Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Judy's New Life #7

Judy's New Life #7

Judy and Duane drew a breath as they anticipated what Dr. Dolan had to say. Duane put his arm around Judy’s shoulders protectively.

“I have good news for you. Carl is going to be fine. We removed his spleen, but all the other organs seem to be working well. He is bruised and had a broken arm, which has been set. He’ll need some tender, loving care for a while, but he’ll recover completely. I’ll release him in a couple of days to your care.” He smiled and shook their hands. “The nurses will let you know when you can see him.”

Duane embraced Judy as the tears flowed from her eyes, and she let him hold her.

“Judy, we’ll work through this together. Just tell me what I need to do to help out with Carl, and I’ll be there for you and for him.”

Judy backed away from Duane, and sat down in a chair. She took a tissue form her purse to dab her eyes and tried to regain some composure. Duane sat next to her.

“Can I get you something to eat?” he asked.

“I’m so exhausted, and I haven’t even thought about food. But I could go for a sandwich, maybe a chicken salad?”

“You stay here and wait for news about Carl, and I’ll be back in a few minutes.” Duane left to walk to the cafeteria.

Judy watched him walk away. She really did love him, and she could see that he was very emotional at the moment. On the way to the hospital they had reminisced about memories of Carl growing up. They had even managed to laugh a couple of times at some of his antics. There had been no mention of Sally or the divorce, and there had been long moments of silence between them during the hour of driving. Judy just wanted to sleep at the moment, eager to hear more about Carl, and avoiding any thoughts of Duane and the scene with Sally. Her heart was torn, and it appeared that Duane’s involvement with Sally was at an end. What did that mean?

Just as Duane was walking toward her with a sandwich and cup of coffee in his hands, a nurse came out to tell them they could go in to see Carl. Together they followed the nurse to Carl’s room where they found him sleeping peacefully among all the machines monitoring his vital signs.

“Carl, can you hear me?” Judy asked as she leaned toward him and kissed him on the cheek.

“Mom, Dad?” He slowly opened his eyes. “You are both here?”

“Yes we are, son. We’ve been waiting to see you. They tell us you are going to be okay.” Duane sat down in a chair by his bed to lean toward him, grasping his hand.

“The accident was horrible, so many people hurt. And it happened so quickly!” Carl had tears in his eyes.

“Everything is going to be okay,” said Judy. “You just rest now.” She watched him close his eyes to drift back off to sleep.

“Judy, why don’t you stay here with Carl, and I’ll go back. I’ll tie up some loose ends at the office. Is there anything I can get for you from the house?”

“Duane, why don’t you stay at the house with the kids tonight and come back tomorrow. If you can bring me a change of clothes and my makeup, that would be great. The girls can help you get a bag together. I’ll just plan to stay here with Carl until he’s released. I’ll call you if there is any change.”

Duane smiled and took her hand in his.

“I’ll be back in the morning. You try to get some rest.”
..............................................................................................................................................
Where do you see this going?
Will Judy be ready to take Duane back?
The story will end next Tuesday.

Two Shoes Tuesdsay
Joining in with Two Shoes Tuesday with words end and eager.  Thanks for hosting, Josie!

Linda Kay

23 comments:

Big Sky Heidi said...

I'm into it. I like how you are developing the plot.

Gosia k said...

Definitely it is becoming more and more interesting

eileeninmd said...

Maybe Judy will take Duane back! Interesting plot and story. Thanks for sharing..I wish you all the best in 2015, a happy & Healthy New Year!

Bethany Carson said...

Glad to hear Carl is going to be ok. Sorry to hear the story is ending next week, but I am looking forward to the next part!

Cherdo said...

I'm thinking Duane is going to be back in the fold!

eViL pOp TaRt said...

I'm glad that Carl will be better, and hope that Duane and Judy will sort things out.

John's Island said...

Hi Linda Kay, This is all pretty enthralling! I hope it doesn't end next week. Looks like Duane and Judy are getting back together. John PS Thanks for info on photolythography. Way over my head too! :-)

Abelle | The Wows! And Oops! Of Life said...

I'm not going to guess. I'll be back next week ;o)

Mike said...

I think the author is going to surprise us.

DeniseinVA said...

Can't wait for the next installment :)

TexWisGirl said...

this near tragedy will bring them back to try one more time.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Nope she will kick him to the curb...once a cheater always a cheater and she won't be able to live with that. They will be friends but still get a divorce. :)

carol l mckenna said...

Creative story and one many can relate to ~ keep it going !

Happy New Year to you,
artmusedog and carol

HOOTIN ANNI said...

WONDERFUL POST!! My goodness, my interest has been piqued.
I wanted to stop by today to send along my best wishes for you and your family in the year 2015. Happy New Year, and cheers.

Val said...

Such a good story. And I love happy endings, hint, hint. There is nothing like a catastrophe to bring people together. I can't wait to read more.

William Kendall said...

Nicely done!

Janie Junebug said...

I missed something. I have to go back.

Love,
Janie

Janie Junebug said...

Okay. I missed last week. I caught up. That Sally is nasty. Should Judy take back Duane? I don't know. I'm happier divorced.

Love,
Janie

The Yum List said...

Glad that Carl is okay!

Josie Two Shoes said...

I want this to mean that there is still a depth to their feelings for each other that can overcome what they've just gone through, but I also know that this is a highly emotional moment and things may cool off in the clear light of day. Loving someone and living with them is not always the same. Sometimes healing can happen though, and I hope it does! I love the depth you've given to the characters and this story!

Rory Bore said...

a good harsh dose of reality to bring them back together possibly? Hopefully this will be one of those tales where restoration is possible?
intrigued.

whiteangel said...

Will just have to wait and read next Tuesday!

Happy New Year.

Amy at love made my home said...

I hope it has a good ending! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...