Wednesday, February 18, 2015

For Sale

Thanks to all who stopped by to join in last Wednesday!

Here's hoping some of you might join me in posting a story with a picture for Wednesday Wit and Wisdom.  The challenge is to post a picture, then write a short story or a poem about the picture.  When you have your story written, you can link up for others to read.  Feel free to also add your picture and story to another link of your choice. The link up is on my WWW page here.


I thought I would share this picture with you today with my little story.

For Sale!



Jim and Kathleen recently read an article about mission service opportunities abroad. Jim was working as a bookkeeper in a small store in town, and Kathleen worked as a nurse's aid at the local hospital. Neither of them was making a very large salary, but they faithfully attended their church each week. The Sunday School class they attended was working through a book that challenged individuals to step outside their comfort zone and dream big dreams for service to less fortunate. 

Driving home for church one Sunday, Kathleen told Jim it would be her wildest dream to be of service in missions in Africa or South America. They laughed as they tried to imagine how they might possibly be able to work it out. As Kathleen was reading ahead in her Sunday School book, she ran across something that caught her eye: God delights to do impossible things through improbable people to impart exceeding grace to undeserving recipients. She ran in to the living room to show it to Jim. 

"What would we do with all our stuff? We don't have much, but we couldn't take anything with us." 

Within a few weeks, Jim and Kathleen had found an opportunity where they might be able to serve. So they set about clearing out all of their belongs to follow the dream.

"Jim, someone out there might find a treasure among our things. We have to believe that we will be able to get rid of everything and be able to move on."

Take a look. At first glance, it looks like a lot of junk. But some of you readers are very crafty and clever.  Do you see anything that might be salvageable to remake, redesign, or use among all these items? You can enlarge the pictures to take a look.

Please also join in if you have a picture and a story to share. Your turn!

Thanks

Linda Kay

15 comments:

Mascha said...

Wow, it's a great and wise story!

John's Island said...

Hi Linda Kay, Will be interesting to see the stories on this one. Definitely a lot of possibilities! Have a good day. John

Michelle F said...

I look forward to reading how this turns out. Ok, I am wondering is this just an excellent story or is it real?

TexWisGirl said...

brave souls to embark on a new life.

Carola Bartz said...

What a beautiful story! I sure would find some things - the tin buckets for starters. The door. The beautiful metal things right next to the door - I can see them in my garden! I'm sure there would be more - oh that rug with the bird and sunset colors!

Karen S. said...

Such a wonderful story, indeed!

Cherdo said...

The whole group of items looks like a shabby chic lovers dream come true. I'm thinking she wouldn't have any problem getting rid of the stuff.

I love the heart of this story.

Mike said...

Looks like someone move my garage and sheds into the yard.

Gosia k said...

I love people who are brave..

William Kendall said...

I like how those shots inspired you!

Amy at love made my home said...

A great story! I am sure there could be lots done with all of those things, although I think that moving the cactus could prove tricky to do! xx

Patricia said...

I had a hard time getting to this screen but finally success. I liked the story. It is something a friend of mine did. Sold everything and went to Ivory Coast.
Sorry that my link is on here twice. Delete one of them if you can.

Wandering Wren said...

Linda - a great read. I think it would be rather liberating to sell up and move to Africa or South America! However I am sure I would end up buying something here, got any birdhouses?!
Wren x

Anita said...

Lovely post, Linda!
Just like one man's meat is another man's poison,
similarly,
one man's junk is another man's treasure :)

Anita said...

Submitted my post now! :)
Chocolaty & sweet!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...