Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Judy's New Life #4

Judy's New Life, Episode #4

When Judy arrived at Trevor Dean’s office on the 4th floor of the building, there was mayhem at the front desk.  Two women were struggling to solve some sort of problem on the computer, totally engrossed in their own frustrations.

“But how am I going to get the payroll done, if this connection keeps going down.  And I don’t have the latest release from QuickBooks installed as yet.  I keep getting error messages!”  The woman standing over the receptionist was almost in tears.

Judy cleared her throat to get their attention.

“Are you the applicant for the accounting position?  We are so glad you are here.  Why don’t you come back to the office with me to help me get out of this mess I’ve gotten myself into?”

“I’m sorry, you must have me confused with someone.  My name is Judy Adams, and I have an appointment with Trevor Jacobs at four. I do know a lot about QuickBooks, however.”

“Please excuse the chaos, Judy,” the receptionist apologized.  I do have you here on my schedule for a four o’clock appointment.  Trevor is running just a little late, so please have a seat.”

“So could you help me out and take a look at the error message I’m getting?” The accounting clerk was desparate.

Judy looked at the message and determined a quick fix for the issue, allowing the clerk to go back to her desk to get her payroll completed.  She was very appreciative and suggested that Trevor should give her the job as well.

“Well, that was a pretty unusual reception at the attorney’s office.”  Another client was seated on one of the leather chairs where Judy was directed.

“It was not what I expected, for sure.”  Judy sat down across from him.

“My name is John Largeant, Judy.  I hope you have a positive reason to be here today.”

Judy smiled in response.  She noticed that he had dark hair and very brown eyes, was neatly dressed, but casual.  Hopefully, he was not here ahead of her to see Trevor; maybe another attorney in the office.

About that time, Trevor Dean appeared at the door to his office. 

“Judy, would you like to join me?”  He extended his hand to greet her and directed her to his office.

The room was spacious and well defined as a professional office.  The oak desk was large with a variety of papers scattered in piles across the top.  A window framed with heavy drapes looked out onto the city.  Paintings along the wall reflected an interest in hunting and wide open spaces.

“Judy, let’s get started.  I’ll be taking some notes, so please tell me what has happened to bring you here to my office.”

Judy told him of the events from the previous day, including the fact that she had put Duane’s clothes outside on the porch for him to pick up. She spared no expression of the anger she was feeling.

“Are you wanting to file for divorce, Judy?  And if so, what do you think he is expecting?”

Judy assured him that she wanted out of the marriage and gave him the name of the attorney Duane had given her.”

“Then I gather he is expecting you to file.  First of all, you might want to bring those clothes back into the house, as Duane can get into the house at any time until we get this all resolved.  Our best plan is to keep calm and go for whatever we need to protect you and the children in the future.  What is your position for income?”

“I’m not working at all, so I need a job as quick as I can get one.”

“I hear you know QuickBooks, and we are in dire need of an accounting person right now.  We have someone coming in this afternoon to interview for the position, but you are welcome to fill out an application as well.  We might just be able to help each other out.  In the meantime, I’ll get this paperwork going.  The information you have brought me will be helpful. I’ll expect the retainer to be paid before we go to court.”

After going over some additional details about property rights and custody, Judy left Trevor’s office, noticing that Mr. John Largeant had evidently gone to one of the offices. She filled out an application with the receptionist and left to go back to the house to bring Duane’s boxes inside.  Pouring herself a glass of Riesling, she lit a candle on the edge of the tub, and relaxed in a hot, soaking bath. She let her mind wander to plan for her future without Duane.

Will she get the job?
What about John Largeant?
Will Duane be receptive to her filing?

Is Trevor a good Attorney?  

Linking today with Josie2Shoes for Two Shoes Tuesday and the words "calm" and "candle".
Two Shoes Tuesdsay
Have a great Tuesday
Linda Kay

21 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Sounds like Judy's new lifer will be an interesting one! Thanks for sharing, enjoy your day!

whiteangel said...

Another good read.

Val said...

I'm sure she'll get the job. And maybe a relationship with the brown=eyed stranger? I love your writing, Linda Kay.

Bethany Carson said...

Thoroughly enjoyed reading! Yes, I think she will get the job. Duane will probably be happy she filed, but upset that she chose her own attorney instead of the one whose name he gave her. I think Trevor will be a good attorney.

John's Island said...

I'm hooked ... when's the next installment? Surely she will get the job!

Cranberry Morning said...

Yes, she has to get the job. It will make readers happy.:)

DeniseinVA said...

I enjoy your stories Linda Kay. You write very well.

TexWisGirl said...

i would hate to go to work for someone who was representing me in a divorce. eek!

Lisa @ The Meaning of Me said...

Working for her divorce attorney? Awkward, no? But getting that job would open up much possibility for her in perhaps many different ways!

William Kendall said...

Trevor at least sounds competent.

Amy at love made my home said...

Well, I definitely didn't expect that as the next instalment! You are keeping us on our toes! xx

Mike said...

Trevor is a good Attorney with his 'don't go nuts' advice.

Josie Two Shoes said...

This is developing into a really good story, Linda Kay! It is believable, and you have provided several interesting possibilities of where the plot might take Judy and her life. I thought her attorney did a good job in telling her to stay calm. This approach works so much better in stressful, and especially hostile situations. I liked that added interest of the attractive man in the reception area. One never knows what life night bring! Thank you for continuing this tale at Two Shoes Tuesday, I truly enjoy it!

Janie Junebug said...

I hope Trevor is a good lawyer. He should have talked to Judy about maintenance and child support and definitely should have asked how much money Duane earns. The Hurricane dated a British exchange student named Edmund when she was in prep school. My nephew said that Edmund was the English name for Duane. I thought that was hilarious.

Love,
Janie

Gosia k said...

Great story I am waiting for more..

Far Side of Fifty said...

Why would an attorneys office need two payroll clerks or accountants? Does he have that large of a practice? Seems strange to me that they would use quick books and not some sophisticated accounting program:)

oldegg said...

I wish all the interviews I had in my life were so positive! She has certainly done herself no harm here. I am pleased she has been advised to get her husband's clothes back inside! Looking forward to next week.

The Yum List said...

Yes! She'll get the job.

Rory Bore said...

Oh yes! I do hope she gets the job! that would go a long way towards calming her mind I bet.

I am going to take her advice and do the hot soak with candles and grape juice to calm myself today :)

McGuffy Ann Morris said...

You have quite an interesting story going here! I join the others in anticipation as to the next installment!

Anita said...

Being the optimist that I am, I am sure she'll get the job :)
Nicely expressed :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...