Monday, November 10, 2014

The Wisdom of Foolishness

That's a pretty strange title, right?  I'm joining in with Josie2Shoes today for Two Shoes Tuesday:  The words for today are wisdom and foolishness, which at first blush would be opposites.  Let's think about this.  

Sometimes it is really pretty wise to just be a little foolish.


Take a couple of moments to read this article about the health benefits of laughter, but taking from this:  Humor is infectious. The sound of roaring laughter is far more contagious than any cough, sniffle, or sneeze. When laughter is shared, it binds people together and increases happiness and intimacy. Laughter also triggers healthy physical changes in the body. Humor and laughter strengthen your immune system, boost your energy, diminish pain, and protect you from the damaging effects of stress. Best of all, this priceless medicine is fun, free, and easy to use.

The fun of enjoying blogs that make us laugh are a wise choice, so foolishness becomes wisdom in a sense, get it?  For example, we can laugh at the absurdity of this picture I was sent on Facebook:
 We had some friends for burgers and brats last night and had a couple of Port Wines we wanted to sample.  Jer and I  had found the first one in New Mexico.

 Of course, you can't sample Port wine without a bit of dark chocolate for your palette.  (These are actually chucks from some Dove Dark Chocolates.  Yummy)



Now our friends work for a winery providing tastings, etc., and they were able to get this port straight from the barrel.  Notice there is no label, and if I told you where it is from, I'd be shot at sunrise.

Depending on your preference, the first Port was a bit sweeter than the second, so among the six taste testers there were varying opinions as to the winner. Foolish, maybe, but fun. 

The wisdom in this taste testing is in knowing that this was just a taste test, and we weren't to drink the entire bottle of the very heavy, sugary wine!  


Two Shoes Tuesdsay
Hope this has given you just a chuckle today on the benefits of laughter.  Thanks for hosting Josie!  

Linda Kay

30 comments:

The Yum List said...

I do enjoy a nice drop of Port. Good with dark chocolate, but I like it with toasted walnuts too.

Janie Junebug said...

Laughter is the best medicine; therefore, laughter is wise because it keeps one healthy.

Love,
Janie

Mike said...

Just smiling for no reason is said to improve your physical well being.

Gosia k said...

funny post. Love Gosia

Romi C said...

Thank you for sharing your wisdom, Linda. :-)

Tabor said...

Laughter is certainly the best medicine and that young man can fix anything for me!!

eViL pOp TaRt said...

A little wine for your stomach's sake. A little more to enjoy things more. Chocolate is an apt accessory to wine.

Hilary said...

Laughter is the best medicine.
wine helps too!

TexWisGirl said...

foolish and fun is very wise, sometimes!

Zoe Byrd said...

I love a good wine tasting. I am off to read the laughter article... working in mental health I am often promoting smiling for the sake of stimulating neurotransmittors and such things... very cool what laughter does.

DeniseinVA said...

What fun and I do enjoy a glass of port, usually with a slice of cheese but will have to try that dark chocolate!

Rory Bore said...

Yeah, I'm gonna need him to come over to my house and fix...the.. I'll find something. LOL

see, I always view that sort of stuff as just silly nonsense. you can take it too seriously, but I mean - look at him; it just begs for something silly to be said.

I would love to get down with some "Foolish" wine and dark chocolate tasting! I can make room on my schedule for that! :)

McGuffy Ann Morris said...

I always make time for a sense of humour and friends to share it with. That Rory Bore, if she is there, I am!

oldegg said...

How important it is to balance the serious with humor. We need that to make our lives more bearable. Now dark chocolate and port are among my least favorite indulgences which seems appropriate when we are talking about the balance of wisdom and foolishness!

Amy at love made my home said...

My hubby really likes port! xx

Betsy Adams said...

I think it is 'wise' to be foolish at times... Even when we do something really foolish, we NEED to be wise as to how we react to it... I sometimes do foolish things without meaning to... BUT--IF I keep a good attitude and not get upset or made, then that is the wisest way to handle it.... Two great words...

Hugs,
Betsy

Cranberry Morning said...

Well, I wouldn't want you to be shot on my account, so I will refrain from asking. LOL I do agree that humor is so important. A good sense of humor is something I'm so glad my husband has. :-)

William Kendall said...

Laughter is very good medicine!

Pickleope Von Pickleope said...

I am going to (selfishly) take the meaning of the beginning of this post to mean that I am making the world (or the 0.0000001% of the world who read my silly blog) more wise.
You're brave to drink the unlabeled wine. Do you know the feet of the people who stomped on the grapes? Are you going to go blind? Well, I guess I have to drink the basement moonshine my coworker gave me in faith.

Pickleope Von Pickleope said...

I am going to (selfishly) take the meaning of the beginning of this post to mean that I am making the world (or the 0.0000001% of the world who read my silly blog) more wise.
You're brave to drink the unlabeled wine. Do you know the feet of the people who stomped on the grapes? Are you going to go blind? Well, I guess I have to drink the basement moonshine my coworker gave me in faith.

knitbakecultivate said...

Laughter, wine and chocolate are all top of my wellbeing list :)

Pickleope Von Pickleope said...

A comment so nice that it posted twice?

Josie Two Shoes said...

Laughter has turned the darkest situations around, and dried up tears on the saddest of days. At my father's funeral his friends giving the eulogies were telling tales on him, and all of us were chuckling, knowing that yes, this was my Dad. We so needed that on a cold Dakota winter day. How I would love some good wine and dark chocolate, but alas I am allergic to both and must sample in very small quantities! This was a fun post Linda Kay, you made me smile! :-)

Patricia said...

Laughter does make the worst of times bearable...as does a drop or more of wine.

Janie Junebug said...

I don't want any port, thank you, but I'll take the young man in the photograph. Maybe he can do a little work for me.

Love,
Janie

Sally Quendi said...

Why what a coincidence--mine just broke too!
The right kind of foolishness is balm for the soul.
http://encyclopedianetherworld.blogspot.com/2014/11/diphylla-and-liljanas-journey-coming.html

Val said...

Yes, there is wisdom in foolishness. Laughing and playing just to laugh and play. I enjoyed the photos, I love red wine and chocolate together. Did you know there is a yoga "Laughing" practice. Very beneficial for stress relief.

Michelle F said...

Funny you should mention laughter.
The Laughter Song (not sure the exact name) came on the radio when I picked our son up from school.
Try as we both did we could not keep from laughing.
As the title implies the song is just someone laughing in tune with a song.

xoxo

bettyl-NZ said...

It's interesting how such a little thing like laughing can make such a big difference.

whiteangel said...

Laughing is good for us in more ways than one. Not a fan of Port....have a good idea where that unlabeled content came from...just using my imagination.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...