Sunday, November 2, 2014

My First Friend - BFF

Memory Monday presents us with the challenge today to talk about our first friend, so I'm introducing you to LaVerda.  Thanks for hosting!  


Retired Not Tired Memory Monday

We have to really turn back the clock on this one, because I met my first friend at the age of three at Sunday School at St. Peter Lutheran Church in Emden, Illinois.  We were both country girls, descendants of German farm families who attended church in this very small town.  I have so many memories of our relationship through the years.

One of the memories from third grade (and I can still picture where I was in the old grade school when I heard the news) was of the death of LaVerda's dad.  He was killed in a farm machinery accident, and I was so totally stunned.  This made such a difference in her life, as she and her mother, Lillian, had to move into town.  Lil' had to go to work to make a living for them.  So LaVerda became a 'towny', and I was still in the country.  

As we grew older and started dating, there were many times I spent the night at LaVerda's, where I would then get to go uptown after school for a coke at the restaurant.  We could meet our friends there and we could have guys over to her house for a short while in the evening.  Many times we would pile into a car with other friends and drive to Lincoln, where I met my first husband.  

Our last big event in high school was the senior prom, which both of us attended with now ex-husbands.  We had a couple of rough roads for a bit of time after graduation, but managed to mend those differences later on.  LaVerda was never a big fan of my ex, rightfully so, but she was always there as a confidant for me.  We lived back in the same small town for several years where we celebrated new babies and enjoyed many a house party.  After her divorce, she moved away, and I struggled on for several years until my own divorce.

Long story short, LaVerda worked at a construction firm where my current husband was also employed.  Before my divorce was final she invited me to join some of her single friends, including my current hubby, to go out to eat and dancing.  Introducing me to Jerry was the probably the greatest gift she could have given me.  We were married six months later, and that was almost 30 years ago.

My BFF married a guy from her office and they together moved to Minnesota.  We visited them once after they had moved.  She called me several months later to let me know that Byron had been killed in a plane crash.  Within a few days I was in Minnesota to help her pack things up to move back to Illinois, along with the help of some other friends with a truck.  

We have shared troubles with children, we have lived many miles apart in totally different lives, and we have managed to still have that link that reminds us of that deep connection we share.  I called her before I wrote this to tell her she will be on the blog, so we had a chance to catch up.  She now lives in Florida, I in Texas, and we both have a standing invitation to visit when we can.  Otherwise, there is always the phone, Facebook, and email.

Love you, LaVerda! (Verdie, Birdie)

Linda Kay

17 comments:

Mike said...

My wife was born in another big town in Illinois, La Harpe.

Romi C said...

Thank you for sharing your wonderful story of your long-term friendship, Linda.

Somehow, I've lost touch with most of my old friends, and I've just started making new friends in the new place where I live now.

biebkriebels said...

That is quite a story, nice you are still friends in contact.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

I enjoyed reading about your long-term friendship with LaVerne.

retired not tired said...

I am sorry you couldn't link up. Your friend sounds much like my friend Bev. Even though there have been many miles between us we still stay connected. I think losing touch with my first friend made me appreciate my later friendships.

Nonnie said...

How wonderful to have a friend you have been able to stay connected with AND one who introduced you to your husband. All the things you have been able to share over the years are so special. Both our kids have lifelong friends and I think that is something to be treasured.

Lin Floyd said...

friends are life changers...I have a friend from 5th grade and we still keep in touch now 65 years later...

TexWisGirl said...

truly a very special friendship. she has endured such losses - first her dad, then her husband. and divorces are never easy things for anyone. glad you've had each other.

Cranberry Morning said...

There is something about those first friendships. They're unlike any others. I enjoyed your story, and how you and LaVerda have been there for each other throughout the years.

William Kendall said...

Quite a tribute to your friend!

DeniseinVA said...

Wonderful story Linda Kay. It is great that you were there for each other.

Janie Junebug said...

May God bless LaVerda. I met my first friend, Michelle, in Vacation Bible School when we were four.

Love,
Janie

bakku-shan said...

An excellent tribute to LaVerda!

knitbakecultivate said...

Thankyou for sharing such an interesting story of true friendship, and what a turbulent past you have both had. I am sure the hard times were made easier by having such a good friend to lean on, and vice versa.

Cynthia said...

What a wonderful story of a friendship. It reminds me of that song, "make new friends, but keep the old. One is silver and the other's gold."

The Yum List said...

Oh now this is a fun topic to think about!

Michelle F said...

What a great tribute, even with the sad parts.
I don't remember who my first friend was.
However, I do remember it must have been in Kindergarten. Before that I only remember hanging around my sister.

Thank you for sharing LaVerda with us!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...