Monday, December 22, 2014

Farm Christmas

I have to first say, Cherdo and Janie, that I was awake half the night trying to search the file cabinets in my brain for memorable Christmases.  I grew up on a farm in Central Illinois and I remember huge drifts of snow and lots of food.  We always had our own beef and pork, garden supplies and fruit stored away in the basement fruit room, and probably some of the best German bakers anyone could ask for in our grandparents.  Christmas was always a time of feasting.  But I do have some specific memories to share.


My older brother Dan and I were three years apart in age.  I couldn't have been more than four or five when my parents set up all of our gifts around a children's table and chairs, and we didn't even realize they were there until we had opened other ones.  We cherished that set, spending lots of hours coloring and putting together small puzzles. The set to your left is from Target....so go shopping for this for someone special.  Thanks Target.


My brother David was 10 years younger than I, so it was my job at Christmas time to get him to follow me upstairs to look out the window for Santa while my folks put presents out under the tree.  This went on for several years until he figured out what was up.  David is still on the farm in Illinois.

I have really special memories of my grandmother, my dad's mother, who was an incredible baker.  One of my favorite memories was making gingerbread men with her, decorating them with red hots and tiny silver balls.  It was magical.  She also made perfect divinity and fudge.

Anyone who has read my blog remembers pictures I have posted of my mom and my dad in their younger days.  One Christmas when I was a teenager, Mother had a picture taken and made into a portrait for my dad.  He had no idea, but when he opened it and saw what it was, he cried he was so happy.  He was such a sentimental guy, and he cherished my Mom.

At Christmas break at California Lutheran in California, I took a train back to Illinois to be with family for the holidays.  As luck would have it, the Marine marching band members who lived back east were on the train.  They actually had to return to California for the Rose Bowl parade at New Years.  We had a grand time playing cards, singing songs, and just enjoying the ride back.  I should have snagged one of those guys!  My parents and brothers and I then drove back to school in California across old Route 66 after Christmas.  It was a special time.

With marriage and three children, the memories just become a blur of activity.  My memories are of fun times, shopping with my girls, giving gifts to make my children happy.  I met my current husband just a couple of weeks after my divorce was final, and he brought joy into the lives of my children and myself.  We have many happy memories of being with extended family and friends.  

Christmas is such a special time of year, and no, it is not Happy Holidays!  It is Merry Christmas.  Christmas Eve has always been a time of singing and praise in the church for me.  Even as a little kid, I remember getting a bag of peanuts, and orange, and a candy bar after the Childrens' Christmas program.  

God bless each of my blogger friends as you celebrate in your own way during this holiday.  If you do not celebrate Christmas, then have a lovely cup of hot chocolate or a glass of wine and know that I'm thinking of all of you today.  Joining the 12/22 Blog Hop!



Linda Kay

27 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Hello Linda, you have many wonderful memories of Christmases past. I have some fond memories of helping my grandmother do some baking.. Great post! Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Terri Buster said...

Wonderful memories! I would probably be up all night if I tried to remember my childhood Christmases- I have a very poor memory> Merry Christmas!

Dixie@dcrelief said...

Merry Christmas, Linda! I enjoyed your sharing up - my Mom was one of 12 children, raised on a farm in South Carolina. Your memories sound warm/heartful, as her's always did to me.
May you and your family have a Wonderful week!

Very nice to meet you(smile).
Dixie

Saucy Kodz said...

You do have many wonderful memories of past Christmases. I remember one night Santa crept into our bedroom and kissed me on the forehead - its true, really, its true. I woke up and he talked with me and said "Lilly, go back to sleep so I can deliver the rest of my presents to Davie, Jimmy, Eric, Ronnie, Carol", etc How could anybody except Santa know all my friends?? I enjoyed your post very much.

Saucy Kodz said...

ooops, forgot to say - This might be my last communication for a bit through Christmas, as I may be off track a bit. Have a wonderful holiday and I wish you and your family the best in the New Year. Cheers

Louisette said...

wonderfull xmas memories, greeting from Belgium.
http://louisette.eklablog.com/

eViL pOp TaRt said...

I enjoyed reading your Christmas memories. May you have a great Christmas, Linda Kay!

Anvilcloud said...

I must applaud your recall. It was an interesting post to read.

Pickleope Von Pickleope said...

I'm glad I wasn't the only one struggling to focus on a single Christmas memory. But it sounds like you are flush with special memories. These were great. Happy Holidays (mwah ha ha ha! I couldn't resist. Merry Christmas.)

Cranberry Morning said...

I so enjoyed your Christmas memories! My MIL used to make the most fantastic divinity. It was always perfect. The table and chairs brought back memories of my grandpa and his building table and chairs for the little ones in the family - years ago! We too will be celebrating Christmas on Christmas Eve at church amongst 'family.' Have a blessed Christmas, Linda! P.S. I love it that your brother is still on the farm.

DeniseinVA said...

I enjoyed your memories of your family Linda Kay. Thank you so much for sharing them and Merry Christmas!

TexWisGirl said...

my older siblings gave my mom and dad a card table set one year with 4 folding chairs. we set it up and fixed SO many picture puzzles on it during cold wisconsin winters. and it was always used for family gatherings, too. thanks for the memory. :)

Marie said...

Wonderful post! I loved reading your childhood Christmas memories! I have lots of great childhood memories of Christmas as well. God bless you and yours!

Cherdo said...

Linda, sweet Linda: wonderful posts!

Loved hearing your memories and by the sound of it, we are quite similar...except for the fact that I'm a little twisted in the humor department.

Merry Christmas and God bless!

William Kendall said...

Merry Christmas to you!

Wandering Wren said...

I love your Christ,as memories Linda, when you move as often as we have I'm not sure we've created the traditions as there is no such thing as a typical Christmas for us... Certainly getting the snowman decorations out is a tad pointless for us, unless we turn the air con up really high!!
Have a happy one!
Wren x

Michelle F said...

Linda Kay,

I enjoyed stopping by and re-living Christmas with you. I am so glad you mentioned `Merry Christmas`!

Merry Christmas to you & yours! xoxo

Gosia k said...

Linda you have had nice memories of the past and it is so nice. Greetings from Europe Merry Christmas. Gosia

Betsy Adams said...

Hello, Hope you are having a wonderful December and will have a blessed Christmas… This is such a joyful time of year for so many—but it’s also the time when others experience a deep loneliness, and struggle during the holidays for many reasons. SO—today I ask you to stop what you are doing for a few minutes and say a prayer for someone you know who might be experiencing a hard time now… OR—better still, send them a card or give them a call. It will mean the world to them.

What wonderful memories you have... Isn't memories of Christmas pasts just so special? Love them.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.
Hugs,
Betsy

Mike said...

I haven't taken a train anywhere in quite awhile.

Michael D'Agostino said...

I agree, it should definitely be Merry Christmas :P Nice to meet you!

Amy at love made my home said...

Such lovely memories. Thank you for sharing them with us. Happy Christmas! xx

Janie Junebug said...

You have so many happy memories. Thanks for hopping with us.

Love,
Janie

John's Island said...

Hi Linda Kay, Neat memories. Thanks for the holiday wishes and same back to you and yours. Thanks for sharing your blog and commenting on mine. John

Kinley Dane said...

Sorry I'm a day late! But what a nice, warm, fuzzy trip down memory lane :) Even though I grew up in the suburbs, some of the memories resonated with me. Especially going to church on Christmas eve. My favorite service of the entire year!

Mascha said...

Oh, you have so pretty lovely memories (sorry, I came only now to visit your posts over this week, last days was to worryfull)
Have a few great and quiet days :-)

Here in Germany we (Christians) decorate the tree onlyin the morning of december 24 and it stand in our home up to 6 of january traditional - when your family is German, how you use that?

Rory Bore said...

My best Christmas memories are definitely ones spent at my grandparents farm. We didn't exchange presents - except for a small host gift for my grandparents, and they always gave all the grandchildren a $20 bill. But it was mostly about being together, enjoying the outdoors ...and yes! Feasting!
Hope you had a very MERRY CHRISTMAS!! ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...