Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Judy's New Life #9

Judy's New Life #9

Okay, okay....so let's see if we can decide how to end this short  long saga of Judy's New Life. Some great thoughts were shared in the comments last week either wanting me to kick Duane to the curb, or to let him back into the family. Some were not sure what to do.  So I've come up with a compromise.  Thanks to Val for posting the poem to the comments last week. It was so perfect!
****
shattered family-portrait Maddi Gillel

The next morning Gina and Sandra left for school and Duane left for work. Nothing was said between them about the previous evening. Judy was grateful for the silence.  He did not make an effort to embrace her or kiss her good-bye, saying that he would be back in the evening for dinner.

After making sure Carl was comfortable and had all he needed nearby, Judy called the office to assure them she would be there the next day. She walked to her small office and turned on the computer to catch up on her email and visit some blogs she enjoyed. There she found a poem that addressed her state of mind: 

Friendship (relationship) is like china,
Dainty, sweet and fair.
When broken can be mended, 
But the scar is always there.

Reading this gave Judy the resolve to talk to Duane. Later in the afternoon, she called her attorney, finished up some laundry, and prepared dinner. All her plans were in place. After dinner was finished, Judy asked the girls to clean up the kitchen, and invited Duane to the office to talk privately.

“I have made a decision. Having you in the house is not working out.  I want you to move out to an apartment, or live with your family; I don’t care where.” Duane didn’t try to interrupt her.

“Whether or not we can restore our family is not a hasty decision for me.  I’m hurt. I have a new life now, and I need space and time. I’ve talked to my attorney to draw up a legal separation agreement, and he will talk to your attorney to work out the details. We can continue to raise our children together. Counseling is a requirement, so either you or I need to find someone to meet with individually and together to see if you we can rebuild what we have lost.”

“Judy, I had hoped we would be able to put the past behind us.”

“Not that easy, Duane. I know the kids will be disappointed, but they will adjust and, hopefully, will appreciate our commitment to counseling. I’m making no promises right now. You have to leave the house for me to make sure I am making the right decisions.”

Duane nodded his head in agreement. They told the kids of their decision, emphasizing the fact that they would be working on their marriage and a divorce was not in the immediate future. Duane then packed his clothes and left the house. Tears flowed from Sandra’s eyes as she waved to him from the window. She brushed past Judy and ran to her room. Judy did not pursue her.

After watching some television with Gina and Carl, she helped Carl to his room and his bed for a good night’s sleep. Returning to her room, Judy felt a great sense of relief to know that Duane was out of the house. She also felt an increasing sense of power and independence for facing life in the days to come.

What do you think? Is this the right decision? How will it turn out? I loved sharing this story with you, and have so enjoyed your comments.

I'll start a new story soon! Not connecting today to any memes.

Linda Kay

20 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

It was a satisfactory conclusion, but a sad one.

Bethany Carson said...

Really enjoyed this story!

strangelynaked.com said...

Thank you for not going straight to divorce and going instead to compromise and potentially reconciliation. I think that's the better, and for me more satisfactory, conclusion. I hope you'll try shopping this story around. I'd like to be able to say I knew you back when you were giving your stories away for free.

Amy at love made my home said...

I think this could have gone in many ways, just as peoples lives do, but this is a good way for them to head and hopefully they will make it! xx

John's Island said...

Thanks for the story Linda Kay. You are an excellent writer. I do like the compromise in the end. Are you planning to write a book? Looking forward to your next story! John

Janie Junebug said...

I like it. I let X come back home too many times. He knew I was a doormat. I like Judy.

Love,
Janie

TexWisGirl said...

hallelujah. she needs space and independence. counseling together or singly is never a bad thing, either.

zana said...

A great ending, whatever happens she will be a stronger person.

Far Side of Fifty said...

She is on the right track...great decision:)

Mike said...

I think she is punishing her kids because she can't handle the situation. Judy and Duane decided to pop some kids out together. They both need to be in it for the long haul.

Louisette said...

Hello Linda,thanks for your visit on my blog, I am a Lions also, in our country also poor families, our benefits differens activities, as concerts, meals,Xmas tree,chocolate buy in our activity, go for children, we have three houses for aid with children small middle and younger mother in my town, and another international in Katanga,CDR for shool partenariat between teacher" Mikembo Mukini"
I wish you a happy week , best regard from Belgium

carol l mckenna said...

very creative writing ~ great story!

Happy Week to you,
artmusedog and carol

Gosia k said...

great story and you are the fantastic writer

Dixie@dcrelief said...

Seems abrupt and cold, but here's the thing. I've only read two posts of this story and don't know the background. This hinders an opinion I formulate today.

Still, it does grab you and pull you into their struggle.

William Kendall said...

A bit of a sad, but realistic, ending.

Val said...

First of all, thanks for the shout out.
I am glad the poem inspired you. I think Judy is wise and I'm glad she is making counselling part of the agreement. She is feeling powerful and in control right now, but am sure as they face issues in counselling, she will have to come to terms with some very difficult emotions and situations. I do love this story. I'm glad Duane was agreeable and not too vocal about his opinion.

The Yum List said...

Yes! I like this ending.

DeniseinVA said...

I think this was the right thing to do. She needs the space to get her head on straight. Having him underfoot would only have complicated matters. Hopefully counseling will help them to put things right, not only for them but for the kids. Very well written Linda Ky, you tell an excellent tale. I also liked the poem very much.

Rory Bore said...

I actually love how this ended! I think it is absolutely the best way to determine her feelings for him after being hurt, and to gauge his resolve to fix what he broke. And I think being separated to each work on their issues, and being together for counseling is the wisest decision. Nothing is done hasty; and the goal seems to still be restoration.
nicely done!

Cherdo said...

Good call, Judy...but "awwwwwwwwww."

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...