Saturday, November 8, 2014

Sunday in Fredericksburg

I'm pretty sure I have mentioned in a blog previous to this that there are many, many churches in Fredericksburg.  
This is the Vereins Kirche, featured in the article about Fredericksburg History.  It was the first public structure built in Fredericksburg back in the day, in the middle of a street.  It has since been moved to the park adjacent to where it was originally built.  In addition to the Vereins Kirche there are listed in the phone book eight major churches, of which four are Lutheran of various synods.  Not surprising in view of the German heritage.  

As you can imagine there are large crowds at these churches on Sunday mornings.

In addition to church services on Sunday, the shops are open in the afternoon, the Admiral Nimitz Museum is open to visitors, and the wineries are serving until later in the afternoon.  And, if you want to ponder on the hereafter, the movie "Left Behind" is showing at the Fritztown Cinema.  

What's going on in your neck of the woods?  Hope you have a wonderful and blessed Sunday.

Linda Kay

18 comments:

Linda said...

Believe it or not, there are still some shops here in Montreal that close on Sundays. I applaud them. Fascinating post, Linda, thanks so much for sharing.

Gosia k said...

Linda, it is very interesting church especially the shape is so unusual..

Mike said...

The St. Louis area has historic spots that I've never been to.

John's Island said...

Hi Linda Kay, Did you know that CNN Travel just named Fredericksburg one of "6 of America's Most Romantic Small Towns"? Wow, pretty cool. To read about it on the web just do a Google search for "6 most romantic small towns cnn". To answer your question about did it frost here in Seattle ... no, it just got down to 44 degrees. The Native Americans gave names to each of the Full Moons through the year ... the frost I was referring to was the Frost Moon ... the full moon of November. Have a great Sunday! John

TexWisGirl said...

i hope you will link this great church to inspired sunday at www.inspiredsundaymeme.blogspot.com/

Lin Floyd said...

It's a quiet sunday in Utah, less traffic on the roads and in the stores as many attend their churches...

William Kendall said...

Quite an unusual looking church.

Marie said...

Wonderful church! I think I remember seeing this one. You should connect with Sunday InSPIREd with this post.

Tom said...

I was in Fredericksburg years ago, I'm sorry I miss this lovely church. Tom The Backroads Traveller

eViL pOp TaRt said...

A beautiful, different church!

ellen b said...

The shape is very interesting. The history is great, too.

Cynthia said...

I've never seen a church that shape. Interesting!

Beth of ".E." Lizard Breath Speaks said...

thx for linking up with us... awesome shape! very fond of this find. ( :

The Yum List said...

What a wonderfully shaped church.

Bethany Carson said...

Very neat looking church! I think I may have watched part of Left Behind once, but it was years ago, so I do not remember it clearly.

Janie Junebug said...

It's quiet here. Willy Dunne Wooters and I went out for lunch. He wonders if it will get cold here. The cold bothers him a lot. I don't mind it because I know I'll never shovel snow again. That church is beautiful. I love old churches. On one of The Hurricane's trips to Europe she especially wanted to see the altar art in certain churches.

Love,
Janie

Amy at love made my home said...

So interesting and such an unusual shaped building too. xx

Michelle F said...

Funny..but the church being built in the middle of the road, reminds me of a tree that was allowed to continue to grow in the middle of the road. They built the road around the tree, in the town I grew up in. I understand they have since removed the tree. I do not know the history of the tree or why they left it there.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...