Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Wednesday Fill Ins

Linking in today with Hodge Podge Wednesday.  Thanks for hosting!

1. Time magazine has selected The Ebola Fighters as their person of the year for 2014. Do you agree, and if so who would you say is a close second? If you disagree with their choice, who do you think should have been chosen? 

The Ebola fighters deserve some recognition, for sure, but I'm not sure it should be a 'person of the year'.  This is a group, and there are so many in a group situation who could be recognized, like the military folks who continue to make sacrifices.  I don't have a real option in mind.

2. This question comes to you courtesy of Susan who blogs over at Stew Mama Says. She knows we have a wedding happening any minute now, and she asks, 'What's your favorite-something old? something new? something borrowed? something blue in your home?  Be sure you hop over and say hi to Susan today! 

Something old... I have a watch that belonged to my mother's grandmother that hangs on a chain.  It is finished in tri-color gold and still runs after all these years.

Something new.... My new Samsung Galaxy 4 tablet.  I'm having lots of fun with it.  Amazing technology.

Something borrowed... Don't think I've borrowed anything lately.

Something blue... My mother passed down to me six floe blue plates that stand in my china cabinet.

3. Fudge-yay or nay? Your favorite flavor? Do you make it yourself? With nuts or without?  

I don't make fudge, but love the chocolate with walnuts.  Can't keep it in the house!

4. December 17th is Wright Brothers Day, commemorating the first successful flights made by Orville and Wilbur Wright in 1903 in Kitty Hawk, North Carolina.  How old were you when you made your first flight? Do you like to fly? Have you ever been to Kitty Hawk or other parts of the North Carolina Outer Banks? 

I was 19 when I flew on a little charter plane from Los Angeles to Lake Havasu, AZ to see property that was coming up for sale there.  I love to fly, but it's not nearly as much fun as it used to be.  My first commercial flight was 40 on my honeymoon with hubby to Hawaii.  We have since flown to Europe several times.  Some of the best fun flying was when I worked for a large Midwestern Bank and flew between St. Louis and Kansas City in a nine-passenger jet.  Filled my need for speed!

5. Do the people in your family tend to follow a particular career path, and if so what's the path?

In the past, there have been lots of farmers in my family, but my younger brother is the only one left in that career.  Among my siblings, I'm a CPA, my older brother is a Lutheran minister, my middle brother was a super sales person, and the younger one is a farmer.  My older daughter is a nurse practitioner, my son is in HVAC maintenance, and my younger daughter is in sales.  How's that for diversity?

6. What is one thing you absolutely, positively must accomplish today?

I'm on my way to volunteer at the Hill Country Needs Council today, where I will get to help out a person who has found it impossible to move forward without a little help.

7. This Christmas I hope_my children and grandchildren will have safe travels from Illinois to Texas.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

As I read through all the posts each morning from all my blogger friends, I'm all set for the day.  I've traveled throughout the world, seen wonderful sights, and enjoyed the thoughts, prayers, songs, and pictures of so many others.  God bless us every one (to quote Tiny Tim).

Have a wonderful Wednesday
Linda Kay

23 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

I'm looking forward to going home for Christmas.

I've been to the Outer Banks several times.

I think I was about five when I first flew.

Bethany Carson said...

It is hard to keep fudge in the house, isn't it? Chocolate with walnuts is a good choice.

It does sound like your family is full of people with interesting and diverse professions.

Anvilcloud said...

I think the Ebola Fighters recognition is fantastic.

Farin Vazquez said...

I remember conversations when I was small, about milk prices, mega farms and making ends meet. It definitely shaped my view on that career, watching my father try so hard. Safe Travels for your family!

April said...

I had quite a bit of farmers in my family, too, but most have passed on. Some of the hardest working people on earth.

Susan said...

Thanks for stopping by! I used the Tiny Tim quote in one of my comments today. We're thinking alike! Wishing you and your family a safe and blessed Christmas!

TexWisGirl said...

i hope your family has safe travels, too.

and must have fudge with nuts or it is too rich for me. :)

Michelle F said...

Linda Kay,

I had to laugh about the need to speed. That is one reason I love to fly, other than just the challenge of being mid-air. I'm not sure if I would like to fly in a huge passenger plane. I like to be where all the action is. Sorta like watching the difference between a game where the lead is 50 - 0 and one where it's 50 - 50 down to the last second. The thrill of it all! I also tend to have a heavy foot while driving a vehicle. I have noticed a lot more police presence, than years gone by, so I am trying to follow the speed limits.

Thank you for recognizing the military. I will tell those I see that you did so.

Merry Christmas!!

xoxo

John's Island said...

Hi Linda Kay, Interesting post. I now know you are a CPA! That's cool. As a high school teacher I taught accounting for several years. I know at least 2 of my students who loved accounting so much that they went on to become CPAs. I enjoyed teaching accounting at the high school level. John

Gosia k said...

nice post and interesting one . Especially about your family carreer path

Rory Bore said...

My favourite old is a teacup from my late grandma. she used to sit and have afternoon tea and watch Young and the Restless - that was her daily break from farm chores. and she always let me have some tea too. (to be clear, I usually coloured or played with toys - I wasn't watching Y&R as a child! ha)

Most of my family are farmers. But the younger generation is very diverse. Since there are about 30 cousins: I think we cover almost every occupation!

Theresa said...

I don't like to fly, but really would dislike flying in a nine passenger plane! You are brave ;) I enjoyed reading your hodgepodge. Merry Christmas!

Amy at love made my home said...

Interesting questions and interesting to read your answers as well! xx

Nikki Scatchard said...

I can agree flying isn't as enjoyable as before. Airports and the waiting are stressful enough. The flying part is ok as long as someone doesn't keep elbowing me etc. ;) Happy Holidays to you!

Janie Junebug said...

I like your answers. They're interesting. We have some careers or interests that seem to run in our family. The Hurricane is a mathematician. The older of my two nieces teaches math. My nephew who has a PhD in philosophy minored in math. We have more than one writer, too. I enjoy seeing these interests we have in common even though we don't know each other well.

Love,
Janie

The Yum List said...

I love that last question: Insert a random thought here. I might borrow that one for interviews!

Mike said...

6. Can you come to my house?

William Kendall said...

I tried something the other day here from a chocolatier... white chocolate fudge with cranberries. It was to die for.

retired not tired said...

Have a healthy merry Christmas.

Nonnie said...

My first flight was also at age 19 on a private 6 seater prop jet from Tulsa to Orlando. I was so excited and completely in the dark as to the fact that one of the generators had gone out. I will never forget the thrill of flying the first time. We've also traveled to some far away places and I'm very content to stay home now.
Dark chocolate fudge with lots of nuts. My husband says you can never add too many nuts.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I hope your family has good weather and safe travels:)

orchid Miyako said...

Dearest Linda; Thank you SO much for the information about "Wright Brothers Day”♪ I think not many Japanese know about it, my friend.
In my city, new air port opened in my thirty's and there were flights to Okinawa and Hokkaido then (only to Tokyo now). My friend asked me to go to Okinawa and 2 years later to Hokkaido. Oh, I was SO fascinated to see the sky from the window for the first time and enjoyed the short flight very much♡♡♡
Interesting to know the diversity of carrier in your family. Well, my late father worked as a lathe worker and my husband bank clerk, both of them never changed carrier :-) I think my husband's choice was right one as he has handicap with his legs.
Haha, so sorry for my long comment.

Sending Lots of Love and Hugs from Japan to my Dear friend in America, xoxo Miyako*

Joyce said...

We do a lot of regional jets, so small planes. Not my favorite : ) Now a private jet would be nice I think! Have a very merry Christmas!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...