Monday, January 12, 2015

Vacation in the Ozarks

Joining with Retired-Not-Tired for Monday Memories:

Back on the farm in Illinois, we didn't take vacations when I was really young.  First of all not enough money, but also because farming required my dad to be there all the time. But when I was in my teens, my parents decided to take us on a family vacation to the Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri. They rented a cabin with enough beds for my parents, my brothers and me, and packed up enough food to feed an army for a week. I'm sure this made for a fairly inexpensive trip the first week of August.  This is the time when the crops are all maintained and farmers are just waiting for that first chance to get into the field for harvest.

From our cabin we could run down the hill to the walkway out to the floating dock and jump off into the water to swim. Among the other guests at our complex, we met a wonderful couple with teen-aged children....and a ski boat! This was so far from our normal life experiences, that I can't tell you how excited we were, when we were invited to go for a boat ride.  Jack and Pat loved to take folks out on the water.  They also loved to teach kids who had never been behind a boat to ski. I never tried it. I was way too chicken. They would say, "Come on, you can do it. If you fall, it won't hurt!" Then I would overhear a conversation about someone falling and having their eyelids turn inside out.  Not for me!



We did have wonderful fun. There was a carnival at the main bridge with rides and a huge Ferris wheel. We got cotton candy and caramel corn to much on. 

Our families became fast friends, and from that time on we continued to travel to Missouri from Illinois (six hours) to our reserved cabin at the lake. My brothers and finally my children all learned to ski behind Jack and Pat's boat. I remember one vacation where a family was staying in our complex with a huge speed boat.  It pulled seven skiers out of the water at the same time. And it made a lot of noise!

I'll stick with this boat!


It was probably the only time in my memory when I saw my dad really relax.  I cherish that memory. Farmers have a really hard life, and he did custom work for other farmers as well.

Have a great Monday.

Linda Kay

31 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Great memory. The fact that it was unusual, almost a first as it were, makes it more special than had you experienced multiple vacations.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Thanks for sharing that memory. It made an impression. Hope you have a great week, Linda Kay!

eileeninmd said...

A great memory of your family vacation.. Sounds like a great time at the lake for the children and relax time for the adults.. Thanks for sharing, have a happy Monday!

whiteangel said...

Wonderful memory of your holiday away from the farm.
I don't ski, but my husband used to.

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

I've driven THROUGH the Ozarks :)

Tabor said...

Your vacation memories are much like mine. We had a small farm and dad worked at a salaried job, but we did not have money for vacations.

Kathy said...

I enjoyed reading your vacation memories! I understand the part about farmers not taking many vacations, since we live in farm country.

I'm with you on water skiing. I was always too chicken to try it, but it sure did look like fun :)

Dixie@dcrelief said...

Beautiful place and you make it come alive!

Linda W. said...

What a great story! Vacations make the best memories.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

I loved snow skiing. Never figured out the water skis, though.

Great pics!
~

Mike said...

We used to go to Brill's Rainbow Resort below the dam on Lake Taneycomo.

Jeanne said...

Hi Linda Kay, I love your post so much. It brought back memories of my family who lived on a dairy farm in MI. We vacationed in my grandfather's hunting cabin in the upper part of MI. We swam in Lake Superior and it was so cold we never stayed in the water more than 20 minutes. The cabin was remote but the memories are so special. It too was always August.

Your experience on that vacation was a lifetime memory. How special for your family with having met very dear forever friends. Thank you for sharing your wonderful memory that has lasted all these years.

xo, Jeanne

John's Island said...

Hi Linda Kay, Interesting story today. Thanks for sharing. John

Karen S. said...

A fun place! Lucky for me, (and my children and their children) I really enjoyed our family vacations, and as many as we can squeeze in now! We had a fun (great) family outing to South Dakota last summer and everyone joined us at Yogi Bear Campgrounds in Wisconsin too!

Gail said...

Wonderful memories.

Lin Floyd said...

fun memories, i've never wanted to water ski and haven't...lol!

Banker Chick said...

Wonderful vacation memories, we live very near the Ozarks and have done quite a bit of vacationing there as well.

Pat said...

What a wonderful story.

TexWisGirl said...

definitely rare for a farmer to get away!

Gosia k said...

That is why I love living in the big polluted city farming is a very challenging job without any vacations.

William Kendall said...

Those are good memories to have!

The Yum List said...

What great memories. And... wow, seven skis at at time - that's a powerful boat.

Kinley Dane said...

That sounds like a fun vacation! We always went to a cabin on our family vacations, nowhere fancy, but we always had such a great time.

My grandpa had a boat when I was little and I too refused to water ski with him. He was just too crazy of a driver, I wasn't gonna take any chances, ha ha :)

Michelle F said...

Hi, Linda Kay!

I hope your week is having a great start.
I tried skiing, once. I really tried & tried. However, I could not get up on the skis. Every time the boat went forward the rope went, but I stayed behind.

I enjoy learning more about you through these Monday memories.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Great memories:)

Linda said...

Wonderful memories, Linda!!!

Amy at love made my home said...

Thank you for sharing your lovely memories! xx

Carola Bartz said...

What a lovely memory. I can see some magic about this vacation, and it honestly sounds like heaven. How wonderful that the two families connected and became friends!

Val said...

Vacations are the part of life when we get to relax, have fun and build lasting memories for those times when we can't relax and aren't having any fun!

Cynthia said...

Those simple cabin-at-the-lake family vacations were so special. I loved seeing the same people year after year and just hanging out near the water. Now it seems that kids expect a lot more.

retired not tired said...

Thanks for sharing your memories. Our dads sure worked hard back then.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...