Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Homeless

Thanks to all who stopped by to join in last Wednesday!

Here's hoping some of you might join me in posting a story with a picture for Wednesday Wit and Wisdom.  The challenge is to post a picture, then write a short story or a poem about the picture.  When you have your story written, you can link up for others to read.  Feel free to also add your picture and story to another link of your choice. The link up is on my WWW page here.


Here is this Wednesday's picture and story.
I don't want him to take my picture. 

Some nice gentleman down the street bought a scone and a cup of coffee for me, and it has stopped the gurgling in my stomach. This situation of homelessness is so new to me. Some of the people I have met in the underground gave me ideas about where to go to get food and some clothes. So many restaurants here throw out items the tourists won't eat, but they will help me get by for another day. The church around the corner gave me some clothes and shoes, as mine were getting pretty tattered and worn. 

My husband died a few months ago and my landlord kicked me out. He knew I didn't have any source of income, and our rent was two months overdue. We had no money. My husband had been sick for some time, and with no income our food was running out as well. The medicine was too expensive, and I couldn't care for him any longer. We have no friends or family here to help me and I have no skills to work. I have been to every store along the street, but they look at me with judgmental eyes. This morning the man who bought my coffee told me to go to a shelter for women, but it is two miles away into the city. If I walk there I might not get back to the tunnels by night, and I'm afraid of the darkness. 

A car stopped along the street. The lady invited me to get into the car to take me to the shelter. I'm afraid. How can they help me? What will I have to do for the assistance? The lady tells me the shelter can help me find a place to sleep, feed me good food, and help me learn a skill for a job. The clouds that have hung over my head for so many weeks begin to part to let some sunshine through. Maybe I can dare to have hope for tomorrow that things will be better. If I could just have one more chance!

What about you? Are you ready to help to give someone just that one more chance that will make a difference in the future? Arrange your time, dig into your pockets, and reach out to those who have no hope. God will bless  you for making the sacrifice.

Linda Kay

13 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Helping the homeless is a good example of the works of mercy. Sometimes I would volunteer food and work at a kitchen serving them.

whiteangel said...

We don't have homeless people like many places do. Of course there are some but I never see them...

Michelle F said...

Our homeless are not quite as obvious.
In the town of Athens you will find them walking through town, esp. at night.
There are some who sit on the corners and play some kind of instrument.
Most are pretty good, too.

However, we do hear about those who live under the overpasses, as while as a little commune here & there. But, we rarely see them.

I have volunteered at food banks, shelters and the like.

TexWisGirl said...

a frightening scenario and i believe too many people are perched on that precipice every day.

Mike said...

In downtown St. Louis there is a homeless shelter that has been there for quite awhile. It is now under assault from the metrosexuals that are trying to revitalize that area of downtown. The shelter is on the verge of being closed down.

Dixie@dcrelief said...

I have helped, and I've been helped. Either path is humbling and a blessing. Love your post, Linda Kay!

William Kendall said...

Very effectively written.

The Yum List said...

Good message and thoughtful question.

Linda said...

I helped a homeless man who had a cat with him...this was like 25 or so years ago. Anyway, when I was in the papers that he had died it broke my heart. His ex girlfriend took his cat in, though, to life the rest of its life with her.

Cherdo said...

Everyone who would read your well-written post is in a better situation that most of the world. When you think of it like that, how can you not help?

Gosia k said...

Helping to homeless is a nice idea but in Poland a lot of people who are sitting in the street begging have homes but need money for alcohols...,. Just a problem so I give money only to charity organisations. It is my point of view

Amy at love made my home said...

A very moving story. xx

Rory Bore said...

beautiful! just inspiring - and we should not just leave this as a story, but do more in our lives to make this come true for so many.
We don't have many homeless in our small town, but I got a recent reminder when I spent a weekend in the city that the problem still exists. And this is the freezing time cold of winter. we took some extra blankets and socks -- sometimes even the little things can help.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...