Friday, November 21, 2014

The Week in Fragments on Friday

How has your week been?  We have had a busy one.  
1. Since I posted last Friday in this meme, our first adventure was on Saturday night.  We sang in choir at the 6 PM service at our church, then we headed for the little town of Harper Texas where they have a large community center with plenty of dance floor space.  The Band playing was the Almost Patsy Cline Bank, a big favorite in our Hill Country.  We got to practice our two-step skills!  Hope you enjoy this little YouTube special recording.



2. On Sunday night we enjoyed having three additional couples as guests at our dinner table.  We had just an old fashioned roast beef with all the trimmings.  I kept the potatoes out to bake separately and make twice-baked potatoes.  We started the dinner with a citrus salad that included orange segments, grapefruit segments, almonds and a poppy seed dressing.  Then we enjoyed a pumpkin crisp for dessert that was really good with a dollop of Whipped Cream.

3. Monday night was our Canasta night at the clubhouse.  We had six at our table, and there were four at two other tables.  Now that the winter Texans are back from their summer hiatus in the north, we have enough tables to have a good game.  Anyone play Canasta?

4. Tuesday is always a busy day for me.  I worked with a client at the Needs Council and then helped with some newsletter assembly.  My women's Writers'Group is called WOW (Women of Words).  We meet at noon on Tuesday to critique a chapter, a poem, a story, or whatever someone has written to give them feedback.  


Sally has a new children's book published, which will be out in January.  Sheila had prepared a devotional email she sends out to some followers.  Barb shared some writing she plans to include in a book on wives of artists that was fascinating.  Val writes Science Fiction, and usually shares an amazing chapter from books she is preparing. And Lynn continues her story, which she writes in long hand in a notebook.  This has been the most valuable interaction for me to have others read and make suggestions on what I am writing.  I had to leave this meeting just a bit early so that Jerry could pick up Carson at school for a couple of hours of Grandpa time until his folks get home.

5. Wednesday was fairly quiet, as that is my writing day, and Thursday can only be interrupted by a special event.  In this case Thursday at noon was my Soup Group at my friend Coleen's.  There are always  almost always eight ladies for lunch with plenty of wine, laughs and just plain fun.  If one of our group can't make it, then we invite someone new to join us. 

And just for fun...many of you enjoyed the article from the Delavan Times from the past, which I posted last week.  This article is in the November 5th edition, and is from November 21, 1874:

"Numerous complaints reach us about hunters shooting in corn fields where farmers are at work husking corn.  It must certainly be a source of great annoyance to farmers who are busily engaged in husking corn to have their team startled by reports of fire arms and quite often, serious results may occur through the carelessness of sportsmen.  A team naturally becomes restless by being driven so slow and the sudden bang of a gun in close proximity is not calculated to make them any easier to handle.  Hunters should think of this and confine their expeditions to other than husking grounds." 

That's my week.  Thanks for hosting the meme for Friday Fragments at Half Past Kissin Time, and Willy Nilly Friday 5 at Around Roanoke!
Half-Past Kissin' Time
Around Roanoke
Linda Kay

27 comments:

Revrunner said...

Reminds me of the gunfire I would occasionally hear erupt in the woods during deer season near the roads I used to bicycle.

Anvilcloud said...

You live a very sociable life. I don't know how I would cope. :)

Saucy Kodz said...

Your a very busy girl Missy and I am glad to say I am not in the cornfield. That would really scare me. Tomorrow is the last day of Deer Hunting Season, but small bird n game go on until the spring. We may be going out hunting tomorrow, but never just shoot. My Father taught me how to hunt proper - we also take cameras, and mostly the hunt turns into photos - we carry rifles mostly because of all the coyotes and they are not friendly. Some have seen packs of 15 or more - that's dangerous. Almost Patsy Cline is pretty cool. Have a wonderful day.

Kay said...

Why yes, those hunters should DEFINITELY choose fields where farmers are not husking their corn!! My best friend is a lawyer and sends me some of the funny laws that are still on books.

Will you guys just be touring around in TX, or where all do you go? You certainly had a more busy week than I, but I am thankful for that ;-)

HOOTIN ANNI said...

I haven't played canasta in YEARS! Probably can't remember much other than melding. lol

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

whiteangel said...

Sounds like you had lots of good fun this past week.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

It's so nice to have an amiable support group for your writing!

retired not tired said...

You have had a busy week. We missed dancing this week because of our colds. Have a great weekend.

TexWisGirl said...

sounds like you have several great groups you socialize with. the 1874 message is scary!

Mike said...

So guys with guns have been a problem... forever!

Marie said...

Well, you have such a busy life! Loved hearing the Almost Patsy Cline singing...they are great! Your different activities sound like a lot of fun. I used to belong to a Writer's Group and enjoyed it very much. It gives you encouragement, ideas and contacts.

Banker Chick said...

I played Canasta one summer for the whole summer with the niece of a neighbor who was visiting.

Tom said...

We have a local girl who does a Patsy show and she is great. Tom The Backroads Traveller

Betsy Adams said...

Wow--Girlie, You stay SO busy... You remind me of a friend of mine who loves being with people constantly --and belongs to all kinds of groups... I love the WOW--Women of Words group.. Sounds so neat for those who love to write.

I grew up playing Canasta. My parents had friends in at times --and always played Canasta... When I went to college, I changed to Bridge --so am not sure I'd even remember how to play Canasta now. BUT--I loved it.

Hugs,
Betsy

Janie Junebug said...

I like Almost Patsy Cline. I've had a busy week, too. I did most of my Thanksgiving dinner shopping. The turkey slowly thaws in the refrigerator.

Love,
Janie

".E." Lizard Breath Speaks, Beth said...

i love Patsy Cline. she is a Virginian - or so i was always told that??! ( :

her music is too great. i have several of her cds.

i linked up from my other blog today http://hike2forty.blogspot.com/

Gosia k said...

You lead a very busy lifestyle so in my opinion is very good for you.. Being active is important in our life because it helps in everyday routine..

Far Side of Fifty said...

I don't know how to play Canasta. You lead a very social life! We are homebodies! :)

William Kendall said...

Pumpkin crisp sounds tempting.

Husking grounds is not the sort of term you hear anymore!

Ida said...

Goodness you stay busy. I've never played Canasta. Pinochle yes but even that has been a long time ago.
Nice sounding band. I like the "old style" country like this.
Seems like you have good times with friends and lots of great things to do.

Mage said...

Yes, I really enjoyed that. Thanks so much for the lively blog this week. :) My day to day stuff seems so dry.

DeniseinVA said...

Great post, I enjoyed reading about your busy week.

Tanya Breese said...

oh you have had a busy but fun week! my parents and grandparents would play canasta when i was a kid on saturday nights...there were a few more that would play with them too. i remember it being A LOT of cards! there was even another version they played, mexican canasta. i never learned either game...i just sat in the living room and watched tv till i fell asleep. sometimes i'd get to make them all dessert :) thank you for linking and have a great weekend!!

Mascha said...

Good Morning (in our time now) -
I've enjoyed the song of P.C. and I am amazed that there are such funny interesting groups - I do not know anything, not even heard of it. I think, that here in Germany people a lot more for themselves... and I am myself autistic - that says it all - sigh!
But my life is wonderful in annother kind.
Have a great weeekend :-)

W. Latane Barton said...

You know, I played canasta once upon a long time ago but I don't remember one thing about it. But, I remember that it was fun.

Your meal sounded so scrumptious. Just perfect... just love those citrus salads.

The Wow group. I wish there was one near me. I'd love it.

Mrs4444 said...

I love twice-baked potatoes, and that salad sounds delicious. Sounds like your house is the place to hang out! :)

I admire your taking the initiative to write. Mr.4444 is always hounding me to write a book. One of these days....

Thanks for linking up, Linda Kay! Have a great weekend.

Amy at love made my home said...

Great times! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...