Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Ike and Zeke

Thanks to all who stopped by to join in last Wednesday!

Here's hoping some of you might join me in posting a story with a picture for Wednesday Wit and Wisdom.  The challenge is to post a picture, then write a short story or a poem about the picture.  When you have your story written, you can link up for others to read.  Feel free to also add your picture and story to another link of your choice. The link up is on my WWW page here.




Here's my story for this week, along with the picture. Enjoy!

Ike and Zeke were waking up after spending the entire day languishing in their den in the hollow of the old oak tree.  Ike stretched out his legs and poked at Zeke. Darkness was all around them.

"Hey, buddy, we gotta git goin'! It's garbage day tomorrow, so those city folks have their trash cans out tonight. There should be some fine vittals in those cans." Zeke curled back into a ball and ignored Ike.

"I said, let's get goin', man. I know just the place for us to do some scavengerin." Ike pushed Zeke's back to rouse him.

"Okay, okay, I'm comin', Ike. What's your big hurry? We got all night!"

"There are others around who will be lookin', too, Zeke. We don't wanna be the last ones at the site!"

The two of them scurried out of the log, charged across the snow covered forest floor, dodged two cars on the icy road, and finally arrived at the subdivision gate.

"If we wait here for a car to go through, we can sneak through the gate on this side. No one will see us." Ike was always the ring leader.

They waited patiently, hidden by the large rosemary bush beside the gate. Finally a car came to the gate, and it opened on command. Ike and Zeke scuttled inside before it could close again. Just a couple of houses down the street, a large trash can sat invitingly next to the culvert on the street. Ike stretched his legs, reached up to the lid, and pushed with all his might to get it open. It fell to the sidewalk with a clatter, scaring them momentarily. But the aroma of the discarded food caught their attention. First Ike, then Zeke climbed up into the can and began their search through the contents.

"Bam! Ping!" The noise brought both of them to the edge of the trash can, tipping the can over onto the sidewalk and spilling the contents. Just a few yards away they could make out Mr. Two Legs, and he was pointing a big stick at them. "Bam!"

"Run, Zeke!" yelled Ike, scurrying off toward the gate with Zeke close behind. The gate opened just as they approached, and they ran as fast as they could down the street, through the forest and to the shore of the lake, where a canoe was waiting for them. They jumped into the canoe and grabbed the paddles to row out onto the lake, where they felt safe.

"Next time, I'll pick the place, okay?" said Zeke, as he glared at Ike through his masked face and brown eyes. "Right now you can find us something to eat! I'm starving!"

Your turn - Link in here and have a special Wednesday!

Linda Kay



22 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Funny story about Ike and Zeke's adventure.. I can picture it happening right on my driveway, lol! Have a happy day!

Mascha said...

Funny and true story... we have raccoons too, here in town (earlier they were sleeping under my old roof and I saw the whole family go out - ) Now the roof is new and they cannot come in.

Michelle F said...

I wonder if they ever got a bite to eat.

Linda, one of your last comments was lost in my emails.
I finally answered it yesterday.
The one about the books. xoxo

John's Island said...

Love the way you tied it in with the canoe! Cute story. Thanks for sharing Linda Kay. John

Cranberry Morning said...

Cute story! I think it's going to be a while before the raccoons are waking in our area, but as soon as they do, we will find poor flattened raccoons on the road. It is so sad. They are the cutest (and destructive) animals. Love seeing them cross the road with their babies.

TexWisGirl said...

shooting a gun in a subdivision? scary! :)

bj said...

Thanks for coming by.
I hope to join this party some time soon..

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

Very cute story Linda. I know we have racoons, however I never see them. Our yard is fenced in. Have a wonderful day.

Shug said...

Oh Linda....
This sure looks like a lot of fun...I'll be sure to have my story for next week.
I certainly enjoyed your cute story...
I'll be joining for sure..
shug

Mike said...

No coon problems around here thank goodness.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

I'm glad Ike and Zeke got away!

Karen S. said...

Interesting story, and such wild fun!

DeniseinVA said...

Lovely story, lovely post. Thanks for the invite Linda Kay, I will link up right after I send this. Have a great day :)

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Ike and Zeke have their way with the trashcans (and birdfeeders) all the time.

No bang sticks (let alone raccoon-proof fences...is there really such a thing?).
~

William Kendall said...

It's oddly fitting naming raccoons Ike and Zeke.

Rebecca said...

And that is likely just how it goes down!

Gail said...

Cute

Dixie@dcrelief said...

Very imaginative, and I suspect they were at my house last weekend! LOL.

Linda said...

Cute and witty.

The Yum List said...

Great! Loved the characters.

Amy at love made my home said...

You have such a great imagination!! xx

Rory Bore said...

I have had my garbage pilfered by raccoons and I absolutely 100% believe this is exactly how it happened! haha

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...