janie Junebug said...

Such a beautiful family. My dad and my brother were vets.

Love,
Janie

Ida said...

You have a very lovely family and thanks for remembering those who serve.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...