Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Wednesday, Hump Day

Sharing some random thoughts with you today- fits my mood for this 'hump day'. 



Today is my writing day, and this cartoon was posted on Facebook. Sometimes as a writer it is hard to get the brain in motion, so this cartoon seemed like a great way to start my day, sympathizing with Snoopy!

















We just had the most fabulous oatmeal breakfast on this chilly winter day. And it was so easy. In the crockpot, lined with one of those crockpot liners (these keep the oatmeal from sticking to the sides), put in four cups of water and one cup of steel cut outs with a bit of salt. Set the crockpot on low the night before and let it cook for at least seven hours. Stir and serve. Add in a bit of cream, some cinnamon, a few pecans or nuts of choice, and a packet of Splenda. Ta Da! Yummy and satisfying.

Last Monday, my committee was in charge of decorations (Winter Wonderland) and supplying food for our compound subdivision ladies at Heritage Hill Country. This event is monthly and about forty ladies attend for a bit of sharing time and good breakfast yummies.  We had two egg casseroles, two coffee cakes, some of those little quiches, and a bowl of fruit to share.  But following are the pictures of our layout:

 We served juice and a mimosas, and coffee.


Each table had a silver poinsettia, sparkly tinsel, and mirrors underneath the plant.


The Front Entrance was also silvery and white. 
Note that we found all the decorations for 75% off at WalMart!

I was the speaker and talked about preserving memories for future generations. Have you done your memoirs for your families? Check out the book 'To Our Childrens' Children' by Bob Greene.  It has lots of questions to stimulate memories.

Hubby has had a head cold, so I'm not kissin' him. I do not want that awful sniffles and coughing that makes you pee your pants. I'm pampering him, and we've been kind of holed up in the house lately.

Have a wonderful Wednesday.

Linda Kay


24 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Your oatmeal sounds yummy. I will have try your recipe..The decorations are pretty for your event and the breakfast sounds great too. I hope you hubby feels better soon.. Have a happy day!

eViL pOp TaRt said...

The decorations look fabulous! And the oatmeal must taste wonderful! Have a great writingday.

Bethany Carson said...

The decorations are beautiful and the food sounds delicious. Get well wishes to your husband!

whiteangel said...

All look very nice.

TexWisGirl said...

hope he gets to feeling better soon!

i just had instant oatmeal with a banana cut up in it. :)

Dixie@dcrelief said...

I love breakfast and get togethers... so to have both at the same time is hitting the jackpot!

Pretty table arrangement; love a bargain!

Congratulations on being the speaker; did you record it so we could have a listen,Hmm?

Karen S. said...

A lovely fun post, good finds at great value too. Also, let's hope you don't catch hubby's cold!

Michelle F said...

Hi, Linda Kay!

Thanks for the laugh. Just gotta love Snoopy.

Speaking of love, I love those crockpot liners. They are probably a bit expensive for every day use. But, what did we do before they were invented? Oh my, the mess.
Btw, thanks for the recipe. I haven't had any luck with cooking oatmeal in the crockpot. But, we just bought some steel cut oats. So I am going to try this recipe.

Hoping your hubby feels better soon, and no peeing in your pants :)

Lin Floyd said...

looks fun, I love oatmeal with half and half on it. So creamy and nutritious

SuperLux said...

This decoration looks elegant. :)

DeniseinVA said...

Thanks for the chuckle. I love Snoopy humor, anything to do with Charlie Brown actually :) Thanks also for the idea of the oatmeal. I haven't had it in the crockpot for a long time and it's so easy. Tomorrow I will have oatmeal in the crockpot. Your decorations for the ladies get together looks very festive, a real nice gathering and sounds very interesting.

Mike said...

Is your compound gated? Do they wand you to get in?

Cynthia said...

I sympathize with your hubby. I've had a yucky virus, too, and it's not fun. I love your breakfast decorations -- elegant and wintery. And, 75 % off!

Linda W. said...

Love those table decorations! Hope you don't catch your hubby's cold.

Gosia k said...

The Christmas decorations are lovely and intersting

Gosia k said...

christmas decorations are lovely and interesting

Janie Junebug said...

Compound made me laugh. How about cell or death row?

Love,
Janie

Janie Junebug said...

I forgot to say I have a Snoopy writing cartoon taped to the inside of one of my kitchen cabinets. I cut it out of the paper about twenty years ago.

Love again,
Janie

William Kendall said...

You know, Lucy always struck me as a very unhappy, bitter person. It makes you wonder who Schulz modelled her on.

Cranberry Morning said...

Hope your hubby gets well fast! that's no way to spend time. ;-) I'll check out that book. I need to start writing down stuff. Our grandkids have no idea about anything in our lives, and at this point certainly don't care. But maybe some day they will. Good reminder!

Rory Bore said...

So love Snoopy. Woodstock is my mom's favourite cartoon character.

that's so funny... I just had oatmeal this morning too! I didn't make it in the crockpot, but it was pretty much the same: a bit of salt, some dried cranberries and almond slivers, dash of brown sugar and a bit of cream to cool: delish!

You know, I have coughed so hard and long today - I was in danger of wetting my pants. What is up with that?

Cherdo said...

The crock pot oatmeal deserves another try from yours truly. I did it once and hated the way it came out. Now I believe it was the crock pot...perhaps a thermostat was out of whack.

Lovely decorations!

The Yum List said...

Oh Snoopy, he reminds me of someone I know :-)

Amy at love made my home said...

Your decorations are lovely! I hope the ladies enjoyed their breakfast. Your speaker was wonderful I am sure! A great to share your knowledge and wisdom with others. Hope that your hubby is feeling better soon! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...