Tuesday, January 27, 2015

What is the Opposite?


Happy Tuesday to you! Linking in with Josie and Two Shoes Tuesday today for the word "opposite".




I did a little searching on Google for the word "opposite" and I ran across this explanation of the opposite of the word "victim":


In crime, the opposite role from the victim is the offender, or attacker.
In fatalities, the opposite of a victim is a survivor.
In terms of crime, the person who is robbed, hurt, harmed etc. is the victim.
The person who does the crime is the perpetrator.
The opposite of victim is perpetrator.
The opposite of victim could also be survivor.
This is true with diseases such as cancer or horrible events like the 9/11 attacks.
People who die of cancer are victims.
People who died on 9/11 are victims.
Those who recover from cancer are survivors.
Those who lived through the events of 9/11 are survivors.
Kind of interesting to think about. So here are a couple of other words to think about on this Tuesday. The opposite of "steep". The opposite of "benefit".  The opposite of "progress." What are your thoughts on the matter?  What would you consider to be the opposite of these three words?

Put your thinking cap on (or see what you can find on Google or Bing).

The second word for TST is "own". Guess what Google brought up on this? OWN is Oprah Winfrey's network. Does anyone watch it? The dictionary definition indicates something belonging to oneself. I'm happy to say that as opposed to a bank having a title, we "own" our home and "own" our vehicles. 

Guess I was being a little lazy today, just using the technology instead of thinking.  Thanks for the word for today, Josie.

Linda Kay

22 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Linda, I enjoyed this post. I think you can look up everything on Google, it is amazing.I have not watched Oprah's channel, usually there is always something else to watch. Happy Tuesday!

Lin Floyd said...

it takes thinking to do technology!

whiteangel said...

Interesting when you come to think of it all.
No, I don't think we even get O[rah Winfrey in Australia, maybe on pay TV. I wouldn't watch it anyway as I am not a fan or hers at all, infact I don't care for many shows. But that's me!

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Linda, a great post!

Immediately I think of the opposite of progress to be Congress (maybe I'm channeling Bilbo!).

Liability is the opposite of benefit. Hmmm... "friends with liabilities"?

The opposite of steep is level.

TexWisGirl said...

i must be still thinking about my hot tea from last night because i immediately thought the opposite of steep is drain. :)

Mike said...

So what's the opposite of Tuesday?

Rory Bore said...

I have caught a couple of shows on the OWN channel -- but it's not one I typically watch. nothing against Oprah, it's just not normally my kind of TV.
I own the clothes on my back and closet and I think that's about it! LOL The house and cars are still technically not "ours."

Michelle F said...

Linda,what an interesting post!

My first thought when I see the word `steep` is brew, as in tea. So I looked up the opposite of brew and found: lessen, retrain, disappear, recede, tranquilize, diminish, retreat, shrink, taper off, soothe

William Kendall said...

For steep, I would say shallow or level. For benefit the opposite I would characterize as punishment or hindrance, depending on context. For progress, I'd go with regress, though there's also the joke that the opposite of Progress is Congress.

DeniseinVA said...

At first I thought of flat opposite to steep, but a better word would be shallow? The opposite of benefit could be cost, as in "the cost-benefit analysis". The opposite of progress is regression. That's my take anyhow

Gosia k said...

It is an interesting for me as a teacher. So it is a joke What is plural of word music - defintely band,,,

Gosia k said...

It is an interesting for me as a teacher. So it is a joke What is plural of word music - defintely band,,,

Old Egg said...

I didn't look at the others comments first so here are my immediate responses to the three words:
Steep - Easy
Benefit - Detriment
Progress - Regress

Now let me check the other and thanks for making my brain work this morning!

Val said...

I had some trouble thinking of what to write this week. The opposite angle is very interesting. To me, the opposite of steep is level. The opposite of progress is stagnation. The opposite of benefit would be liability. (she said, sounding quite like a dictionary of antonyms).

Janie Junebug said...

I've watched shows on Oprah's channel a couple of times. I read that the channel didn't get off to a good start, but it's still there.

Love,
Janie

Jeanne said...

Hi Linda Kay, Food for thought is the most I can come up with in this moment of commenting, HA! I have been entirely consumed with doing our yearbook for my garden club. I'll do a post on it later. I have to have 55 yearbooks ready by our meeting next Monday. Not much time for visiting. I did visit your Monday post and commented. A bit late huh?

Have a great week.
xo, Jeanne

Josie Two Shoes said...

I'd say you did some pretty good thinking here, Linda Kay! I loved the first piece and how the definition of things can change according to the context we are using it in. For your next set of words, my mind quickly came up with steep/gradual, benefit/detriment, and progress/regress.

We own our little house and my vehicle too, and are getting closer to owning Papa Bear's truck. That's a good feeling of security in these ever-changing times!

Rose said...

For the opposite of steep, my first thought was flat. Cannot think what I would use for benefit or progress, and both are there on the tip of my tongue. Don't watch OWN...but used to like her show when I had time to watch it.

Rose said...

Ok--I just went ahead and googled...the ones I would use for benefit are disadvantage, encumbrance and hindrance, Just my opinion...there were a couple more.

For progress, I will have to agree with comment above and choose regress as one or maybe recession.

Amy at love made my home said...

It is an unusual, but very interesting way to approach the subject. Very thought provoking indeed! xx

Anonymous said...

Let's see...steep/low, benefit/harm, progress/stop. As for Oprah's OWN I don't watch because I don't have TV service. It is wonderful to leave the partnership with the bank and own your home. I recently found out just how wonderful!

AuraOfThoughts MeenalSonal said...

Intresting take on prompt and must say unique too :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...