Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Judy's New Life #8 - Is the End Near?

Judy's New Life #8
The next day, Duane gathered all his things from Sally’s house, leaving the key on the kitchen counter as he left. He and the girls kept the house in good order while they waited for Carl to be released and for Judy to return home.

Judy had a good deal of time to think while she sat with Carl and wandered the halls of the hospital. Duane was back in her home spending time with the girls, which prompted her nostalgia. But how was she going to move forward. Things were different now. She had a job to go to. He had been unfaithful. How could she ever trust him again or get the image of him with Sally out of her mind? There would be an expectation for her to decide what would happen next in their marriage.

When Carl was released Duane was there to bring Judy and his son back to the house, where Carl was greeted with excitement from his sisters. They made him comfortable on the couch so he could be near the television. A small table was set up for drinks and food, while pillows and blankets were placed around him.

“Hey, I could get used to this treatment!” Carl commented to the girls.

While the children were gathered in the family room, Judy and Duane walked into the kitchen where they poured a glass of wine and sat at the kitchen counter.

“What happens now?” Judy asked, sipping her wine and looking into Duane’s eyes.

“Judy, I want us to be together. I’ve made a terrible mistake, but I hope you will give me another chance to prove my love for you and the kids.”

“It’s just not that simple, Duane. I’ve had a lot of time to think about you and about us. I have a job now, and I like having my independence.” Duane took her hand.

“The girls and I have had a great time together the last few days. We can all work through this, if you are willing to give it a try. For now, I can help with tending to Carl. Will you try?”

“Mom!” Carl broke the spell of the moment, and Judy went to the family room to see what he needed, her heart heavy from listening to Duane. 

“I’m starving. Can we get pizza? That hospital food was the pits!”

Judy looked to Duane who immediately grabbed his coat to make a run to the pizza parlor.

“What does everyone want?” he asked. “Who wants to go along to help carry?”

Judy smiled at his enthusiasm. For now he seemed to really be eager to please the kids as well as her. This was such a change from his distance for the last several months as he pursued his love affair. She couldn’t stop the anger that welled up inside her as her mood changed.

After everyone was tucked in, Judy excused herself from the family to take a hot bath and retire early. By the time she had her bath and read for a while, the house grew quiet with all the family in bed. The only sound was the chiming of the clock at eleven. She turned out the light and rolled onto her side, tucking her pillow firmly under her head. Then she heard a light tapping on her door. She knew it was Duane. Again she felt angry with him for assuming he could renew their physical relationship so quickly. She turned her head the other way and did not answer the door.
***
Here ends my story of Judy’s New Life, leaving each of you to decide the outcome. If I get some good possibilities for the end of the story, I may be back next week with an ending.
Will they get back together?
How would you write the ending?
Two Shoes Tuesdsay
Linking with Two Shoes Tuesday with the words nostalgia and next.

Linda Kay

18 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

I would like them to return to normal happiness.

Bethany Carson said...

A happily ever after ending would be nice (especially for the children's sake), but I think trust has been broken and though it might go well for a while, there probably would be future trouble in the marriage if they reunited. If I were Judy, I don't think I'd take him back.

Good story!

Val said...

Well obviously, she needs more time. I think perhaps she can forgive, but will she forget? I could not. I remember (nostalgia) this poem from my mother's Autograph book (remember them?)

Friendship (relationship) is like china,
Dainty, sweet and fair.
When broken can be mended,
But the scar is always there.

Lovely, Linda Kay

TexWisGirl said...

he needs to get out, find his own place. give her space. go to counseling together and separately. either that, or she should kick him to the curb right now. :)

Gosia k said...

I believe it is going to be a difficult relation ship. But let's give him a chance. It my personal opinion from the heart of Europe..

DeniseinVA said...

Trust has gone, it will take a miracle to get it back.

Amy at love made my home said...

Personally, he wouldn't be back if he were my husband, but it is easy to say that and a lot harder to do! I am sure that Judy would make the right choice as she seems sensible! xx

Far Side of Fifty said...

I suppose she is just another dumb woman who will take him back and he will repeat the cheat! Perhaps she should have a fling and see how he feels...what happened to the guy she met in the Lawyers office...time for a another date with him:)

Rory Bore said...

hhmmm, I think I need more time to decide! and I suppose, so does Judy. Infidelity is such a hard thing to recover from: I don't many actual couples who have. It just breaks the bonds of trust so completely. I suppose it depends on how willing they both are to communicate as to WHY he strayed. Because if not, he'd only do it again. Something is wrong in the marriage, or with him specifically, or he would not have gone seeking outside his marriage. I think any time someone seeks to go outside their marriage, OR bring someone else into it: not a good sign.
sadly, it is most likely this is not fixable. :(
But forgiveness may come in time.

Patricia said...

I am not sure...if he was always good until the offense maybe forgive him. Everyone needs a second chance sometimes. But if he was a pain in the butt she should move forward and live happy.

William Kendall said...

It would take a lot of time to work through that, and he'd have to get that he'd be in the doghouse for a long, long while.

Old Egg said...

Certainly she should be given more time and he should listen to her and what she wants. She could say that she will give him a few weeks to to see if he is genuine before accepting him back fully in their lives.

Mike said...

She's destined to marry cheaters. She should stick with the father of her children.

Janie Junebug said...

Judy should faint and dream she's gone back to the early days of her romance with Duane. Then she'll have to decide what to do. Should she marry him knowing what she now knows? And yes, I stole that plot from Peggy Sue Got Married.

Love,
Janie

Josie Two Shoes said...

There are no quick fixes or fast recoveries from such a serious breach of trust. I want to believe that he is serious in his intent to be faithful, and will continue to put more effort into their relationship, but if I was her, I'd be keeping a close eye on him for a long time, and I would take some time before letting him worm his way back into her heart and their bed. Once can be a terrible mistake, if it happens again, it's a choice and he's toast in my books! For me personally, once is too much, I have learned to draw the line there. I need someone I can trust unconditionally always, and I have that with Papa Bear.

Jeanne said...

Hi Linda Kay, boy, this story gives us food for thought. I would hope the story would end with their marriage restored and forgiveness as well. People make mistakes and this is huge but if he is sincere I would accept his regrets and move forward. One thing to overcome is 'trust' The big IF!

Loved this story post.
xo, Jeanne

The Yum List said...

No way - no getting back together. Judy has developed into a strong character and she's not going to let him get back in that easily.

Mary Hill said...

I think if it is the first time, they should go to counseling and he should agree to "dating" until trust can be rebuilt.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...