Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Judy's New Life

Judy's New Life #6

Sunday had been a quiet day of attending church, doing housework until it sparkled, and catching up with emails from friends.  She had lunch with Kathy, who was always eager to hear how things were going with the divorce.  Judy enjoyed the time with Kathy, but was guarded about personal information. 

She returned to work on Monday morning.  End of the month reports were due in a few days, giving her the opportunity to redesign the spreadsheets produced by the software. These would make more sense to the partners and would provide numbers with which to do some planning for the next month.  

At about three o’clock her cell phone vibrated, and Judy happened to be within earshot of the noise.  She glanced at the number, but didn’t recognize it.  Something made her pick it up to answer the call.

“Hello?”

“Is this Judy Adams?” The caller seemed formal.

“Yes, I’m Judy Adams.  May I ask who is calling?”

“This is Officer George Lindt.  I’m calling from Memorial Hospital in Hightown.  There has been an accident, Mrs. Adams.  Your son Carl has been hurt and brought here to the hospital.  I don’t have a report for you at the moment on his condition, but he was taken to the ER.  The bus was run off the road by a car traveling in the wrong direction on the highway.  Are you able to get to the hospital now?”

“I’ll be there as quickly as I can.  It will just take a few minutes to close down everything at work, and I’ll be on my way.  I’m guessing it will take an hour to drive there.”  Judy was already closing down her computer as she talked.  “Can you tell me if he is okay?”

“I really don’t know his condition, ma’am, just know that he was taken into the ER from the ambulance.” The officer was apologetic. “I’ll wait for you here at the hospital.”

Judy hung up the phone and instinctively called Duane.

“Duane, I just got a call from a police officer.  The school bus Carl was riding in was in an accident, and he has been taken to a hospital in Hightown. I wanted you to know.” Just hearing Duane’s voice brought tears to her eyes.

“Judy, I’ll be by the office to pick you up in ten minutes.  I’ll drive you there myself.  What do you know about the accident and Carl’s condition?”

Judy stuffed papers in drawers of her desk, pushed her chair in, and grabbed her purse.

“Okay, I’ll meet you downstairs in front of the office.  Duane, thanks for coming for me.”

By this time tears were streaming down her cheeks.  She took the elevator to the first floor and as promised, Duane pulled up in front of the building. 

Duane dropped her off at the emergency entrance an hour later while he parked the car.  Judy stopped by the nurses’ station and was directed to a waiting room.  Duane joined her there.  A few moments later a nurse came into the waiting room to talk to them.

“Mr. and Mrs. Adams, Carl has been seriously injured in the accident.  He has been taken into surgery.  I have some forms here I need for you to sign.  There is some internal bleeding, and he took a pretty good bump to his head.  None of the kids were belted into their seats, so they were tossed around a bit.  He also has a broken arm. I’ll be back in to keep you posted on his condition.”

Duane took Judy’s hand.

“I know it will be all right, Judy.  He’s a tough kid.”  Duane tried to comfort her as she leaned into his shoulder. 

“Well, that’s a cozy scene. Duane, is everything going to be okay?”  Both Judy and Duane turned to see Sally, Duane’s assistant walking toward them.  Judy turned to Duane.

“What the hell is she doing here? You called her when you were on your way to pick me up?” She rose from her chair to face Sally.  “Get out of here!  What right do you have to barge in here at the hospital?” Judy’s face was red with anger and humiliation.

“I just wanted to be here for Duane!” Sally backed away from Judy.

“Sally, this probably was not a wise thing to do.  Go back home, and I’ll let you know how Carl is doing, okay?”  Duane took her by the elbow and ushered her back to the entrance door, leaving Judy seething with anger, her fists clenched.

“Why do I have to leave?” Sally was shouting at Duane.

“We are his parents, and this is a private time for us.  Please leave quietly, Sally.” Sally jerked her arm away from Duane’s grasp.

“This is the last straw, Duane. Just go on back to your little wifey. By the way don’t look for me at the office; I quit!”

Duane watched her walk out the door, dropped his arms and turned his palms up in response to her comment. 

“Judy, I’m really sorry.  This has all been brewing. That was very poor judgment on her part.”

Judy crossed her arms in front of her and turned away from him, trying to calm herself.  She had to concentrate on Carl and pray for his surgery to be successful.  She couldn’t let Sally get to her. Not now.

An hour passed.  Duane and Judy sat several seats away from each other, looking at magazines.  A nurse came by twice to give them an update on the procedures.  Finally a doctor came into the waiting room, discarding his mask as he walked toward them. 

“Mr. and Mrs. Adams, I’m Dr. Dolan.”
*** 
How is Carl?

What happens next with Duane?

Two Shoes Tuesday word of the day - "sparkle".  Thanks, Josie!

Linda Kay

21 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

I hope Carl went through okay.

whiteangel said...

I enjoy reading the story. It's not too long and waiting for the next bit...

Merry Christmas..

Bethany Carson said...

That was certainly an unexpected turn! I hope Carl will be ok.

The Armchair Squid said...

I hope Carl's okay.

Merry Christmas, Linda!

Big Sky Heidi said...

I'm really into the story. I hope Carl is okay, and she gets back with Duane.

John's Island said...

Another cliff-hanger. Wow. See you next week.

TexWisGirl said...

his car gets keyed by sally in the parking lot. :)

Far Side of Fifty said...

Carl will have a brain injury and need constant care...Sally will be trained as a nurse and return into their lives....by that time Duane will have a whole string of girlfriends:)

Lin Floyd said...

exciting...

Mike said...

Is it Tuesday again already?!

Gosia k said...

I enjoy reading your story and I can














































Lovely story and I am waiting for the next part.

Marry Christmas for you and your family, Gosia








'

The Yum List said...

Oh dear, trying moments all mixed in together. Of course the other woman had to show up!

eileeninmd said...

I have been enjoying your story. Thanks for sharing... Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Amy at love made my home said...

You are keeping us all on our toes! Happy Christmas! xx

Abelle | The Wows! And Oops! Of Life said...

I was out that long? I was not able to follow your stories. I just learned from the comments. Haaayy! This one got me to the edge of my seat. A 'telenovela' that keeps you hanging! ;o)

Josie Two Shoes said...

Great chapter! I was pleased that Judy and Duane pulled together in a crisis, they will be sharing children forever. Duane's assistant chose a very poor time to make an appearance, and then tried to make it about their relationship. He would be wise to ditch her, but probably will make up with her once the current situation is resolved.

Linda said...

I hope Carl will be alright.

Anita said...

Sad that Carl had to meet with an accident.
Hope the doc says that operation is successful & that he's out of danger.
Hope Duane gets back with his family & all is well!
Merry XMas, Linda :)

Val said...

How could you Linda Kay, leave us hanging. lol A great turn of events. Tragedies sometimes happen to have a changing effect on relationships, bringing estranged people together. It is happening to one of my friends right now for another reason. Wow, I love this story and I can't wait to read more. Merry Christmas!

Val said...

pS Carl WILL be okay.

William Kendall said...

Quite a place to leave things off at!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...