Friday, February 13, 2015

Friday in Fredericksburg


Did you know that my town, Fredericksburg TX has now been rated as one of the best places to retire....and here I am!

When our friends George and Sue visited recently, we went to the Marktplatz (Market Place Park) to check out the Vereins Kirche, which I have shown to you before. There is a picture (actually several) on the website you can visit, but here is one we took that day as well.
This used to sit in the middle of Main Street and was attended by all religions of the first German settlers.

Further into the park there is a statue and a plaque depicting the organizer of those German settlers, John Meusebach.


The really interesting and historical information about John was that he established a treaty with the Native Americans, mostly Comanche tribes, to protect the settlers from these warring factions who terrorized the area...not saying they didn't have a right. Fredericksburg was right in Comanche Territory.

This statue is in the park as well, along with another standing brave.  Nearby, there is a little water wheel turning to add a bit of ambiance.

Do you have a Valentine for your sweetie? Better get busy, as tomorrow's the day! And don't mention it to anyone, but today is Friday the 13th!

Linda Kay

25 comments:

Dixie@dcrelief said...

Hi Linda. That's such a lovely building and what an unusual shape. That's also a lovely statue with the sharing of the peace pipe.

Happy Friday. Happy Valentine's.

Rebecca said...

Lucky you! I keep thinking about where to retire. Some place with lower taxes, less traffic and nicer people would suit me fine.

eileeninmd said...

It is a beautiful building, love the statues..Have a great Friday and Happy Valentine's Day!

whiteangel said...

All is lovely, and isn't that wonderful for retirement. Do you agree!
Regards,
Margaret

eViL pOp TaRt said...

The pictures of Fredericksburg convince me that is a nice community.

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

I've driven through many a time on my way from El Paso to Austin. Have relatives that live a bit south still...the rave about a restaurant there. Happy Friday to you. :)

McGuffy Ann Morris said...

Well, you are in the right place at the right time! Interesting post, too!

Gosia k said...

it is nice to hear youy live in a fantastic place

John's Island said...

Hi Linda Kay, Neat photos ... Looks like I better check out Fredericksburg ... you are lucky to be there! :-) Thanks for the comments about Fort Worth. Have a good weekend. John

TexWisGirl said...

what a beautiful park!

Linda W. said...

Very interesting! When I think of Texas, I don't think of Germans settling there - I've always assumed they all settled in the northern plains states (I'm from S. Dakota and there are a lot of folks of German descent living there).

Thistle Cove Farm said...

I know I've always wanted to visit the TX Hill Country...memory seems to say that's what your area is called? It's beautiful as are your photos...more please!

Karen S. said...

I didn't know that but I can believe it. Very pretty there. Great photos too.

Rose said...

This would be an interesting place to visit...

Mike said...

Well stop by some day on our way to McAllen to visit friends. Some day.

Nonnie said...

I noticed that the other day and thought how nice it would be to live there. I love Fredericksburg.

Amy at love made my home said...

I'm glad that you get to live in such a great place! xx

William Kendall said...

I like that water wheel, and the church is quite unusual.

In the southern part of Ontario there is a town that hosts bikers every Friday the 13th on their motorbikes... except in the winter. Who would be crazy enough to take a motorbike out in the snow?

Mage said...

Thanks for all this history. :)

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Would love to visit Fredericksburg and all the Hill Country!

Patricia said...

Fredericksburg is such an attractive and interesting place Linda. Would you believe, I have a photo of myself with that water wheel in the background? Love the sculptures - we enjoyed the public art in Texas generally!

zana said...

You live in an interesting place, lovely park, have a lovely day.

The Yum List said...

That's an interestingly shaped church.

Saucy Kodz said...

I have actually.....way up here in Atlantic Canada, read about Fredericksburg. I always though it was a quaint and charming place - wouldn't mind visiting there myself. Happy Valentine's Day.

Michelle F said...

Linda,

I like the statue of John(?) and the Native American.
I used to think it was sad how the settlers took the land away from the Native Americans. However, I am thankful to have been born in America.

I actually did think about Friday 13th.
But, I didn't hear anyone mention it.
I guess Valentine's was on everyone's mind.

Tomorrow hubby has a milestone birthday to celebrate! xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...