Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Escape






Celebrity Cruises


Felicia managed to secure a ticket aboard an ocean liner with a European destination, many miles from her home in New York. She gazed out over the water, so blue and still, and rubbed her arm, where a deep bruise was still visible.  That was the last time he had hurt her.

He had come home from carousing drunk, raging and slamming things around the room. The drink he had poured for himself, tumbled to the floor spilling its contents in a wide circle of splatters. Felicia ran to get a towel from the bathroom to clean up the mess before he demanded it. As she bent down, he kicked her and sent her sprawling, her dress now stained with the liquor. A piece of glass was embedded in the palm of her hand. She picked up a large piece of glass on the floor just as he pulled her to her feet. With one swipe of the glass, she cut a large gash in his neck. Holding his neck, he fell to the floor, blood gushing and forming a puddle around him on the white carpet.

She stood there momentarily, looking at his now still form, her mind racing. There was no one to turn to. She was alone. The police might understand her self-defense, but his family would not. Felicia was not safe from them. Stories she had heard of their vengeance gave her a momentary chill. It was only Friday, and she had the weekend to get away. She knew people. In the bathroom, she cleaned the glass and the blood from her hands. A quick phone call put things in motion for a new passport, a new identity.

Her first stop was at the bank, where she withdrew all the cash from the accounts. Her next stop was at a seedy little shop near the harbor, where she would now become Frances. With her new passport and identity in hand, she purchased a ticket on the cruise liner bound for England. They would sail the following day. She found a hotel near the harbor to spend the night. Everything was in order.

How soon would they find him? The police would look for her, but worse, the family would have messages out all over New York with a price on her head. She trembled at the thought. Sleep eluded her, as thoughts of running and thoughts of being caught filled her mind. 

The next morning she boarded the ship and set sail for England with passengers happy and celebrating the trip that would take them to new sites. For Felicity it was a trip that would be the beginning of a new life as Frances. Were there any mistakes? Would she ever feel safe?

Linking in today with Two Shoes Tuesday. Thanks for hosting, Josie!

What do you think? Should I continue this story? Any thoughts of what will happen next to help me out?

Linda Kay


22 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

A great start to the story. I hope she gets away.

Tabor said...

Thinking practically will she be able to hide her identity? The passport will let our country know she is there and they will extradite her. You will have to resolve this in my mind. it does have an energetic beginning.

The Furry Gnome said...

Scary!

Anita said...

Hope she'll be ok.
Do continue with the series, Lina!
Looks interesting :)

TexWisGirl said...

glad she's gotten away!

Jeanne said...

YES!!! continue the story Linda Kay. I'm hooked. Smile! What is the name of the book? We are listening to a book called "Alter of Eden" by James Rollins. We always have a book on tape going while we drive anywhere. We love this way of getting good books to hear. Do you ever do that?

Much warmer here now and the snow is gone. It will be 50's and 60's for 10 days but still in the 30's at night. Spring is on it's way.

Have a happy day,
xo, Jeanne

Jutta.K said...

Dear linda,
thank you for visiting my blog. and your comment.
The bottom right picture represents a Wig, it must have apparently lost someone.For whatever reason
♥ly greetings from germnay

Mage said...

This is a proper scary story. I too hope she vanishes into the English countryside.

I've been having a terrible time leaving a note. Hoping I am not banished,

Mike said...

She should use her new identity to stay in New York and dispose of the rest of the family.

whiteangel said...

He is brutal in your story...

Amy at love made my home said...

My goodness that is quite a story just from the thought of a cruise! You really have an amazing imagination! xx

The Yum List said...

I've never been on a cruise. I have mixed feelings about them as I'm a little afraid of the water.

Janie Junebug said...

Oh, yes, please continue. I want her to be all right.

Love,
Janie

William Kendall said...

Very vivid! Nicely done.

DeniseinVA said...

This is the start of a great story. I'm looking forward to the next installment.

Josie Two Shoes said...

Excellent story! I can understand too well how this could happen. I would hate to be in the position though of spending the rest of my life hiding and running and looking over my shoulder wondering if I might trip up somehow and be caught. It is tragic that the victims sometimes find themselves the ones who are judged guilty.

Dixie@dcrelief said...

I think she should meet a man on the cruise, vacationing from Scotland Yard. But they are both scanty about life details.
He suspects his own sister had poisoned their Mum for inheritance. Somehow he learns of his cruise companion's problem... and makes the NY family think his sister is this new woman. They kill her instead, thinking everything is settled.

But a newbie agent begins to put things together and... She wants a promotion.

Rory Bore said...

Oh, I confess: I hope she gets away and lives a fabulous life!!!
what a great start to a story.

Saucy Kodz said...

Sorry, I do not read books that have this sort of brutality towards women. I wish her the best of luck on her journey. And seeing as you started the book this way, I know they will meet again. Please do not be offended. I think its great that you write.

ivy walker said...

You do have to wonder if anywhere in the world would be safe for someone like this.

Cherdo said...

Run, girl, run!!! SPLASH!

Oops, my bad.

Val said...

wow. My mouth is hanging open. I hope she cleaned up that blood well enough.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...