Friday, January 2, 2015

Hurry Sickness

As we enter a new year and start looking at the future, it's probably a good idea to look at how we face life.  Listening to a sermon on Sunday, I was directed to do a bit more research on a phenomenon called "Hurry Sickness", originally attributed to Dr. Meyer Friedman, who also came up with the definition of a Type A personality.  Many of the references I found refer to a faith-based solution, but there are also some very practical tips to overcoming Hurry Sickness.  I'm taking this information from Tom Stuart.org. - "5 Antidotes for Hurry Sickness."


1.  Practice solitude!  - This is a tough one for me, as I get so much energy from being with people.

2.  Sit down! - Another challenge for many of us who are multi-taskers, always just one more thing to accomplish within a 24 hour period of time.

3.  Take a nap! - For me just 20 minutes really helps to rejuvenate my energy level.

4.  Take a road trip! - What? And leave my computer behind?

5.  Set your own agenda! - Now there's a great idea.  In the sermon last Sunday there was reference to saying "no" to all those who want to set your agenda for you.

If you would like to see Tom's Bible references in support of each of these ideas, please click on the link.  But take a few moments in this new year to reflect on these ideas.  I don't think we need a 'New Year's Resolution' to put these into place, but I did see many blogs at the end of the year discussing those "way too busy" times in our lives.  What do you do to get over Hurry Sickness?  Here is a link to Denise Cristobal's 10 Signs That You May Suffer from Hurry Sickness.  See anything you recognize?  

How do you avoid this dilemma?  Any advice for us?
Wishing you a 'slower' 2015 with lots of joy!

Linda Kay

22 comments:

Bethany Carson said...

Interesting advice! I think taking a road trip sounds fun.

Pickleope Von Pickleope said...

I was on board as soon as you mentioned napping. The idea of "Hurry Sickness" is great. It's a subject I've thought about in reference to myself and others (it probably is related to work-aholism in some way). The advice seems perfect. Something that helps me is yoga. Not "hot yoga" that's gross.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

My own solution is to play music; and devote my total attention to it and not using music as an accompaniment. Yoga or running also helps.

whiteangel said...

To begin with I am not in a hurry, never have been that I am aware of :)

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

I've always said, immediate gratification takes too long.

HOOTIN ANNI said...

#4 made me giggle. You and me both...but I am gonna try to do more physical activity this year; who knows what tomorrow will bring.

Gosia k said...

I love your post

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Something that helps me is to make sure I don't get caught up in somebody *else's* rush. I know a few people who are a bit on the chaotic side and I have to limit what I do with them to things that can't get too out of control.

Mike said...

8 and 9 were the only two that were anything like me. The rest? Not even close.

TexWisGirl said...

i do 4 out of 5 all the time. the 4th one is trouble for me as i love being home. :)

eileeninmd said...

They all sound like great advice.. The road trip is right up my alley.. I have a tough time napping n the daylight, unless I am sick..

I wish you a happy & healthy New Year!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I love the points you listed and I'm always looking for ways to improve my every day life. Not sure I should slow down though...lol! And I've learned to sit more but I can't take naps. I'm saving that for later. lol It's a good time to make some changes! Happy New year sweet friend! Hugs, Diane

John's Island said...

Hi Linda Kay, These are great suggestions. The older I get the more I realize the importance of slowing down. Well, it doesn't have to get real slow, but slower helps. Right now I am doing your suggestion #4 and soon I will do #3. :-) Thanks for sharing. John

William Kendall said...

Solitude certainly isn't a problem for me!

Cynthia said...

My working and child raising years were all one big rush, rush, rush. It's taken me a year of being retired to slow down and life is so much more peaceful that way!

".E." Lizard Breath Speaks, Beth said...

i spend a lot of time alone. one reason why i love blogging and talking with friends online. the hubby works a lot. i do think i have become more ok with being alone. not that i love it. but i appreciate it & enjoy the silence. ( :

i agree with you on the leave the computer behind. i enjoy that too. just getting away and not feeling i need to pick up the phone. not that i am stuck to my phone but i love not having to listen or turn it on.

The Furry Gnome said...

We'll, you get over hurry sickness really quickly when you have heart surgery and have to recover! Learn to rest your healing body!

Linda said...

I think these are good words of advice, Linda. I know that slowing down helps a lot, and one way of doing this is to not procrastinate. Keep a schedule, but don't be hard on yourself if you don't get everything done. Sometimes without realizing it people can cause their own stress by worry and leaving things until the last moment. Leaving earlier for work, for example, is a good practice, and safer, too. It also gives us a chance to look around us at the beauty in nature...and the beauty in others.

Amy at love made my home said...

I hope that you have a wonderfully slow 2015 in that case! xx

Kay said...

I love these... but my naps tend to be quite a bit longer. :-)

Dixie@dcrelief said...

I love naps. Twenty minutes can be so relaxing. I just set my mind, snooze, then get up and go.

Today I take time to enjoy time. No one else is going to do it for me, or any better than I can do it for me. No one else will suffer for me.:P

Mt favorite expression, when people ask me how I'm doing? "I'm moving like a herd of turtles."(dcrelief)

Nice post, and I enjoyed the other comments too.

Anvilcloud said...

I do alright on many of those but not sitting and doing nothing. I do something almost all of the time -- even if it's a low-level something, which is usually the case.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...