Monday, January 5, 2015

Monday Good Random Fun

The Good:

The family is all safely back in Illinois! They were delayed one day on New Year's Day when there were winter advisories out in Texas, but they ventured out on Friday to make the trek back to Illinois. Two cars, nine precious family members and friends, all back home safe and sound.  God is good.




The Random:
Many of you don't know that I was a CPA in my career, and I have just received my latest version of Turbo Tax....I can't wait to get started on the taxes for 2014.  I do our taxes and my daughter's taxes, but that's all I get to do now.  And besides, it isn't any fun any more. There was a time when it was fun to find all kind of tax savings for clients, but it seems that many of those benefits have been closed. This is the one connection I still have to the old Linda Kay, so I do enjoy this once a year challenge!  Now I'd rather be writing!
There are some tax changes in 2015 for those who might be interested:
1.  For those in the big bucks - the ceiling on tax is increased (adjusted for inflation) to 39.6%.  Not one for me to worry about!
2.  For 2015 the standard deduction is going up.
3.  Medicare tax on your payroll income is slightly higher for 2015. Again not one for me to be concerned with.
4.  There are changes to such things as IRA rollovers and 401K contributions.
So for those of you in the U.S., you might want to take a look at changes for 2015 to do some tax planning, or be sure to work with someone who can help.  For those of you who do not live in the U.S. - Sorry to bore you with the 'random' for today.

The Fun:
I had a good laugh when a friend posted this poem to me on Facebook.  Hope you enjoy...it's a little long for my usual blog posts. I don't know the source of the poem.


Christmas at Rock-Away Rest  

Twas the night before Christmas at Rock-Away Rest, 
and all of us seniors were looking our best.             
Our glasses, how sparkly, our wrinkles, how merry; 
Our punchbowl held prune juice plus three drops of sherry.    
            
A bedsock was taped to each walker, in hope          
That Santa would bring us soft candy and soap.             
We surely were lucky to be there with friends,             
Secure in this residence and in our Depends.    
            
Our grandkids had sent us some Christmasy crafts,             
Like angels in snowsuits and penguins on rafts.             
The dental assistant had borrowed our teeth,             
And from them she'd crafted a holiday wreath.    
            
The bed pans, so shiny, all stood in a row,             
Reflecting our candle's magnificent glow.            
Our supper so festive -- the joy wouldn't stop --             
Was creamy warm oatmeal with sprinkles on top.    
            
Our salad was Jell-O, so jiggly and great,             
Then puree of fruitcake was spooned on each plate.             
The social director then had us play games,             
Like "Where Are You Living?" and "What Are Your Names?"    
            
Old Grandfather Looper was feeling his oats,             
Proclaiming that reindeer were nothing but goats.             
Our resident wand'rer was tied to her chair,    

In hopes that at bedtime she still would be there.    
            
Security lights on the new fallen snow             
Made outdoors seem noon to the old folks below.             
Then out on the porch there arose quite a clatter             
(But we are so deaf that it just didn't matter).    
            
A strange little fellow flew in through the door,            
Then tripped on the sill and fell flat on the floor.            
Twas just our director, all togged out in red.             
He jiggled and chuckled and patted each head.            
   
We knew from the way that he strutted and jived            
Our social- security checks had arrived.             
We sang -- how we sang -- in our monotone croak,             
Till the clock tinkled out its soft eight-p.m. stroke.    
            
And soon we were snuggling deep in our beds.            
While nurses distributed nocturnal meds.
And so ends our Christmas at Rock-Away Rest.             
We all wish you the best!

Have a fabulous Monday, enjoying things as they get back to 'normal' whatever that is! Joining in today with Good Random Fun.  Thanks for hosting!

Linda Kay

23 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

I'm looking for all the paperwork to do my taxes. I use TurboTax too.

Gosia k said...

At my place we do our 2014 taxes till 30th April. The poem is funny

whiteangel said...

Good your family arrived home safety. We do our Taxes after the 30 June each year, have until May the following year to have the tax paper in...I think that's how it goes.

Tamar SB said...

Good luck with the taxes! Glad your family made it safely back!

W. Latane Barton said...

That poem was both funny and sad at the same time. If we live long enough I guess we all are faced with Christmases like that.

Lin Floyd said...

funny sign on highway and old timers joke...

Banana Oil said...

I'll do my taxes maƱana.

Dixie@dcrelief said...

Hahaha! Great poem - glad you shared it. I'm USA and not sure how this year will go. I used to do taxes as well, back in the day when, as you say, it was fun!
Have a great evening, Linda!

Rebecca said...

Oh goodness, I can't imagine being eager to do taxes. Rebecca

TexWisGirl said...

glad your family got home safely!!! yay!

i used to sort of enjoy doing our taxes. not so much these days... :)

Mike said...

I have a friend that is a retired IRS agent. He swears by Turbotax. I swear by my tax guy.

carol l mckenna said...

Glad your family arrived home safe and sound ~ lovely post and fun poem ~ Gad to hear someone that likes to do taxes! Amazing ~

thanks for visiting ~

Happy New Year to you,
artmusedog and carol

".E." Lizard Breath Speaks, Beth said...

if you would like to do our taxes. i bet the hubby would love that. sounds like you are great with #'s. ( :

DeniseinVA said...

The poem made me laugh. The taxes, don't have to worry about that either :) Cute poem!

William Kendall said...

Fortunately everyone was accounted for in those two cars.

My aunt and uncle once came to see my parents, just an hour's drive away, but in the winter that could be a problem. They took two cars because they had quite a number of kids. One of the daughters got inadvertantly left behind at our house because each of them thought the other had taken her.

Janie Junebug said...

I love the poem. I don't mind doing my taxes. At least I know they're the truth. I'm not so sure they were when X did them.

Love,
Janie

Janie Junebug said...

I wish I'd gotten left behind someplace.

Rory Bore said...

As we were the hosts this year, I am eternally grateful for traveling mercies for our friends and families!

that poem was awesome! so enjoyed that.

The Yum List said...

Ha, ha - tax reform cartoon.

Anvilcloud said...

Do people in Texas always like Taxes?

See what I did there? ;)

Amy at love made my home said...

I am glad that I don't have to do taxes! I love the fun poem though! xx

Kay said...

We have an accountant do our taxes for us. I wish we had a CPA in the family.

My daughter just texted that it's 13 degrees right now, without wind chill.

Michelle F said...

LOL...I enjoyed this post, Linda Kay.
I read the poem to my son, then just had to forward the little cartoon.

Have a wonderful week and God Bless!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...