Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Escape #2

This is a continuation of a story posted last Thursday on this site. Linking in today with Josie 2 Shoes for Two Shoes Tuesday and the words "name" and "normal". Thanks for hosting Josie...hope it's okay to use your prompts in my story.
Two Shoes Tuesdsay
After gathering all her luggage, Frances walked along the railing of the ship and down the gangplank, selecting a taxi waiting at the curb. She adjusted her cap to cover her eyebrows, meeting the sunglasses she had worn almost the entire trip. From the computer on the ship she had found a reasonably priced hotel near the wharf, so the taxi ride was short and swift. Her ears perked as she heard the noise of the English sirens traveling in the opposite direction. She checked into the hotel and placed one of her bags in the hotel safe, and asked if there was a pharmacy close by. There she purchased some hair dye and a scissors and returned to her room.

It had been some time since she had dyed her hair. Her friend had helped her in high school to change her red hair to an auburn, which she loved. Now she would be going from blonde to a dark auburn. She had even worn her cap for her passport picture to disguise her blonde hair. With careful snips with the scissors, she was able to reduce her long hair to a short bob, and admired the result in the mirror. Next she needed some different clothes. Frances spent the next couple of hours browsing in the shops and purchasing some clothes that would blend in to her environment.

Satisfied that she had covered all the bases, Frances decided to venture out to a cafe nearby for a sandwich. She was exhausted, despite the amount of sleep she had secured on the ship, but a coffee and a warm sandwich would solve the gnawing in her stomach. The food on the ship was abundant, but her appetite was not up to it.

It was a warm, sunny afternoon. The cafe was somewhat crowded with what appeared to be tourists, perhaps even some from among her fellow passengers. She placed her order, then watched people come and go from the tables. It was peaceful, and for the first time, she began to relax. Her sunglasses still covered her eyes in the setting sun.

“You’ve changed your hair.”

Frances could feel the blood draining from her face as she turned to see a man standing beside her. How could they find her this fast?

“I’m Jack Parsons. I saw you on the ship a couple of times, but didn’t get a chance to introduce myself. I thought you were blonde.” He sat down in a chair at her table. “Mind if I join you?”

“Um, I guess not,” she answered as he pulled out a chair at the table, assuming he would get a positive answer.

“I’m Frances.” It would be normal to give only the first name at this point. “I’m just having a quick sandwich and am headed back to the hotel for a good night’s sleep.” If she remained aloof, perhaps he would leave her alone.  

Where do we go from here? Will she get to know Jack, or will she avoid any future contact? What is the news back in New York?

Join me tomorrow for another picture story at Wednesday Wit and Wisdom.

Linda Kay

20 comments:

John's Island said...

Hi Linda Kay, I don't think aloofness will stop him, but I'll be back tomorrow to see! :-) John

eViL pOp TaRt said...

I think this story is compelling, and I'm interesting in where it's going. I don't think he will be putoff easily.

Carola Bartz said...

I love your writing.
I'm pretty sure he will be back. But who is he? yes, what IS going on in New York?

TexWisGirl said...

run, girlie, run!

Lady Lilith said...

Oh boy this is looking really good. Very suspenseful. I cannot wait to see where you will take it from here.

Linda said...

Linda, I don't think he will be put off easily. :)

Mike said...

Jack Parsons? THE Jack Parsons?

Val said...

Well, I wasn't here last week so I'll jump over to that post and then read this one.

Val said...

This is a good and exciting story, Linda Kay. Although it was self-defense, she did an awful thing that will haunt her, even if she never gets caught. I like happily ever afters, but you never know. I'd like to see her name cleared.

William Kendall said...

She would do well to remain aloof at this point in her life!

DeniseinVA said...

Very enjoyable read Linda Kay. I look forward the next installment.

Cherdo said...

I don't know, but I hope she has both antennae up...

Thanks, Linda!

Gosia k said...

Lovely post I would like to write as you

The Yum List said...

I think she'll avoid him today, but he'll keep popping up again.

Old Egg said...

When she gets back to the hotel she has to book out straight away and try to lose herself somewhere else. Best to get a taxi to take her to a Railway station so the driver can't be quizzed where she has gone.

p.s. It is most unlikely that any passport photo would be accepted with something covering the hair...certainly not in Australia.

Dixie@dcrelief said...

Maybe a wig for the passport photo.
So he saw her on the ship? Hmm? I think I'd bag the sandwich for take away, and leave now.

Rory Bore said...

oh this is eerily similar to actual events that happened when my husband and I were in Cuba. A couple had arrived at the resort and we met them that night at dinner and then sat with them during the evening entertainment. The next morning they approached us at breakfast looking completely different!! she had dyed her hair very very red and it was also curly, and he had shaved his hair completely off! They had told us the previous night that they had been on a "world tour" of traveling: Mexico, Jamaica, Bahamas, Panama
Hubby and I just looked at each other: like, are they missionaries, or drug dealers? LOL

Mary Hill said...

I hope you continue this story. It was very mysterious. I want to know so much now. I think the man is after her. Why else would he have paid such close attention? He is either evil or borderline. Maybe she sways him? What is she running from. Intriguing. ;)

Janie Junebug said...

Will Jack be a nice guy? Is it rude to mention her hair? He doesn't compliment the change. I'm suspicious of Jack, but perhaps you'll surprise me.

Love,
Janie

Josie Two Shoes said...

It seems that her best plans for disguise have failed her quite quickly, and I think this is so true of life in general, at some point the truth always outs itself, and to believe otherwise is folly. Best to face the music straight on I think. I suspect she will find herself digging a deeper hole before this is through! Very intriguing story, Linda Kay!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...