Friday, March 6, 2015

Friday Stuff

I really love to do these Friday blog hops, as it makes me look at the week and what has happened in my life. I'm not positive that it will have any interest for you, but anyway, I'm sharing.

1. First of all, let me share a couple of pictures of this awful frosty weather we have had in the Hill Country. Although it does look beautiful, it is TOO COLD, despite all the "oh, really" comments that will come from all by blogger friends in Boston, Canada, and basically anywhere north of us.


2. Have I mentioned that my hubby likes to keep stuff....lots of antiques (that's okay) but also old textbooks, and paper and magazines. We emptied out two file cabinets last year from which he culled some old blue prints and documents, but he stacked the rest on the floor of this enormous closet in our family room. The shelves are lined with old textbooks that "you'll never know when you might need that information." But he is finally now sorting through the files that make me crazy to get them off the floor. Did I say "nag"? 



I do have to mention here that he found some things that were pretty interesting, and he is making progress, bless his little pea-pickin' heart.

3. This cartoon was on the Internet for someone celebrating a birthday. Some of you who are the wonderful cooks might get a kick out of this one.
4. How about a tree house update. Jer is working on the shutters for the windows and door in the tree house, but the ladder and the railing are now up. When he finishes the shutters, it will be stained and finally ready for the kids. Some of the staining has already started. My daughter has decided that it will be easier with a spray gun to get into all the grooves, etc.



The Railing and the ladder are in place.


This is a shot of the railing from the deck.




Today the shutters went up on the side to cover the window. Just another set of shutters and a door, and the job will be complete except for the rest of the stain. I think when it is stained it will almost disappear into the woods. I'll post a last picture when it is finally done.


5. Just a random thought. My youngest (of three) granddaughter called me when I was in a meeting. I suggested that I call her back in about a half hour, and my thoughts immediately went to whether she needed some money for something. Shame on me. What she wanted was to talk to me about the major she has chosen for college, and what did I think of the university who offered it? I had to sit down. This sort of thing just doesn't happen very often. We do have some college savings for each of the three girls, so we discussed how her money would go further if she went first to junior college, fulfilled all her basic requirements, then transferred into the university. She will have to borrow funds for education beyond our stash. So now she is going to visit with both advisers, the jc and the university, to make sure she is taking all the transferable classes. She can live at home and keep her job, saving some money in the meantime.  It all just made my day!!

Linking in today with Willy Nilly Friday 5 and Five on Friday. Thanks for hosting!

Linda Kay

25 comments:

whiteangel said...

The tree house looks sturdy. Eldest son is building one for his nearly 3 year old.
Education is expensive, then there is getting a job when all done.
That cartoon is priceless :)

Dixie@dcrelief said...

Those photos make it look so cold. Brr. Love tree houses, I miss our old one.
Very funny cartoon(smile).

eileeninmd said...

The tree house is looking great, I am sure it will provide many hours of playtime.. have a happy weekend!

The Furry Gnome said...

It's so not fair when our wives tell us to get rid of our books!

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

I culled three stacks 4' tall out of my office--of my professional library. I guess I'd never have to certify again...write any new papers. Then I culled all the fiction I'll never read again, or now have on my Kindle, to go the the veterans hospital. Filled five garbage bags. Hard to believe my office is so neat...and not claustrophobic any longer. Amazing.

Tabor said...

Jealous for all the fun that some are going to be having in that tree house.

Lin Floyd said...

beautiful tree house-I'm impressed. Grand kids do grow up fast. my oldest are 16 almost 17 and we talked college this last weekend. I too suggested jr. college for the same reason. That's what I did!

John's Island said...

Hi Linda Kay, Neat selection of 5 for Friday. I like your hubby working on the collection. Doing that here too, especially after going through a move. Thanks for your comments on my blog ... by the way, those photos today ... they are both sunsets, just different days ... thus the similarity. :-) Have a great weekend! John

eViL pOp TaRt said...

It looks like it's a beautiful, safe tree house. Great job!

TexWisGirl said...

the tree house is just awesome. love the 'pea-picker'. :)

Linda W. said...

That's quite a tree house! I love frosty mornings. Cold, yes, but always lovely things to photograph.

Cherdo said...

Love the tree house AND I love it that your granddaughter came to you for advice. I think that shows a great deal of maturity, in light of the fact that you are helping her financially. Too many young people just feel entitled to things. She has a good head on her shoulders.

Have a good weekend, Linda!

Amy at love made my home said...

Great things!! The tree house looks fantastic doesn't it, it will be wonderful when it is all done. How great that your granddaughter called you to talk about college and share with you, you must be so proud of her!!! Thank you so much for joining in, great to have you! I hope that you have a great weekend! xx

Lexa Cain said...

Hi Linda, I'm visiting from the "Celebrate" blog-hop! My hubby is a hoarder too. He won't even throw away broken things because he's convinced they'll come in handy "someday." I've been waiting years for "someday" to arrive... I love the comic and the tree house is awesome! It's wonderful that your granddaughter is not only seeking advice but willing to take it. That's rare in teens. Have a lovely weekend!

Mike said...

Make really really sure all the credits are transferable.

Gosia k said...

I would like to sit in your tree house

DeniseinVA said...

Lovely tree house. It is coming along beautifully. Lucky kids!

William Kendall said...

The tree house looks in good shape.

Linda said...

Linda, the treehouse is like a dream. I love them, and this one looks really nice.

Mage said...

Both these are just wonderful. Yes, the treehouse makes dreams come true, and there is no life without school.

Janie Junebug said...

#5. Apply for every scholarship on God's green Earth.

Now I'll have to say something this weekend to Willy Dunne Wooters about his pea-pickin' heart. I haven't heard that expression in a long time.

Love,
Janie

Janie Junebug said...

I forgot to say that it was so warm yesterday that I turned on the AC during the evening. Then a cold front moved in, the rain came pouring down, and no more AC required. We're back to using the furnace. It's 46 degrees at 9:38 p.m.

Love again,
Janie

Betsy Adams said...

Great idea about Junior College. One of my granddaughters has decided to do that for 2 years. It will really save her/family so much money....

Love love love the treehouse... I know a bunch of grandkids who will love it.

My husband has his piles also---but recently, has been working on the clean-up a bit. Of course, my section of the Office isn't perfect either... haha

Hugs,
Betsy

Mascha said...

The tree house is very pretty and stable.
Frost is only nice on photos... it must not be in this time.
Have a nice and warmer weekend

Rose said...

I so want that tree house...It is really looking good. What a pleasant surprise in #5...

I have been trying to get rid of things here, too. I had so much stuff from when my MIL died...stuff that I did not want to keep...stuff not worth two cents. Last summer I finally got rid of a big deal of it...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...