Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Wednesday at Random

Here we go with Hodge Podge Wednesday with Joyce.... Thanks for hosting!

1. What is one new holiday tradition you'd like to establish, or one you've established recently, say in the last year or two?

I'm really fortunate to have my two daughters within an hour drive from us, and now my son and family will be moving to San Antonio area next spring. For the first time in many years, we might be able to reestablish a tradition for Christmas, rather than just grabbing a few hours together.  I'd love to cook a big traditional dinner.

2. It's the second week of December. Have you sipped a cup of eggnog yet this month? Wrapped a gift? Opened a gift? Kissed someone under the mistletoe? Lit a candle? Eaten a Christmas cookie? Seen Santa in person? Watched a Christmas movie or special? Read scripture relating to the birth of Jesus?

Let's see...don't like eggnog.  Have wrapped gifts galore, but love the bags and the tissue.  Makes life a little simpler.  We had candles by the fireplace for our guests on Sunday evening, as a fire in the fireplace would be too hot in Texas.  Had Christmas cookies on Monday with our compound subdivision ladies for coffee. Santa was a highlight of the parade on Friday night.  We watched "It's a wonderful life" on Sunday. Had the privilege of watching Max Lucado for his Christmas message telecast at Oak Hills Church.  And of course the Advent Calendars.

3. Do you think it's better to be an adult or a child at Christmastime? Explain.

I really enjoy being an adult at Christmas, as I get more fun out of giving than receiving.  We get to provide for others who have much less than we, as well as to find some treasure for a special family member.  I shop throughout the year.

4. It's often said, 'Good things come to those who wait'...agree or disagree? Why?

We are in such a hurry in life now, expecting instant gratification.  I get so frustrated when my computer is slow.  But in the scope of things, it is better to wait.  If we pray for something we think we need, then wait for direction, we might find that there is a whole different answer out there for us.  And usually a better one.  What do we know, anyway?

5. What's the last sweet thing you baked? Did you keep it, take it to a party/event, or give it away?

I have a cute little bundt pan.  I baked a chocolate cake in it for Sunday dinner.  Then I drizzled icing and chocolate shell over it with some raspberries to top it off.  We ate it!

6.  This question comes to us courtesy of Jhona who blogs over at The Red House at the End of the Lane. Everyone hop over and say hi to Jhona this week!  Here is her question... "I heard an actor talk about how he makes a conscious choice to talk to people in elevators.  He chooses to connect, make eye contact, and converse. Do you talk to people/strangers when you're in an elevator or any other place where you might have to wait together? Why or why not?"

First of all, you have to kind of tread lightly, as some people really don't want to talk to strangers, but I do!  I love to find out the variety of jobs, interests, and loves of people.  I find it fascinating and educational.  Don't want to talk about me so much, but sure want to hear about them.

7. Are you on the naughty or nice list this year? What put you there?

I'm NICE, of course!  My blog is up and running, I have a book published to share with the world, and a second one on the way.  I volunteer at a special organization, and we are building a tree house for our grandson.  Several years ago we established education accounts for our grandchildren and they are being used on.  What happened?  The grew up!

8. Insert your own random thought here.

As I think back on Christmas memories, I treasure so much my sweet hubby who has made my last almost 30 years so enjoyable.  We love to shop for Christmas for family.  I remember the first Christmas we knew each other, he sent me the biggest, most beautiful poinsettia I had ever seen to have in my office.  After some rough times, this was a treasure I'll never forget.  Although flowers don't last all that long, they sure are fun to receive, right ladies?

Have a wonderful Wednesday.

Linda Kay

26 comments:

HOOTIN ANNI said...

speaking of poinsettias...I LOVE the huge poinsettia tree at the Alamo...have you ever seen it?

Love that memory tho. priceless

And your answer to #3 melts my heart to read.

eileeninmd said...

Great questions and answers. I have eaten a few Christmas cookies and I love the Christmas movies.. I always try to be nice.. Fun post, enjoy your day!

Saucy Kodz said...

Lovely Post Linda. I LOVE CHRISTMAS BUT GEE, I JUST LOVE EVERY DAY. I love the warmth and love that comes with Christmas. People seem to show more of it. I love being an adult, although some might say I have never lost the child within. I enjoy giving also and love to decorate and partake in eating all those yummy treats. Happiness Honey, to you and yours!

Farin Vazquez said...

I've had so many interactions in elevators, that they I was bound to have too many horrible (scary/awkward/uncomfortable) conversations. So, I tend to avoid them. But, that probably a city thing :)

whiteangel said...

That will be wonderful if you get that chance to have your family around at Christmas for the first time in a long time...takes some doing sometimes.

Tabor said...

Nice trip down the Christmas Lane.

Joyce said...

I know some people think fresh flowers are a waste of money, but I am not one of them. I love them! They brighten my day when given unexpectedly, and I just love having fresh flowers in my home. Nice to see you in the HP : )

Bethany Carson said...

The chocolate cake sounds delicious! Glad you could spend time with your family!

April said...

Love poinsettias! What a neat memory you shared! A chocolate bundt cake...you're talking my language! :)

TexWisGirl said...

the bundt cake sounds yummy!

Michelle F said...

What a blessing to have your family close by. After so long. I can imagine everyone gathered around the table for the traditional Christmas dinner.

Merry Christmas!!

xoxo

Lin Floyd said...

I'm finally getting my Christmas decorations out but have taken/delivered some christmas presents and need to mail others...on to the HOLY DAYS...

Cranberry Morning said...

I feel like you do in the talking to strangers issue. Hope you have a wonderful week!

The Armchair Squid said...

I think I also enjoy Xmas more as an adult. My daughter adores the holiday season and it's fun to watch. The day itself, for me, was a bit of a let down as a kid. After the presents are opened, lots of sitting around - boring. Now, I love the sitting around!

Mike said...

#2 - no no no no no no no no no. Christmas is still two weeks away!

William Kendall said...

We have that in common... I don't see the point to eggnog!

Nonnie said...

Gee, not sure where to start, but I liked all your answers. You really have the Christmas spirit going there with all you've already done.
Love the poinsettia pic and the story about your husband doing that for you. The plant may die, but hubby is still around.
Being an adult and able to give is a true blessing of being grown-up at Christmas.

Brenda said...

What a joy to have family close by. I guess I'm old-fashioned with the wrapping paper and boxes!
Congratulations on your books being published.

Amy at love made my home said...

So lovely to read your thoughts and memories. xx

The Yum List said...

Question number 5 - whenever I bake something sweet I try to have guests around otherwise I end up eating the whole thing to myself. I have a terrible sweet tooth. :-)

orchid Miyako said...

Dearest Linda; I prefer to be a child at Christmastime. I confess not knowing much about Santa and St. Nicholas etc. But waiting a present and eating cakes with family was REALLY a fun time(*^_^*)
I wish I could blessed with a child to give the wonderful time ;-)

Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend in America, xoxo Miyako*

Betsy Adams said...

Hi There, Enjoyed reading your thoughts about Christmas. You are fortunate to have your family fairly close by ---and even more-so soon....Our families are scattered all over the place--so it's very hard to get us all together.

"It's a Wonderful Life" is my favorite old Christmas movie... Love it.

Your Sunday dinner cake sounds marvelous. Made me hungry!!!! Did you save a piece for me????? ha

Merry Christmas.
Hugs,
Betsy

Anvilcloud said...

This is a fun type of post.

John's Island said...

Hi Linda Kay, What a nice post. Enjoyed reading your randoms! Thanks for sharing. John

Patricia said...

I love all the traditions of Christmas: singing the carols, decorate the house, purchasing the perfect gifts, family and friends coming around.
And I love receiving Christmas cards, Linda, and yours arrived yesterday! Thank you so much, a thrill to have a card from Texas.

Jhona Oberholtzer said...

I enjoyed visiting your hodgepodge! Flowers really are a special gift. I think poinsettias are beautiful! My favorite flowers to receive from my husband are "grocery store flowers". I love when he just brings a bunch home. It's a nice surprise and the colors are pleasing to me! Your Christmas season sounds delightful. Merry Christmas!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...