Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Escape #5

This is a continuing story from prompts by Josie at Two Shoes Tuesday. You can read earlier installments on my Tuesday posts. Thanks for hosting. The words Josie has chosen for this week are "fantasy" and "fool", which you will find as a part of this story.

Eric offered to take her around to a few apartment buildings to find a safe and secure place to stay. In the second building, Frances found a one-bedroom with a small kitchen that would suit her well. At her hotel room, she repacked her baggage. Within just the one day, she had found a more permanent spot to call home.


She had time to practice her Spanish as she waited for her work permit, carrying on total Spanish conversations with Eric over morning coffee. During the day, she found some second hand shops. In these she found a bed and a few pieces of furniture for her apartment, but bought a new mattress and springs and some linens to complete her shopping at another store. At a local bank, she opened an account, but put most of her funds into a lock box. The visa and work permit process was completed with the week, and Frances began her new job at the cafe.

“Tell me more about yourself, Eric,” Frances directed in her choppy Spanish, as she watched him paint.

No hay mucho que contar.” (Not much to tell). I was studying in the States this past semester, and will probably go back in the fall. But being here in Spain, I’m considering taking a semester to study here, or maybe even a year, as it would be foolish for me to leave now. I’ve served my time in the military, and I just want some time to think about where and how to spend my life. What about you?”
 
Frances smiled at him, then turned away. “It’s a bit complicated, Eric. Let’s just say that I’m recently widowed, and I need some time away from New York to begin a new single life. You’ve been so helpful.”
 
“I’m sorry to hear about your husband. How did he die?”
 
“Let’s change the subject, okay? I’m not ready to talk about it.”
 
“How about dinner with me tonight? I’ll find a place near Retiro Park, and we can have a nice stroll after we eat. Sound like fun?”
 
Eric arrived at her apartment around six. Together they walked to the restaurant Eric had chosen. He ordered a Ribera del Duero tempranillo to accompany their tapas and a lasagna. After dinner they walked the short distance to the Park and strolled along the wide sidewalks as skate boarders weaved around them. They sat for a short time by the water, enjoying the ducks and geese. Frances was beginning to think all this was a fantasy, and that she would wake up soon.
 
“I still have so much trouble understanding the conversations, even the little kids who are playing here. I guess that will come in time.  I want them to just slow down a little,” Frances laughed at her ignorance of the language.
 
Eric put his arm around her, pulling her toward him. Then he kissed her on the cheek.
 
“Paciencia mi dulce,” (Patience, my sweet) he said, smiling. “Let’s get you home to your apartment.”


They walked back to the entrance of the park, not noticing the man sitting with his back to them on a bench nearby. 

More to come next Tuesday. What do you think about the man on the park bench? How safe is Frances?

Have a great day!
Linda Kay

14 comments:

John's Island said...

Hmmm ... Looks like I'll be back next week. :-) They should have paid more attention to that guy on the bench nearby!

Tom said...

What a handsome conservatory! Tom The Backroads Traveller

TexWisGirl said...

ooh. here comes the chase...

Dixie@dcrelief said...

He's the guy from the airplane and hotel.

Mike said...

There are a lot of fantasy fool stories these days.

ivy walker said...

hmmmmmmmm? that's it just hmmmmmmm?

Ok I also have to say.... Miss Polly! oh so cute!!!! Just noticed her on your header!

Gosia k said...

your photos are great

William Kendall said...

Trouble is coming!

Val said...

Fool? or Fantasy? I am enthralled with the continuing story. I love how you infuse your knowledge and photos of Spain into the story - not to mention the wine.

Old Egg said...

She is silly to take her mind off her problems and not be alert at all times. Clearly she can't trust anybody but that encounter with Jack when she arrived should have made her more wary and not be blindsided by a local guy (perhaps!) who is willing to help her.

Anita said...

I like the way you have developed the story, Linda!

Rory Bore said...

oh... the hairs on my arms stood up!!
I think that would be the creepiest thing ever -- to discover someone was watching you when you didn't know it.
she doesn't sound very safe at all.

The Yum List said...

Leaving us in suspense... shall have to wait until next Tuesday to find out who the mysterious man is.

Josie Two Shoes said...

This was sweet, but she is far too trusting, and moving far too fast in forming a new relationship with someone she knows nothing about. I'm guessing that the man behind the newspaper is no coincidence. When one lives on the run there is never a place of peace. Her past will collide with her in time, it always does.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...